Camping in someone elses camp!?

This past week I spent four days scouting a unit for deer and elk. When i arrived to spots we had found on OnX, I realized this spot was someone's designated camp spot. What I mean is I found multiple meat racks, hitching posts, split firewood, fire pits, even multiple toilets(wooden box with toilet seat). So my question is what do you do if this is the area you found elk? Do you set up camp and use it?

Wapiti1

WKR
I'd ignore it, find a suitable camp site for little ol' me in the spot I wanted to hunt and hunt. If others have camp setup in the same area, that's nice. Although that sounds like a pretty elaborate setup so I would suspect outfitter. Not that it matters much.

Public land has these issues and you just have to roll with it. If you had plans that didn't include other hunters, probably should consider how to use them to your advantage. Pattern the hunters just like the critters.

Jeremy

WoodrowCall

Lil-Rokslider
Camp near the spot? Sure, maybe...

Burn their wood they worked to split? Absolutely not. Doing things like that is where outfitters (assuming it's an outfitter) develop distaste for DIY hunters.

Ask yourself a simple question: If it were my camp and I put in the work ahead of season, would I want to show up and find someone camped there using my wood, etc.? Yes, it's public land and a free country. Doesn't mean we need to throw common courtesy out the window...

huntnful

WKR
Had this exact same scenario. We camped maybe 200 yards away. The people who spent probably several seasons setting up the other camp did, in fact, show up while we were hunting. They were super cool and I'm sure they were glad we decided to not to set up in their area.

Deerhunter6250

Lil-Rokslider
You don't know what season (bow, muzzleloader, or rifle) they are going to show up or when or if during the archery season. Its a public area. Open to anyone.

Burn their wood they worked to split? Absolutely not. Doing things like that is where outfitters (assuming it's an outfitter) develop distaste for DIY hunters.

Ask yourself a simple question: If it were my camp and I put in the work ahead of season, would I want to show up and find someone camped there using my wood, etc.? Yes, it's public land and a free country. Doesn't mean we need to throw common courtesy out the window...
Lol, the first thing I'm doing once I set my camp up is taking their firewood if it's split and stacked.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Do unto others rings a bell......Find a nearby area and if you run into those fellas, let them know you respectfully left that spot even tho you planned to use it. It will go along way and possibly deter the "who set up camp right near us" situation.
Only an idiot would burn their wood.

3forks

WKR
The outfitter and his clients are bound to show up.

If the clients aren’t there when you show up, but you want to hunt the area, I’d set up your camp further away and get after it.

I try not to be careless while I was hunting and blow the elk out of the area, but I’d be more aggressive than I would hunt if I was in a basin all by myself. When the clients show up, I’d wrap my hunt in the area unless it’s so full of elk you can’t justify leaving, or don’t mind competing with the clients.

All that being said, outfitting on public land has been a component of western hunting forever. In my opinion, knowing where outfitters camps are, or calling the warden in the area you’re hunting and asking about where the outfitters are permitted is part of planning a hunt.

If I randomly came across this unoccupied outfitter camp and elk in the area at the same time, that‘s one thing. But, if I knew that outfitter was using the camp - I’d probably avoid it. Who would want to hunt with competition/company if you can avoid it?

ID_Matt

WKR

I generally agree with this... BUT, just to play devil's advocate, what are the odds that the outfitter shows up and claims it is his hunting area and tries to intimidate you out of the area? A lot of them seem entitled to an area of public land... which can be the reason that DIY hunters develop a distaste for outfitters.