Camping SE NM BLM Land

Boone-In-Wall

Lil-Rokslider
My son and I plan to be in SE NM for some hunting in Nov. I know we can't camp on State Lands, but does anyone have any experience camping on BLM down there? Anyone ever run into a problems with someone messing with your camp? I'm sure its always possible. I'm slightly worried about driving away from our camp and someone coming and jacking our stuff. I wouldn't leave anything of value, but you just never know what kind of A holes are out there.

BBob

WKR
If you are hunting you have a hunt license correct? A hunt license grants you permission to camp on state lands. I don’t know anything about theft down there blm or otherwise.

OP
Boone-In-Wall

Boone-In-Wall

Lil-Rokslider
If you are hunting you have a hunt license correct? A hunt license grants you permission to camp on state lands. I don’t know anything about theft down there blm or otherwise.
That's good to know. We will have a hunting license for sure!

BBob

WKR
There are some restrictions and you can’t always camp anywhere you want. Check your rules so you know what’s up.
And if you haven’t already done so get the CarryMap app and load the NM maps. It’s the official map source for the state of NM. That way if there’s a question on property boundaries you’re on the same page as game and fish or any other state official.

ksp7146

FNG
As stated above, I too would be careful about camping on state land. Having a tag doesn't grant you permission to camp on any state land, and I have met people who were given tickets for making this mistake. Typically, there is so much BLM in that part of the state, I think it is easier to stick to it for camping.
I have camped out there quite a bit with minimal problems from humans. I have more issues with cattle trampling through camp so be mindful of what you leave on the ground. Depending where you are, there is usually a lot of oilfield roads. I try to camp off the main roads and out of site from them as well. I look for older dead end roads without pumpjacks or with an abandoned well for minimal traffic.

dtrkyman

WKR
Contact the local warden, they are listed on game and fish website. might even get some intel on where some deer are.

Felix40

WKR
The recommendation that you can camp on state land with a hunting license is incorrect. You can hunt on it though.

I seriously doubt you will have any issues on BLM as long as you aren’t parked on an oil pad.

Also, you can’t camp within 300 yards of water tanks.

I've camped out there a little. I've never had an issue. I wouldn't leave anything out while I'm out hunting though. The comment about a gas can and tire patch kit are right on. I had a staub pop a tire last time I was out and the tire had to be replaced. Make sure you have a good jack and everything as well. I always sleep in the back of the truck out there. The ground is rough, there's lot of snakes and cactus.

OP
Boone-In-Wall

Boone-In-Wall

Lil-Rokslider
I've camped out there a little. I've never had an issue. I wouldn't leave anything out while I'm out hunting though. The comment about a gas can and tire patch kit are right on. I had a staub pop a tire last time I was out and the tire had to be replaced. Make sure you have a good jack and everything as well. I always sleep in the back of the truck out there. The ground is rough, there's lot of snakes and cactus.
Thanks for the information. I plan to bring a off road kit with tire patch, goo, air compressor, etc. I also don't plan to leave anything of value at the camp other than sleeping bag/tent type stuff.