Can a Browning X-Bolt Pro Hang with a Seekins or Tikka?

I'm currently running a Seekins Havak in a 6.5 PRC but have the option to pick up a brand new Browning X-Bolt Pro McMillan for nearly half off.. What's the verdict on these newer X-Bolt Pros? Chambered in a 6.5 PRC, what are ya'all opinions on accuracy relative to my Seekins? The goal would be to pick this up and set it up in a similar fasion to my Seekins, potentially pass my Seekins over to my dad as a bit of a gift and move into something new to tinker with for myself.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

guylaga

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Xbolt Hells Canyon in 6.5prc. Only two quick trips in the field, and no blood drawn yet.

63 rounds through it at the range however, and accuracy wise I would without hesitation say it is a sub 1MOA maybe even sub .75 for a 5 round group shooting ELDXs.

Dislikes are the very heavy trigger pull, which is a common complaint for Xbots, looks like the Pro has the same "feather trgger" so expect to switch it out.

I believe the Pro has a 24" barrel mine has a 26" which I plan to cut down.

Not being one to talk anyone one of a new rifle, if you have a chance at a good deal I would recommend them. But I'm also not sure if it would be on the same tier as a Seekins.

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
Half off I would grab it and shoot it first. Then pass whichever one you don’t shoot as well to your Dad. Could be a tough choice which one to pass to him though as they both should shoot and both have great stocks!

I would put the X-bolt at the top of the heap for factory rifles... or at least up there with the best.
I have owned and still own several.
I own two Tikkas now (since joining here and being convinced)... love em dearly. But my Xbolt HC Speed in 7RM shoots like a laser. I grab that just as much if not more than the Tikkas. I have maybe 20 other rifles and these three are the most reliable shooters.

180ls1

WKR
Yes, without hesitation. All of mine shoot lights out with factory ammo and hand loads.

I'm not big on measuring but my 300 with factory 225 match is well under 1" at 100. The 6.5prc with hand loads touched bullets at 200. My older a-bolt is around 1" at 100 also.

You'll want a lighter trigger spring ($15).

Last edited:

manitou1

WKR
Yes, without hesitation. All of mine shoot lights out with factory ammo and hand loads.

I'm not big on measuring but my 300 with factory 225 match is well under 1" at 100. The 6.5prc with hand loads touched bullets at 200. My older a-bolt is around 1" at 100 also.

You'll want a lighter trigger spring ($15).
Agreed. I have two X-bolts that are 1/2" shooters consistently with my handloads.
Neither has been picky about bullet or seating depth either.

I actually shot a 5/8" group at 300 yards with one of them a few weeks ago.

My wife has a micro X bolt 6.5 man bun and it will shoot tiny groups at 100 yards….like one ragged five shot group hole…. I don’t know very many guns to do that with factory ammunition….

tom338

FNG
I had a x bolt stalker in 7mm rem mag, had is the key word. Couldn't get it to meet my standards which is 3/4 moa.

I like xbolts, think they have one of the best sporter stock shapes out there. The mcmillan stock on that pro model is a step down from a seekins stock in ergos though, think i'd rather just have a xbolt pro with the browning carbon stock. Hand carrying with their flush fit mags is better than anything AICS based or similar like the seekins carbon mags though.

Fox625

Lil-Rokslider
My .30-06 X-bolt dressed in a McMillian Game Warden owns the best group I have ever shot at .4” x .1” at 200. I’ve owned and shot several and they were all lights out.

OP
T
Did you buy this?
I held off when the Seekins Slam was announced and ultimately ordered that gun. My dad ended up picking up the X-Bolt though. It’s a nice gun and shoots well! Outside of the trigger (which can be switched out), it’s one of the more impressive factory rifles I’ve shot. Change out the trigger spring and I’d assume it’d be right there with a Seekins Havak PH2

mike1950

FNG
I held off when the Seekins Slam was announced and ultimately ordered that gun. My dad ended up picking up the X-Bolt though. It’s a nice gun and shoots well! Outside of the trigger (which can be switched out), it’s one of the more impressive factory rifles I’ve shot. Change out the trigger spring and I’d assume it’d be right there with a Seekins Havak PH2
Thank you for quick reply

DW1996

FNG
I had some older A-bolts that were absolute hammers, I can't imagine the X-bolts not being the same. Both are super smooth actions, hard to go wrong with either.