Can anyone give me a head's up on Boise?

sneaky

"DADDY"
We only have dial-up internet here and everybody is a character from Napoleon Dynamite. Also, packs of rabid wolves roaming the streets. I really doubt you'll like it.
Yep, barely made it to my car right at dark with those damn things nipping at my heels!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

maverick351

Lil-Rokslider
I used to live in Nampa and have wated to go back so badly because I still miss Idaho but lately with all the Californians and such my friends up there said its not worth it and they are considering leaving.

HookUp

WKR
Most Californians are moving to Texas. There is so many to go around it feels like they are taking over Western other state to ruin their horrible politics.

I have family in Boise and the area is exploding with people and houses. Winter range has houses around the edges, IDFG is doing a decent job of keeping it protected.

jmcd22

WKR
I have family in Boise and the area is exploding with people and houses. Winter range has houses around the edges, IDFG is doing a decent job of keeping it protected.

Not much they can do to be honest. Land is going to the highest bidder and the state government just passed a few bills that basically cap our net public lands where they are currently at. In other words, if land is bought and public use is granted, then an equal sized portion of land can be sold by the state for private use. Sad day for Idaho public land owners when this passed.

They also approved the building of 2000+ homes in two different key wintering areas. One is just north of Eagle on state highway 55 and the other is somewhere in the foothills north of Boise near Cartwright Rd. The only place the animals have left at this point is higher elevations of the Boise foothills or further east of Boise in the desert.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Not much they can do to be honest. Land is going to the highest bidder and the state government just passed a few bills that basically cap our net public lands where they are currently at. In other words, if land is bought and public use is granted, then an equal sized portion of land can be sold by the state for private use. Sad day for Idaho public land owners when this passed.

They also approved the building of 2000+ homes in two different key wintering areas. One is just north of Eagle on state highway 55 and the other is somewhere in the foothills north of Boise near Cartwright Rd. The only place the animals have left at this point is higher elevations of the Boise foothills or further east of Boise in the desert.
Good grief, did they actually pass that? That's a disaster for the deer in those areas. I believe Idaho politicians are more on the take than Utah's, and that is saying a lot.

OP
A

Augustus46

Lil-Rokslider
I really hate being this way but the last thing this area needs is more people...but seeing as you are from SLC and a member of Rokslide, you are welcome to come! ;) We need to offset all these GD Californians that are coming here haha!

I appreciate it! If it makes you feel any better I am Idaho born and raised but I have heard that a lot of Cali people have been moving up there recently. Granted Utah is probably half Californians at the moment.

Boise native here. Boise is nothing like it was ten yards ago due to the California invasion. Many of the people I know in Boise are moving out or considering a move. Really unfortunate all around.

I’ll add, probably not much. We moved here 6 years ago. Let me put my flame suit on. We came for a better life, to get away from crowds and have more control over our kid’s education. A bunch of people came before us and a bunch after. Boise has been growing for decades. In fact, last year 11,000+ households moved to the valley. That happened before in the 90’s as well. It sucks because it makes it more crowded and open space is fast disappearing. I know I am part of the problem because I moved here after growing up in rural NorCal, living in Nevada and then back in NorCal. People from all over are moving here. Californians don’t make up the majority, but are likely the single largest population moving in.

Anyway, we accomplished some of what we wanted. After having lived in Northern (rural parts), Bay Area, central cal, southern cal and Northern Nevada, this is the best place we have lived. I do wish we could live somewhere smaller, but work demands keep us in the valley.

Trailheads and locations are busy. 2 hours, 3 hours, 4 hours. Good hunting and fishing means locals and outsiders come to do it. Last year where we hunted, there was a steady stream of trucks, UTVs, etc on the forest roads. Ran into hunters in an area that is pretty rough country. It is what it is.

I don’t know if the quality of jobs is better here or in SLC. There is very low unemployment in the valley, but I do think there is a lack of high paying jobs. It is challenging in the valley to buy a house on a single income if you aren’t bring proceeds from another sale. Yes, they can be had, but it can be tough. The further away from town you go, the more value you get.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not to hijack the thread, but the "no net gains public land" bill has only passed the Idaho House....so far. The Senate has not passed it yet, and Gov Little has not yet signed it. Even if that happens, the USFS and BLM don't have to abide by it. Federal land is not under state control, this is merely Idaho politicians wasting time, money, and resources to make a point. Good thing is, now you can see how your reps voted on this bill and remember that info when election day comes. I will be voting against 2 of my 3 current reps when that time comes, and urging my local FS and BLM managers to ignore this useless bill in the meantime.

jmcd22

WKR
Not to hijack the thread, but the "no net gains public land" bill has only passed the Idaho House....so far. The Senate has not passed it yet, and Gov Little has not yet signed it. Even if that happens, the USFS and BLM don't have to abide by it. Federal land is not under state control, this is merely Idaho politicians wasting time, money, and resources to make a point. Good thing is, now you can see how your reps voted on this bill and remember that info when election day comes. I will be voting against 2 of my 3 current reps when that time comes, and urging my local FS and BLM managers to ignore this useless bill in the meantime.

What you're saying is true but I would be comfortable betting on both bills passing the Senate and the governors desk. I hope I am wrong but I just don't see where they are going to shut it down. Also, I believe one of the bills forces the 'wilderness' to drop that protection which would allow them to use that land for private interests. I may have misunderstood the intentions of that bill, but nonetheless, neither of them are good and I too will be voting against the representatives that voted for these bills.

Back to the OP, the great thing about Idaho and Boise is that while most of the people here hate to see the direction the Treasure Valley is going, most of us are welcoming and understand why you want to be here. Where the locals get upset is when these out of staters come here and try to change Idaho to the state that they came from and when they don't check their attitudes at the state line. The 'big city' attitude doesn't get people very far around here and it leaves a foul taste in many peoples mouths.

jmcd22

WKR
Good grief, did they actually pass that? That's a disaster for the deer in those areas. I believe Idaho politicians are more on the take than Utah's, and that is saying a lot.

The bills have only made it through the Senate but I personally don't see the House or the Governor stopping them...I hope they prove me wrong. The subdivision up 55 has already started if that's what you are asking about. They are building right before Shadow Valley Golf Course. As far as the other subdivision, I never get to that area of town so I have no idea how much progress has been made.

Gli_ryan

FNG
I live up north a ways. Pay isn’t great for most jobs I’ve looked at, but lots of public land. A trade off I’m taking for now. Quite a bit of animosity towards out of staters the farther north you go it seems, realistically it’s probably spread out evenly. Which is funny because up here a lot of the Californians are liberitarians, and very active ones at that. Anyways, it’s nice. Hunting seasons are pretty decent.

Too many troublesome Bill's lately. I sent at least a dozen emails to representatives last week on everything from red flag laws to public lands. I don't know if they'll listen they often seem not to.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Billinsd

WKR
I used to live in Nampa and have wated to go back so badly because I still miss Idaho but lately with all the Californians and such my friends up there said its not worth it and they are considering leaving.
I know some guys at work that considered retiring in Boise, but didn't like all the subdivisions. Lots of Californians. I want to get away from that when I retire.

Boise is becoming popular among westerners for sure. We are trying to beat the rush, but unfortunately, it sounds like I am part of that rush.

Moving to Meridian late April.

Anyway, looking forward to meet people with similar interests.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

JWP58

WKR
If not for a state income tax I'd live in ID near Boise. Alas they do have a state income tax....

MikeG

Lil-Rokslider
I really hate being this way but the last thing this area needs is more people...but seeing as you are from SLC and a member of Rokslide, you are welcome to come! ;) We need to offset all these GD Californians that are coming here haha!

In all seriousness though, I have spent most of my life here and it is changing more and more with each day that passes. I saw a statistic that said there are 40 people a day on average moving here and I believe that number is accurate. I've seen the value of my home rise over 35% in just two years. I only bring that up because if you are looking to move here, you should be aware that home supply is very, very low.

The hunting used to be superb around Boise but with the population explosion, it is getting harder and harder to get away from the crowds. Unit 39 had over 13,000 hunters last year for rifle deer season. Elk had 3,500. But there are still good places to hunt...you'll just have to make the drive as others have already pointed out.

All in all, it is a good place to live even with all of the changes but it is slowly becoming like every other major city. Good luck!
^^^ This, so much this!

Gobbler36

WKR
It’s full but feel free to contribute to the downfall of the place like me

I’m already thinking about a move.I moved here from the southeast but I had no clue to the amount of people moving here, I laugh at myself because I thought “who the hell moves to Idaho, this is gonna be great. Virgin hunntin ground” surprise all of California is flocking here

Last edited:

MikeG

Lil-Rokslider
The valley is growing at an astonishing rate. While I much prefer the Boise of 20 years ago, I still haven't found a place I'd rather live.

I’m a Californian who is very much considering the move to Idaho. Although looking more in the Pocatello area than Boise. Plan to bank enough cash here in CA to buy a place outright there. Kind of disheartening to hear about the direction Idaho is heading.