Can I Get more Range?

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
If it’s strictly for practice you could use the top of your level as a reference point
That's a good point! Judging by pin gaps, I'm thinking that would get me right about 100yds...and that's basically just for fun. 🎯

What I may try doing is centering the 40yd pin in the housing since I have plenty of room before I get fletching contact. I'm thinking that'd give me a bit more intuitive sight picture when dialing. Anyone run their sight this way?

Last edited:

OR Archer

WKR
As I chew on this, part of me is wondering if there is really any way to get more distance out of this while keeping an indicator on 20yds (which I don't necessarily need, but it's nice to be able to dial from 20-40). I've got the indicator and slider all the way to the top for that 20yd pin and that 92yds for the 40yd pin is all the way to the bottom; maybe with my ~250fps arrows I'm just at the limits of adjustment?

Archery makes such a great mid-winter tinker project! :geek:
Are you running the stock indicators? Those sights some with an additional set that will sit higher up.

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
Are you running the stock indicators? Those sights some with an additional set that will sit higher up.
From what I can tell, the spare set are the same size as the ones already installed. I should double check that and maybe give MBG a call.

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
Well after some guidance from Swift, I moved the sight in and turned the bow up just a few lbs to try getting closer to 100yd max. It'll now go out to 94yd based on the tape.
IMG_20200210_173135.jpg

Thanks for all the input

Walking Birds

Lil-Rokslider
What distance did you establish your peep height at?

Reset your peep height for 40yds and you will gain more adjustment (assuming you set it up for 20yds)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this ^
when I first got my black gold, I set the peep for 20, and when I got my bow restrung, the bow tech said to try setting the peep for 50 by moving my housing to the 50 yards mark. It worked very well and got me an extra 7 yards of fletching clearance. Now the fletches clear to 85 yards

MT257

WKR
Well after some guidance from Swift, I moved the sight in and turned the bow up just a few lbs to try getting closer to 100yd max. It'll now go out to 94yd based on the tape.
View attachment 153509

Thanks for all the input

I know it could be a pain to resight but looking at the photo, you could move that bottom pin down toward the bubble and still get 100 or darn close. Make sure your 40 yard pin is your floater. After resighting that bottom pin you will have to resight 20 and 30 but the tape will be the same.

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
I know it could be a pain to resight but looking at the photo, you could move that bottom pin down toward the bubble and still get 100 or darn close. Make sure your 40 yard pin is your floater. After resighting that bottom pin you will have to resight 20 and 30 but the tape will be the same.
With the dual indicator, both the 20 and 40 are floaters. The limiting factor hasn't been vane clearance (I still have room to give there) but maxing out the travel on the slider. 40yds is all the way to the top, and 94yds is all the way to the bottom.

MT257

WKR
Got ya so arrow speed is the factor that got you from going further than 94.

brushape

WKR
Why is your pin housing all the way to the bottom on the numbered rail that attaches to the slider? I’m no expert to sliding sights but you have it maxed out in opposite directions it makes no sense to me.

brushape

WKR
This seems like the logical way I would do it, center the pins with your middle pin flat, max slider all the way up and sight in your middle pin using the dovetail adjustment instead of the slider and I’d imagine you would end up looking somewhat like this
0ebec920254ee7e0a28c7c0583a319a2.jpg
seems awfully cluttered to have your pins stuffed into the bottom and your sight picture would not be too clear on that bottom pin

You should be able to get a whole lot more distance out of the sight....the controlling factor is the arrow fletch hitting the sight ring, not the dial bottoming out if you set it up correctly, as the previous poster has shown.

One last trick I use is utilize a left handed sight level, with the bubble at the top of the sight ring. I prefer this as it clears up the bottom of the sight picture and lets me install a pin lower in the housing too.

Good luck!

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
Why is your pin housing all the way to the bottom on the numbered rail that attaches to the slider? I’m no expert to sliding sights but you have it maxed out in opposite directions it makes no sense to me.

I set the 20yd pin dead center in the housing and then moved the housing up and down to sight that in and set the other pins from there. This allows a very clean and logical sight picture at my most likely hunting distance and the ability to walk down the pins for further distances out to 40yds. It also maximizes vane clearance on the housing and should allow a clean +10yds if I hold on the top of the level.

Seems like there are different theories as to how to best set up a 3-pin slider and explanations of this setup made most sense to me. So far, I like it.

One last trick I use is utilize a left handed sight level, with the bubble at the top of the sight ring. I prefer this as it clears up the bottom of the sight picture and lets me install a pin lower in the housing too.

Good luck!

Shy of some travel stop that I'm unaware of, I believe I would need to sight my bottom pin out further than 40yds to gain more distance without either substantially lightening up my arrow, increasing my draw weight, or both. Presently the bow is somewhere in the low 60lb range, slinging a 510gr arrow. Not a speed demon.

Again, vane clearance is not of issue with the present setup.

My peep is already 6" up from my nocking point and the housing aligns very well in the 50-60yd range.

Thanks for all the input; good learning process here.