Can I Get Your Opinion

Califhuntn

Lil-Rokslider
If I have a packer get me into a partical canyon but I want to hunt another canyon or two. Since he is an outfitter and told me that he has someone else in the canyon I really want to hunt and could not drop me the canyon of choice.

My question is this. Is it unethical if manage to hike/hunt into the other canyon I really wanted to access. I know the other guy or guys paid this outfitter just like I have to put them in that canyon but it is public land. I'm in my rights hunt where I want.

Thanks

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think it is your right to hunt where you want on public land , but I would ask your outfitter. He may not agree and then may not take you the next year possibly.

It also depends on the size of the canyon . If you know others are hunting it, it may be to much and blow your game out.

A huge canyon may support several hunters who know what they are doing, but some careless or reckless hunters will blow them out. That could benefit you as they may come right into the area you are initially hunting.

ST52v

WKR
I will give you my 2 cents as a fellow hunter. I am not an expert and have had many thoughts run through my brain after reading this. First, you are correct and it is public ground. Secondly, I think you all ready have your mind made up that the other drainage is better. The grass is greener over there so to speak. Fait may be taking you to the buck of your dreams. I think you owe any other hunter on public ground their space and not to infringe on it. It 's the unwritten rules that sportsmen follow. Have the outfitter pass on your contact info so you can chat beforehand. Maybe they will invite you over or you could gain some info that may help you . I would probably watch from a distance and try to cover the escape routes. They may push all the deer into your drainage on day one of the hunt.

Lets say its day 4 of the hunt and you just located the giant in your drainage and are moving in for the kill. He bolts because the boys next door ventured into your drainage and blew it for you. Ya thats public hunting and the chance you take. That should not happen if both parties know where each other is hunting and respect it. Ideally I would want to be able to use a radio or spot connect to talk with them daily. If you or they tag out on day one then you would be free to hunt the next drainage ect.. I am also assuming you don't want to piss the outfitter off as well. If they got word to him you might not get your ride back out. That could ruin your hunt and possibly future pack ins as well. For what it is worth those are my thoughts. I hope it sheds some light on things for you. Take the high road it always pays off in the end!!! Keep us posted on how things go.

tttoadman

WKR
He is dropping you on public land. He doesn't own it, so he is purely providing a service. Since when when does an outfitter have the right to an opinion on who hunts where? Keep in mind that it is public land, and you could both be blown out by a party of newbies crashing up both canyons on day one anyway.

LJ Buck

WKR
I scout pretty hard and have been finding the deer i want to hunt now and in the coming weeks. I wont chy away from that spot if i see another hunter. Odds are they havent put in the same amount of time and dont really know whats in the area.. For your situation hunt where you want they are going to.

Pueblo

FNG
My experience in the Rubies is that if you aren't the one going into the other hunter's canyon, others will be. It's not a nasty situation but people are out looking for deer and they will wander. When you give out 1000 tags more will wander.

OP
C

Califhuntn

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you guys for your thoughts and opinions. The funny thing is that most of your opinions have already crossed my mind. I plan on staying put as long I am seeing game. I don't want to piss off my ride off the mountain. He said if I tag out early that I will likely have to pack him out myself if I want to get off the mountain before my pickup date. I can only hope to have that problem. Pueblo, that is where I will be starting next weekend. It will be my first time there. Should be fun. Just a little apprehensive about running into a bunch of other hunters but I guess that's public land hunting. Good luck to guys this year on your 2014 hunts.