Can someone just tell me what broadheads to buy?

geriggs

WKR
Brother you are going to get a 1000 different answers. What most people are suggesting will work just fine. I dont know what ound bow you are shooting (didnt read every post just the OP), dont know what weight arrow. If you are just looking for suggestions. I have had good luck with WASPs (Drones and Bullets). I should a 60lb bow so i need every advantage i can get so I have been shooting two blade COCs and two blades with bleeders. I am going to shoot Iron Wills this year and i have the utmost confidence that if i do my job they will do theirs. I have killed most of my elk with Silver Flames.....but 2 years ago i killed one with an ATAC. I think the Ramcats are a good bet as well as the Exodus... but i have not shot them myself. A lot of people like them. I stay away from Mechs for elk....thats just me. Some guys love them. For deer and antelope i will shoot the Hypos. Good luck. Get your bow tuned and go shoot some.

bsnedeker

WKR
People tend to focus on the broadhead when in reality, putting it in the right place is 90% of the battle. Do that, and as long as you're reasonably tuned and shooting a reasonable amount of energy, then the animal will die.

I think the choices you've made are good ones (I shoot neither btw), now focus on the other 90% of the equation.

Side note, as something to consider, if you've shot to 60 yards max, and are fairly competent at that range, your effective hunting range might be around 30-40 yards. Practice twice as far as you plan on shooting, is sort of a general rule, but we each have to make those decisions for ourselves.

Good luck in your first season.

I agree with this 100%...I practice out to 85 (max yardage on my sight for now unfortunatly), which means I'm effective to 50 yards max. I can hit the vitals at 50 yards 10 out of 10 times which is what I'm looking for in accuracy. At 60 yards it's 8-9 times out of 10 for me which isn't good enough. It's a personal choice of course, but I like Steve Rinella's take: "If you take a shot and you are surprised you hit the animal then you are shooting too far!"...meaning it should be a slam dunk if you are shooting at a living animal.