Can you add dwr to untreated down bag?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Saturday night it dropped below freezing and frosted the tent. My wife's bag got wet in the foot box causing cold feet.

If I applied a silicone spray would it help or just penetrate and ruin the down? Any other suggestions besides buying a new bag?

Edit: repositioning where we sleep in the tent just isn't an option because of shape and size.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Silicon is going to choke the fabric and it might have drying issues when body moisture gets into the down.

Revivex spray is one of the better recommended DWR sprays. Not sure if it'll solve your problem though, DWR causes water to bead and roll off but if wetness is pressed against it then it will soak in. I wonder about a little foot box bag that is waterproof over her bag while sleeping (and bumping the tent) and take that off during the day so the bag can vent?

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great points! Maybe a simple trash bag over the foot box.

LBFowler

WKR
Great points! Maybe a simple trash bag over the foot box.

highly recommend against that, the trapped moisture will likely collapse the down and lead to cold feet.
a breathable rain coat draped over the foot box would likely work.

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
highly recommend against that, the trapped moisture will likely collapse the down and lead to cold feet.
a breathable rain coat draped over the foot box would likely work.
Perfect, she needs a good rain coat anyway