Car buying advice...

OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
I'm in the same "boat" as you, only I'm shopping for a 2023 4Runner. Started the process and got "educated" over the last couple of months, same as you, learned about the allocations to dealership and the "in transit" scenario. All the dealers around here will take a deposit, $500-1k or so, to be able to select one of their allocation. It then goes towards your purchase price. I am holding off, wanting to buy after 1st of the year, but am shopping regularly to stay current. I, too, am willing to go to another state to buy if I can find the model with options I want. It's a bit of a gamble to wait and look but I'm going to give it a shot, not ready yet to compromise and buy something not equipped the way I want.

Are you aware that Toyota has a national vehicle search website? It's here:

THANKS! That works well, since I'm learning our local inventory. The dealer that is closest to us has a 1K ceramic coating treatment added to the price of all hybrids and it even shows up on that search tool, so it looks like a very useful tool to pick through the options for the local dealers.

On these RAV4s the options and packages are pretty limited in the trim lines we are looking at, last time we looked at Tundras the packages and options seemed totally random mixes, with some great combinations of sensible options not available in our local market.

OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
Use auto trader advance search. Find the exact car you want in stock.
Make the deal online. Fly out and drive it back.

Thanks, I hadn't ever considered that. I will take a look if we can't get something local. This isn't a car that either the wife or I feel very picky about specific options on, I just hate paying for stuff (especially stupid shit) that I don't need/want that doesn't add actual value to me in the every day use of the car.

Thanks, I hadn't ever considered that. I will take a look if we can't get something local. This isn't a car that either the wife or I feel very picky about specific options on, I just hate paying for stuff (especially stupid shit) that I don't need/want that doesn't add actual value to me in the every day use of the car.
I have purchased multiple vehicles using the advanced searched.

Haggled multiple dealers back and forth get the best deal.

I've never had to fly. But when I bought my commuter new in 2012 a 13 hr round trip saved me $2500

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
F&^$ car dealers. I am taking delivery of a new truck today from over 6hrs away. They have all of these little protection packages and lost key fob/road hazard/chipped windshield warranty stuff they refuse to take off. I live 6hrs away and will never darken their doors again. My insurance or my wallet will take care of anything they are offering. Don't get me started on them pushing the aftermarket warranties. If I buy a warranty, it'll be one from the manufacturer.

OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
F&^$ car dealers. I am taking delivery of a new truck today from over 6hrs away. They have all of these little protection packages and lost key fob/road hazard/chipped windshield warranty stuff they refuse to take off. I live 6hrs away and will never darken their doors again. My insurance or my wallet will take care of anything they are offering. Don't get me started on them pushing the aftermarket warranties. If I buy a warranty, it'll be one from the manufacturer.

I hear you brother! I just gave that speech to the local dealer re: an 987 dollar ceramic protective treatment.

kpk

WKR
We tried to buy a sienna, put a deposit in a year prior and finally just gave up after a year and bought a odessey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me neighbor was just telling me the other night that they ordered a Sienna. 2 year wait.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Definitely don’t buy the windshield insurance or any glass protection application. They are a warranty and unlike insurance you don’t have a choice in who does the replacement. The products are also bs, you can’t “chemically strengthen” glass once it’s made, that would have to be done early in the manufacturing process. The clear bra type film over your windshield deteriorates very easily and becomes extremely difficult to see out of from distortion and discoloration.

Your 2023 rav4 windshield is approximately an $1100 out of pocket expense so having coverage from your auto insurance is recommended.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Your 2023 rav4 windshield is approximately an $1100 out of pocket expense so having coverage from your auto insurance is recommended.
Why so much? That's insane. We have $1000 deductible so not even worth claiming windshields IMO. We just replace them if they need it. But we've never had a vehicle with a $1100 windshield before.

I did the same thing this spring got my hopes up for ford and GM pickups. 2022 models still in transit. They all were sold, dealers in my area never had one on the lot besides high country, platinum, and king ranch.

Check with the dealer maybe they aren’t all sold and you can put your name on it.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I hear you brother! I just gave that speech to the local dealer re: an 987 dollar ceramic protective treatment.
Most dealer groups and some manufacturers won’t let dealers add a dealer markup over msrp so the work around is to add a bunch of stuff at 100-500% markup. When you have 1 sienna and 20 customers, someone will pay for all the adds.

Why so much? That's insane. We have $1000 deductible so not even worth claiming windshields IMO. We just replace them if they need it. But we've never had a vehicle with a $1100 windshield before.

Lots of newer vehicles have sensors that work through the windshield in some way, like rain sensing for wipers, or if there safety sensors like collision warning they have some type of interaction with the windshield.

I think a replacement for my 2021 CR-V is $1000-$1200

OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
Most dealer groups and some manufacturers won’t let dealers add a dealer markup over msrp so the work around is to add a bunch of stuff at 100-500% markup. When you have 1 sienna and 20 customers, someone will pay for all the adds.

THANKS everyone, appreciate the help.

Just to give you an update, I was able to use the Toyota search tool that @Crusader posted and found a bunch of vehicles in transit and slated for manufacture and was able to find a couple that were pretty much perfect. I have a price agreed on with the local dealer with delivery expected in October and I'll have signed papers and have money down within the hour.

A neat fact is that the vehicle is supposed to be manufactured today in Woodstock Ontario.

For more details, I got a few quotes and it looks like MSRP plus or minus a tiny bit is about where our market is for these (at least until the glut of RAV4 XLEs hits the market). I was able to get the local dealer to cut the price of the ceramic treatment a few hundred dollars. The price cut put the local dealer ahead for price (especially considering that the options on the vehicle line up well with our wants).

@Ucsdryder I could not get the auto trader advanced search to work simply because the didn't have the vehicle in the menu. I tried a similar vehicle and it worked well. Thanks!

Last edited:

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Part, labor, materials and calibration of the camera plus tax.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think I would just opt for the normal glass option, kind of like replacing the TPMS tire valve stems with regular valve stems.
It’s part of the computer system and software of the vehicle along with the liability of disabling a safety feature. All kinds of potential problems can arise from unplugging the camera.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Note to self.......only buy vehicles without cameras. Check.
Not all are that expensive but still looking at a minimum of $600. You might want to buy a few spares while you still can 😀

Yoder

WKR
Stop buying new cars. If you don't, you'll be paying $100k for a Rav4 next year. Instead of waiting for Toyota to grace you with the opportunity of paying way too much for one of their vehicles, buy something used.

tony

WKR
Join some brand specific owner forums. It’ll give you an idea of what people are paying for the brand you are looking at.
Sometimes dealership sales people on their offering “forum only” deals.

And I agree, shop around hard. Deals are out there you just have to find and maybe go get them. To many pay way to much for that new car smell.