Carbon vs Aluminum Tripod

8 ounces for $100, at less than $13 an ounce which is not bad. If you get the Al, then decide you want the weight savings of CF later it will cost you more per ounce saved.

I spent $264 to save 5 ounces by getting a shelter in DCF instead of silnylon, so about $53 per ounce saved. So, that is my perspective.
I Like like your method of monetizing ounces.

8 ounces for $100, at less than $13 an ounce which is not bad. If you get the Al, then decide you want the weight savings of CF later it will cost you more per ounce saved.

I spent $264 to save 5 ounces by getting a shelter in DCF instead of silnylon, so about $53 per ounce saved. So, that is my perspective.
Exactly right. Saving ounces gets really expensive and has a diminishing return so $100 for half a pound is a bargain and those savings add up.

My gear is dialed in right now to the point where I’d have to probably spend thousands to save a pound.

BBob

WKR
Carbon is nice where it inherently dampens vibrations.
Maybe true but when it comes to some of the lightweight carbons they leave a bit to be desired when compared to an equal sized aluminum (granted the aluminum will be heavier). I’d also probably lean to say that dampening over stiffness isn’t better when it comes to a tripod in the wind.

chiroz

FNG
I have 6 aluminum tripods, most manfrotto, a couple have dents and one has a slight bend that affects leg deployment. That is never a problem with carbon Fiber.