Carport

Voyageur

WKR
I'm going to erect a carport as a means of affordable shade and hail protection for a vehicle.
Versatube seems to offer the most selection. Any other brands I should be aware of?
My biggest decision is deciding between earth anchors vs pouring concrete footings. Either way it will have a dirt/gravel floor.
Those of you with carports or just general construction experience, what are your thoughts and suggestions regarding the foundation and anchoring of the carport?
Thanks.

Last edited:
My dad has 3. His trucks, her SUVs, and the camper.

All three on gravel pads with earth anchors. Zero issues. Oldest one is 15ish years old.

In NE Oklahoma. Lots of wind, seen 8-10" of snow. Been covered in ice.

OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

WKR
My dad has 3. His trucks, her SUVs, and the camper.

All three on gravel pads with earth anchors. Zero issues. Oldest one is 15ish years old.

In NE Oklahoma. Lots of wind, seen 8-10" of snow. Been covered in ice.
Thanks for the response. Any idea what brand his carports are? Did he do any special mods to avoid wind damage?
Again, thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. Any idea what brand his carports are? Did he do any special mods to avoid wind damagae?
Again, thanks.
No clue on brand.

He had a company that dies them full time do the install. They're exactly how they did it.

Sorry I'm not more helpful. Lol

Weldor

WKR
I like concrete footings, Just my humble opinion. I build mine with steel tube posts and fish plates. Use redheadheads to anchor to the concrete.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I built my own.

Graded the dirt with a laser and then compacted it, placed 8" of road base over the dirt also leveled with a laser, then compacted the road base until it was harder than a whores heart.

Built a form using 2x6's, rebar, and dobies. Poured the slab and finished it.

Got some old oil field pipe from my cousin who does pipe fencing and then ordered up the tin for the roof and 3 side walls from a local supplier. Get the thicker gauge steel, it's worth it.

All said and done I spent $7,600 and 18 work days (took 2 months total days) for a 20x40 parking area with 20x20 of it covered on 3 sides for two vehicles. Can park another two vehicles in the non-covered portion, but mainly I use half of it to work on vehicles and equipment.

This allowed me to turn half of my 4 car detached garage into a home office, hunting equipment/gun room, and separate gym.

I'd recommend building your own then you get something that will last a lifetime and it's exactly what you want.

Kilboars

WKR
cc032ba86ec8ff1c247f2f52ebfdb6d4.jpg

I put this up for my hunting trailer.
The flooring is just that landscape fabric. Works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk