Elk arrow selection

I’m trying to decide if I should switch arrows for my elk hunt next fall. I am going OTC so I doubt I will see anything but I am still hopeful lol.

My bow is tuned up really well shooting Easton Sonic’s with an overall weight of 430 grains.

Shooting Mathews V3X 33 at 65lbs with a 30.5 draw.

Arrow setup has performed awsome on several big body whitetails I’ve shot.

I was planning on just using this setup for everything; TAC, whitetail and elk.

Any reason I should add some weight to my arrow for elk. I have it tuned up and shooting really well so I was hoping to just go with with what I’ve got

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
agree with DB29, you are good. For comparison, I shoot 27.5" draw, 56 pounds and my arrow is around 390gr. Shot a number of elk with this setup (including the bull in my avatar) and passthroughs are not a problem.

OP
S
agree with DB29, you are good. For comparison, I shoot 27.5" draw, 56 pounds and my arrow is around 390gr. Shot a number of elk with this setup (including the bull in my avatar) and passthroughs are not a problem.
Ok cool. Next question….can I go elk hunting you 😂

Awsome Bull man!

Jaquomo

WKR
Yep, you're fine. That's the arrow weight range my partner and I have used to kill 68 elk with a bow, mostly from longbows and recurves in the low-mid 50# draw weight range. (Which I've been told by some internet "experts" is not an adequate setup for killing elk.. )

You’re fine with that set up. My arrows are heavier but that’s just because I like shooting Easton FMJ’s. I also have lighter arrows that I’ve killed elk with that blew through them no problem at all. I just really like the fmj’s.

I’m trying to decide if I should switch arrows for my elk hunt next fall. I am going OTC so I doubt I will see anything but I am still hopeful lol.

My bow is tuned up really well shooting Easton Sonic’s with an overall weight of 430 grains.

Shooting Mathews V3X 33 at 65lbs with a 30.5 draw.

Arrow setup has performed awsome on several big body whitetails I’ve shot.

I was planning on just using this setup for everything; TAC, whitetail and elk.

Any reason I should add some weight to my arrow for elk. I have it tuned up and shooting really well so I was hoping to just go with with what I’ve got
You won't have any issues with your set up.

I wouldn’t think twice about that arrow put it where it counts and have fun packing it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elkhntr08

WKR
Nope, you need 600+ grains and 20%+ FOC. Don’t you watch YouTube experts?
I’m pulling 65#, 490 arrow and 29” draw. Been hunting this setup for 8 years now and have not failed to get a pass through on anything I’ve shot at.
Remember, a well tuned arrow penetrates best.