Carry On

BigD

FNG
I will be traveling to Alaska in August to shoot a giant caribou :) Do you think I can get away taking a Kuiu 4000 pack as a carry on?

Thanks

The_Yetti

Lil-Rokslider
What is the TSA approved carry-on size?

Carry-on bags shouldn't be larger than 22 inches long, 14 inches wide and 9 inches high including handles and wheels. Dimensions of personal items should not exceed 18 inches long, 14 inches wide and 8 inches high. There are no weight restrictions for carry-on luggage.

Can you get it down to this size? If yes I'd say you wont have a problem

OP
B

BigD

FNG
Thanks for the reply. I saw the size restrictions and the pack is 28" long. It just seems like all the videos I am watching guys are taking their packs that look to be about the size of the Kuiu on the plane

MattB

WKR
I’ve taken an ~8,000 ci pack (no where near full) on a 24” frame as a carrying a bunch of times. I always have my optics in the lid in case I have to separate/gate check the main pack but never have on a full-sized plane.

FLATHEAD

WKR
I swear people bring carry ons the size of a subaru and then try to put them in the overhead.
Shouldnt have a problem with a pack.

The_Yetti

Lil-Rokslider
I posted the TSA guidelines, but the last time I flew it seemed like people were bringing all their luggage as carry on with how big they were. I don't think you would have an issue, but if you get that one stickler as a TSA agent, you just may.

robtattoo

WKR
Oh..... this makes me mad. I've been told I have to check bags that are easily within TSA specs for carry on, only to board the plane to find some old biddy trying to cram what appears to be a 90lb freaking full size suitcase into the overhead.

Get you a $10 surplus sea bag & take it with you. Worst case they make you gate check it. If they do, put the pack inside the sea bag to keep it secure & protect from damage. Have a couple zip ties handy too

I've taken a 7,900 ci pack several times. I take the lid off and and try to not pack it much above the frame so it looks smaller. And I cinch everything down tight so the bag looks as small as possible. I've had a couple flight attendants make a comment on how big my bag is, but no one has ever stopped me (when this happened I was carrying my bag in front of me and not on my back so it looked larger with the waist belts sticking out). I had a buddy that had his pack including a lid FULL on a trip and TSA tried to make him check it. It's not up to TSA how big of a bag you can carry on, it's up to the airline. It's TSA's job to make sure there is nothing dangerous and that's about it. He got it through TSA after explaining it wasn't up to them and then gate checked it without issue.

Worst case they make you gate check it. So like someone mentioned above, I keep optics in the lid inside the pack so I can take them out if they were to ever make me gate check my bag.

FLATHEAD

WKR
What ticks me off is if I carry a very small personal item/bag they tell me
to put in under the seat in front of me (where my feet are supposed to go) But Karen, with her Samsonite she cant lift over her head gets barely crammed into the overhead.
So me, carrying a reasonable sized carry on has to be uncomfortable to make room
for the ridiculously sized luggage that should have been checked.
Makes sense.