Carter Wise Choice "click" noise while hunting

I just bought a Wise Choice to jump into the thumb release world. So far I like everything about it except for the "click" sound it makes when you snap it onto the d-loop. It's loud enough that I worry about spooking game once in bow range.

Any elk hunters using this release or something similar? I tried searching online, but most of the discussion was by treestand hunters who simply clipped the release on when they got in their stand and left it for the whole hunt. When hunting elk from the ground, do you clip the release on when you first start working a bull, before they are in range to hear the noise? And if so, do you worry about accidently popping the release off and losing it as you move through terrain? This wouldn't seem practical if using a lanyard or wrist strap.

I have the same release and like you said when I’m in a stand I have it on my d loop. I had thoughts about the clicking possibly spooking game but I really don’t think it would. It seems loud when you do it right next to you but I think any natural sounds would wash it out very quickly. I wouldn’t leave it on your loop while working simply because of the off chance it could fall off. I keep mine in my bino harness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have the same release and like it a lot. Whenever I have used it hunting I have been stand hunting and just hung it on my D-loop like you said. You could maybe do a test and have someone hold it and close the jaw at different distances from you and let you listen to how loud it is from where you're standing. I've never done this, but I think I might have the wife do this for me out of curiosity

It will spook game, it cost me a good buck one morning. Even of you have it already attached before the elk or deer get in range, think about a follow up shot if you miss and it stops in range for a second shot. I'm in the market for a new release as well and the loud clicking noise is my sticking point right now.

FWIW John Dudley only hunts with the Nock 2 It which is a modified Wise Choice and doesn’t ever appear to spook game

It could happen for sure, but there are also a thousand other noises that could occur in that situation that would spook an animal. I've hunted with carter thumbs (Too Simple, First Choice, Nock2It) for the last 5 years and not had the click spook an animal. To me the benefits of the release outweigh the risk, especially if you use a little foresight and recognize situations in which you want the release on the string sooner than later.

Agree with Gumbo.Just started using a Wise Choice a few weeks ago and initially was concerned but now can activate it slowly if necessary and almost totally muffle the sound.The only situation I can imagine,FOR ME,that could be problematical is a dead calm,cold AM with a spooky buck on full alert AFTER I've pooched the first shot.Sadly I've done that a few times and usually a slightly moved foot or the noise/movement etc of the draw or just trying to attach your wrist rocket with shaking hands will screw it up worse anyway.

I haven’t had it spook any game. Shooting a Simple 1. Clipped it with elk under 20 yards more than once last fall. The bull I killed didn’t even flinch.

They are too loud for the areas I hunt if I want a shot at mature buck. They would be fine if left clipped on the string but I don’t feel comfortable doing that.

We are so concerned about noise from clothes, noise from setting up, noise from a stand creaking but not from a Release being clipped on?

My gear is set up to give me the best chance of making a successful shot - even with all my mistakes. I don’t want to have to worry about one more thing that could potentially ruin my hunt.

So a fresh cerakote won't quiet anything down, but it sure looks good
b9a8688025c62ad5f15ef89307b97c6f.jpg
490b9c107cbe91eaee541bc154f64443.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

If you are careful and close it slowly the noise is minimal. I would also be cautious about oiling them. Oil will attract dust, dirt and anything else that gets into the casing. It can gum up the inside and cause your release to misfire or not fire at all. These release don’t need any oiling to work as designed.

Need more info on this. Was it a DIY or did you send them off somewhere?

I had a friend that does cerakote work on rifles a lot. I asked if he could do them and he said no problem because it he had a job scheduled and that paint would have been wasted, and it was plenty to do both releases. If you have anyone in the area do cerakote maybe that would be the way to word asking them to do it for you. If not PM me and I'm sure my fella wouldn't mind the work.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I just bought a Wise Choice to jump into the thumb release world. So far I like everything about it except for the "click" sound it makes when you snap it onto the d-loop. It's loud enough that I worry about spooking game once in bow range.

Any elk hunters using this release or something similar? I tried searching online, but most of the discussion was by treestand hunters who simply clipped the release on when they got in their stand and left it for the whole hunt. When hunting elk from the ground, do you clip the release on when you first start working a bull, before they are in range to hear the noise? And if so, do you worry about accidently popping the release off and losing it as you move through terrain? This wouldn't seem practical if using a lanyard or wrist strap.
My Like Mike clicks also but so did all the other Carter’s I tried. You can definitely muffle it with your hand/fingers.

Back