Celebration meals

cgasner1

WKR
So let’s say you got flown into the deeps of Alaska and just filled your moose tag. That fresh loin is about to hit the camp fire what did you bring to eat with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We did fresh tenderloin seasoned with Montreal seasoning with instant mashed potatoes and we thought we were eating like kings. I think I’m going to bring a box of stovetop stuffing to go with it this year.... it should be magical!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USMC2602

WKR
Like Robinhood21, we had pan fried tenderloin with Oreida instant mashed potatoes. Followed with an appropriate amount of Crown Black and Partagas 1845’s. A more satisfying and enjoyable meal has never been consumed on this earth.

Taste of success sounds good enough for me!

That being said, We will have Montreal and Cavender’s along. Cavendars more so for the fish

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
It’s usually raining too hard and I’m far too smoked to be doing anything fancy. Last few years drinking a few liters of water and eating a peak refuel without trying to puke was about the extent of my celebration meal.

I’ve never been on a moose hunt that had a casual chill ending.

It’s usually raining too hard and I’m far too smoked to be doing anything fancy. Last few years drinking a few liters of water and eating a peak refuel without trying to puke was about the extent of my celebration meal.

I’ve never been on a moose hunt that had a casual chill ending.

Same here. I struggle to eat very much during a hunt.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Same here. I struggle to eat very much during a hunt.

Same, I just forget to eat or just can’t slow down enough to make a meal. I’ve seen pics of moose hunts here on rokslide where the sun is out and the bulls sort of walk into camp. I’ve never been that lucky. Plus floating in overloaded rafts in nasty weather trying not to get sideways a flip, avoiding sweepers and all that stuff makes it hard. By the time I’m camping I’m usually pretty fragged and just trying to get hydrated and a few calories in before passing out. No time or energy to cut some steaks off and grill them up.

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
Our favorite has always been liver/heart and onions with a side of fried potatoes. Usually not that evening but maybe the next day. A lot of times the next day is taking care of meat. The evening of is usually Bourbon, sometimes Scotch, neat..

AKDoc

WKR
I'm one of the guys who prefers to call moose close to camp...and my ass is still totally kicked as we get the last bag of meat hanging on the day of the kill, usually at last light on the meat pole we also make!!

The first thing I always do when the work is done is immediately enjoy a wee bit of Irish with my hunting buddy and appreciate that moment and the total experience...usually sitting in the tipi because the wind is blowing or raining or both...sitting outside if we can! I then take whatever energy I have left to boil water and grab the least nauseating Mountain House at that moment that I have left in my bag.

Last year I brought a couple Peak Refuel meals with me to try for the first time, and on bull #1 I grabbed the Sweet Pork meal that nite...it was truly awesome and turned into a celebration meal for me! I've already bought a half dozen of those for this year!

That said...I do like cooking a couple of fish meals on remote 10-day light-raft floats...despite the stress of countless sweepers, double-digit grizzly encounters, flips, reading the water in complex braided sections, etc.

SliverShooter

Lil-Rokslider
I bring olive oil, seasoning my wife puts together, and a dehydrated noodle dish, usually fry a piece of tenderloin. This year I head shot a grouse a couple of hours before killing my moose, had the grouse, noodles, and a Mountain House for dinner. Hunting solo, I like to stay clearheaded and save my celebrations until I’m out of the bush.

I got a pack of backpackers pantry freeze dry bacon cheddar mashed potatoes I always bring along. They’ve been on 5 moose hunts for celebratory after kill meal time. Eight bulls later and they still haven’t been opened. Pendleton Midnight with a side of water for me. I only bring along food I like so just end up eating what was already on the menu. I always just want to kick back after breaking down and packing a bull.

No way in hell I’m messing with potatoes and onions. Same thought when I hear about guys making eggs and bacon in the morning. Sounds like a major PITA.

AKDoc

WKR
I got a pack of backpackers pantry freeze dry bacon cheddar mashed potatoes I always bring along. They’ve been on 5 moose hunts for celebratory after kill meal time. Eight bulls later and they still haven’t been opened....
That funny! I've got the exact same backpacker pantry potatoes that have been with me for at least as many moose hunts...and it is also still unopened! The package is starting to look pretty beaten and ragged after being ignored in my food bag for so many extended moose hunts!