Celebration meals

The two times For me it’s been loin, fresh pike fillet, and ramen and then this last year was heart cooked in bear fat from the bear we got a week prior and instant potatoes. The heart in bear fat took the cake for me, best I’ve ever had.

I realize my answer isn't in the spirit of this thread. In all the moose hunting I've done, I've never made the effort to cook or eat any moose meat in camp. I know this is reprehensible to the point of being almost heretic behavior, but I'm just not willing to do it. I catch nice grayling and release them. I take care of my moose meat fanatically and worship it on the table. The day I kill a moose typically ends with me being exhausted and needing to rest. Celebration might mean a better freeze dried entree and potentially a FD dessert. Maybe a single finger of good Kentucky bourbon if I feel like it. But I'm just a low-key dude who doesn't get too pumped up or needing to celebrate ever. I'm satisfied to be quietly content and hit the sleeping bag at dusk....like any other night.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
THE best dry rub seasoning for any meat, fish or veggie...especially wild game...is this brand:

There is no way you'll be disappointed. We use it nearly every day.

OP
cgasner1

cgasner1

WKR
It’s kinda funny after reading the responses I understand exactly what you guys are saying with the being exhausted and just wanting to sack out. I’ll be doing a drop camp this year with my buddy and I more figured it would be a day after dinner if you will. Something a little fresher than a mountain house because I figured we would probably be laying around calling from camp not going to far the day after if we get that lucky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm recalling a day when I killed a bull too far from camp and was working like a dog to get it butchered. Knee-deep slough water...mud....blood....bugs. It was beautiful let me tell you. I was working against the clock and the bears. No food or snacks with me and way too far to go back to camp. I was removing the second tenderloin and wishing I had something to eat to help energize me. I slabbed off the tip of the t-loin and ate that sucker right there as I stood over the carcass. It was a unique feeling....like a predator....and I was glad I did it. You haven't really celebrated your hunting success until you've had warm ultra-rare moose tenderloin from your own bloody hands while guarding the kill. That's a primitive celebration.