Central/eastern KY hunting partner

Anybody from this area? I’m pretty much a weekend warrior. Archery hunt public for deer, turkey, bear, and hopefully elk if I’m lucky one day. Looking to do a western hunt very soon also. Hunt hard when I get the chance. Any like minded individuals out there give me a shout!

Huntndog

FNG
Anybody from this area? I’m pretty much a weekend warrior. Archery hunt public for deer, turkey, bear, and hopefully elk if I’m lucky one day. Looking to do a western hunt very soon also. Hunt hard when I get the chance. Any like minded individuals out there give me a shout!
Hey. What county are you in? I’m in Garrard.

wesfromky

WKR
Very pressured? I’m sure rifle season is.
The number of rifle hunters seems high for the number of deer and for the terrain. Also, have to look at zones - zone 4 is antlered only for rifle. Most of the deer I see tend to be on small plots of private, almost like suburban deer. And, recreational use it pretty high as well. I ended up mostly driving a couple hours to hunt on private last year, but might try to get out a bit more locally this year.

Less people for archery, but the terrain makes it tough.

You might check out the hidden valley wma - steep hike in/out, but better terrain and maybe less pressure. Archery only.

Last edited:
OP
travis.smith
The number of rifle hunters seems high for the number of deer and for the terrain. Also, have to look at zones - zone 4 is antlered only for rifle. Most of the deer I see tend to be on small plots of private, almost like suburban deer. And, recreational use it pretty high as well. I ended up mostly driving a couple hours to hunt on private last year, but might try to get out a bit more locally this year.

Less people for archery, but the terrain makes it tough.
Kind of what I figured. I mainly bow hunt. From Breathitt county originally so used to that kind of terrain. If you ever wanna get out holler at me. Thinking of heading to bell/Harlan county before long to scout a piece for archery bear.

wesfromky

WKR
Kind of what I figured. I mainly bow hunt. From Breathitt county originally so used to that kind of terrain. If you ever wanna get out holler at me. Thinking of heading to bell/Harlan county before long to scout a piece for archery bear.
Check out hidden valley wma for sure.

I have only been down to eastern ky a few times, but the rrg seems steeper and lacks any of the flat reclaimed mine areas.

Had a bear on the porch last week. Saw a couple last spring too. I would guess bear hunting will be viable around here in the near future. it is already included in the bear zones.

OP
travis.smith
Check out hidden valley wma for sure.

I have only been down to eastern ky a few times, but the rrg seems steeper and lacks any of the flat reclaimed mine areas.

Had a bear on the porch last week. Saw a couple last spring too. I would guess bear hunting will be viable around here in the near future. it is already included in the bear zones.
Definitely planned on checking out hidden valley. You spent any time out there? Any idea why turkey hunting isn’t allowed on it? Thought that was odd.