Changed my diet, now needing running help.

OP
cocky84

cocky84

WKR
pain feels like its between the back of shin and calf muscle. Mostly the right leg. When i step it feels like a pain on both sides of the leg(behind shin). I actually do drink 1 protein shake in the evening after im done running.

OP
cocky84

cocky84

WKR
I would love to go to a running store but im at least two hours away from any. Few small shoe stores around but no running stores.

Hoot

WKR
Roll out your calves a couple times a day.

Do squats and other leg strength exercises.

Slow down and focus on planting your foot properly.

Shoes are important but not as important as everyone makes it sound, new shoes alone will not fix your issue. Most shin pain is a fascia issue, and while changing shoes will help, it won't eliminate the problem. My shins were so bad I couldn't run 1/4 mile, I researched shoes, inserts, form, etc. I even went to a pt.

Once I started rolling out and doing squats/box jumps, I went from almost zero running to completing a 1/2 marathon in 6 weeks....

OP
cocky84

cocky84

WKR
Great advice. I will try rolling out. I got some new Brooks Ghost 8 shoes on the way. I have a friend who is a chiropractor and he highly recommended the Brooks to me. I also got some Wilderness Athlete products on the way.

I have a few goals I want to reach before I head to Alaska for my moose hunt this Sept.
1. Run 5k without walking at all.
2. Run 5k in under 24 minutes.
3. Complete a 10k without stopping(not concerned about a good time on this one)
4. Be at 175lbs or less

jwatts

WKR
Great advice. I will try rolling out. I got some new Brooks Ghost 8 shoes on the way. I have a friend who is a chiropractor and he highly recommended the Brooks to me. I also got some Wilderness Athlete products on the way.

I have a few goals I want to reach before I head to Alaska for my moose hunt this Sept.
1. Run 5k without walking at all.
2. Run 5k in under 24 minutes.
3. Complete a 10k without stopping(not concerned about a good time on this one)
4. Be at 175lbs or less

Those look like some good, obtainable goals. I am not at the 24 minute mark yet. I run a 5k at least 4 to 5 times a week around town. Where I run has a good bit of hills. Each time I run a sanctioned 5k that is on flatter ground, my time improves a little at a time. I am doing my first 8k trail run this weekend and my first 10k next month. If you stick to the Couch to 5k program you will get to your first goal easily. It's all downhill from there. I hope the shoes work out for you. Good luck with you progress from here forward.

idcuda

WKR
I agree with Hoot, the shoes probably aren't the most important factor. I think most folks consider "more is better", which is definitely not the case when breaking into running. Keep your pace slow and mileage low, and enjoy the slow gains. At some point, when the kinks are worked out, you can start to challenge yourself with variation and increased mileage. Congrats on starting the process - especially ditching the sugar! That's a tough task.

OP
cocky84

cocky84

WKR
Went and ran tonight. In extreme pain now. Very weird. All day felt great. Was actually thinking this is the best i have felt in a long time. Was planning on really hitting it good. Drank lots of water all day. Ate right. Took extra time to stretch. Did the 5 min warmup and about 30 seconds into running i could tell it was gonna be a long painful workout. I probably should of just stopped then but thats not me. Pushed through in extreme pain. Took all i had not to stop. Very frustrating. Paid close attention to my foot strike while running. I dont think my form is too bad. Probably a little heel first but not terrible.

My plan is to not run again until Sunday evening. I should have my Brooks shoes by then. That will be 4 days rest with top notch shoes. I will also go to the track for little softer surface. If i still have pain then there is problems for sure. Any other suggestions?

Last edited:

Hoot

WKR
You shouldn't ever push through the pain, and if I were you I'd stop running for 2 weeks minimum. Squat squat squat! I'm telling you it will help!

im not an expert, but I was in your shoes...I got to the point it was too painful to push through it, (I didn't run for a month once I figured out I was prolonging my injury, shin splints are called an overuse injury for a reason) and really pushing through it causes further damage and prolongs your issue, here is exactly what I would do if I were you...

1. 2x daily roll out, until you feel you're 100%. Read up on the benefits of SMR and what it does for fascia and muscle recovery...
2. Complete the following for work outs...
4/21-4/24 - rest
4/25 complete 3 rounds for time of 15 box jumps and 15 air squats, record your time.
4/26 rest
4/27 air squats 5-10-15-20-25-20-15-10-5 focus on good form and squat to full depth.
4/28 rest
4/29 same as Monday, beat your time
Week 2 do something similar, maybe add weight to your squats, add in some walking lunges.

I did variations of this for 4 weeks, then I did crossfit m-f and ran 2 miles on sat one week, then 4, then 6, 8, 10, rested a week and ran a 1/2 marathon at 9k feet elevation in 2:30ish

I then ran another 1/2 marathon a couple weeks after elk season and I literally hadn't ran since the other 1/2, but I had been elk hunting all sept and still doing squats when not on the mountain, good stable leg strength will carry you far

I agree with Hoot. Stop running and find another way to get your cardio. Ice your shins daily after rolling and stretching and take some Ibuprofen.

I'm wondering if these are really shin splints. Usually they hurt to walk too. Is the pain only when you run?

Does the pain dissappear as soon as you stop moving or linger?
You've received good advice about not pushing through significant pain.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is there a high school or college in your area with a good cross country program? If there is its worth reaching out to the coach for some tips on form.

I do a similar diet and mix up my lunches a bit. On the days you work out drink something like a MTN Ops AMMO shake, and some fruit, veggies or a salad if you are still hungry. I found MTN Ops Phenix was a great recovery supplement when first starting a new routine.

But, as bad of pain as you describe sounds like a must do trip to the doc. Would hate to get an injury that screws you up and all that hard work is wasted....

OP
cocky84

cocky84

WKR
Yesterday before i ran there was virtually no pain. Extreme pain when i started running. Within 45 after running there was little pain. During the night , little soreness but not bad. This morning little soreness. Slight pain when i take steps. Wearing cowboy boots i get a very slight pain when heels hit. Not enough to make a limp. And fortunately its in both legs. Little more in the right. Ive read that if the pain is only in one leg it is more likely to be a stress fracture.

Think ill stop by gym tonight and get a membership. Start doing squats and get my cardio on eliptical machine.

Does your pain feel like there is a lot of pressure on you calf muscles from the inside, like they are going to explode?

rexahayes

Lil-Rokslider
Yesterday before i ran there was virtually no pain. Extreme pain when i started running. Within 45 after running there was little pain. During the night , little soreness but not bad. This morning little soreness. Slight pain when i take steps. Wearing cowboy boots i get a very slight pain when heels hit. Not enough to make a limp. And fortunately its in both legs. Little more in the right. Ive read that if the pain is only in one leg it is more likely to be a stress fracture.

Think ill stop by gym tonight and get a membership. Start doing squats and get my cardio on eliptical machine.
Sounds familiar kind of had the same problem during tennis season in high school. Sounds like you have plenty of advice to follow, but My coach suggested resting for about two weeks then had me run barefoot on a football field when they ran on the track. My form improved. Stride was shorter and it felt like I was tiptoeing around. Side note: If you're into reading "Born to Run" is an awesome book, even if you're not into running.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

WKR
Get to a doctor first. There are some serious things that should be ruled out before any rolling or massage or further training is pursued.

Shortdraw

FNG
Lots of good ideas here including see a doctor or at least a PT but make sure the doc or PT is an athlete. If all they want you do to is throw some pills at it, look elsewhere. Shin splints (I often get them at the beginning of a running season) are usually the result of tight calves and compensating for them. Because I often work at a desk and have accidentally slipped into my 50s, I constantly struggle with tight calves. If u just started running, tight calves are very likely. Massage, gentle stretches many times a day, and even using a foam roller are important. And don't forget to stretch your hamstrings and lower back...all part of the chain! This is particularly important if u start throwing squats into the mix as others have suggested. And I do think squats and deadlifts are great exercises - just really keep them in check if you are starting to run as well. That's a big change to the body! Here's a good website re calf tightness and shin splints: http://fitforreallife.com/2014/04/tight-calves-why-how-what-to-do-with-them/.

OP
cocky84

cocky84

WKR
Really appreciate all the advice. This really is a awesome forum. Im on several other forums and this is a good bunch if guys. Seen ppl on here give away gear they dont use( not junk either) and even when there is a dumb question ppl on here are still nice about it.

Anyways....

After a couple days rest and talking to a friend who is a chiropractor ive decided to rest 5-6 days. My new Brooks shoes have arrived, i also got some compression sleeves for calfs. Been rolling and messaging. Might hit eliptical this weekend. Gonna hit the track mid week. Start with walk move to slow jog. If any sign of sharp pain ill stop immediately and rest more

A little late to the party, but another great cardio builder is lunges. Do 400m of lunges and the sweat will be pouring. Plus you will be building your legs at the same time with little impact.