Charge a Garmin Rino in the field multiple times! pics.

dog812

WKR
I am going on a flyin hunt for a couple weeks and want to make sure all of us can stay in communication.. So after doing a lot of searching and research. Talking with garmin and external battery companies. I found out some good info.
So the Rino chargers put out 9.5v @1.4A, the battery is 7.4v 2400 mah.
So i looked for a external battery that put out 9volts.
You could use a 12v output battery, but your losing 30% while charging.. which is why the power monkey and other externals dont last very long, i saw one guy on here got 1 full charge out of a full 9000mah power monkey extreme.

I found a fairly cheap ($40) Chinese external battery, that had a 9v output, and also came with the proper adapter to plug right into my 530HCX. Its 10,000mah , and has a usb aswell for charging your camera or phone etc.. It is very small (219grams), not much bigger then a smart phone. Click Here for the EBay Auction It is coming from china, so it does take a few weeks.

Here are my not so technical findings so far.
With a full charge on the new external , My garmin at 35%, it charged to full in 3.5 hours, and brought the external down to 75%.
My second charge , with the battery still at 75%, My garmin was at 85% charge to full , and is still at 75%.
I will keep adding more data as i get it. But it looks like ill get a good amount of use out of this battery before it needs recharging.

You could probably use any external that put out 9v. Just this one was cheap and came with everything i needed.

As for the new rino's. they changed their plug to a 2 prong plug, weird!. But same mah and 8.4 voltage of battery. So you could spend $20, buy a second wall charger, cut the cord, and solder it to the dc cable for this unit. Have not tried it, but doable.

Last edited:
OP
D

dog812

WKR
update..
I have charged it 2 times recently..
3rd charge for 85% to full, external battery still at 3/4,

charge #4..
this time from 77% on the garmin.. and the external battery is still at 3/4...
I have a feeling after it gets to half its really going to drop off.. but we will see. plenty of time till hunting season to test it.