Cheaper Lithium trolling motor batteries?

That’s impressive. You guys are both using Ionics correct? Are you guys on your motors quite a bit like spot locking in windy conditions?

Not covering a lot of shoreline fast, slower speed and finesse.

If I was cranking like mentioned, drawdown would be much higher. With a conventional, draw down would be close to 1/2 (noticeable by the end of the day).

Tmac

WKR
Prouse seems to be legit. I went with Lithium, they last so much longer. You do need to or at least should, use a charger rated for Lithium. They take a higher voltage to fully charge iirc.

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be getting 3 li time 100ah trolling motor batteries for my rig. I did a lot of reading and video watching and have contacted li time and they all point to a good buy. Even if they never make it past 5 years, their warranty period. I'm buying a capacity tester to test them when they arrive, to be sure they're good, and to test them each year. I was considering Ionic but the price didn't seem worth it. I do like their Bluetooth battery monitor, but I can add a Viktron Smartshunt to each Li Time battery and still have enough leftover for a GenPro 10x4 and capacity tester and beat Ionic prices. I trust Will Prouse's expertise.
What model of the Viktron monitor are you using? I am looking at getting two of the 12v Li time batteries for my trolling motor and already have the NOCO charger that will work.

spur60

Lil-Rokslider
I've been playing with cheap lithiums for a few years now, mainly for smaller stuff - ice fishing electronics and snow goose e-callers. Have yet to have any fail, even when used in cold conditions. Picked up a pair of 30ah XZNY brand for dirt cheap a while back to use for a camping power box and my waterfowling kayak trolling motor. Zero issue with them as well. Been reading up on the mini footprint 100ah batteries lately since I'm going to switch over to lithium for my fishing boat this spring. The battery market on Amazon has literally been a race to the bottom for pricing. 2 years ago there were zero 100ah batteries for under $250. Now there's 100ah listings damn near down to $150.

I purchased this battery for my trolling motor last year in August. I’ve only used it twice but it worked a lot better than the old lead acid batteries I’ve used. It’s super lightweight also. Not sure on longevity etc but it’s a cheap option. I wish I could figure out how to monitor the charge level when fishing with it is my issue

Attachments

• IMG_3699.png
    IMG_3699.png
    600.2 KB · Views: 10
OP
ckleeves

ckleeves

WKR
I ended up going with the LiTime’s. My BIL was also needing new batteries and he bought some too. Thanks for all the help guys!

Not sure on longevity etc but it’s a cheap option. I wish I could figure out how to monitor the charge level when fishing with it is my issue
most guys recommend the Victron Smartshunt but if you're going the cheap route with batteries, I doubt you'll want this thing due to the price. I'm sure there are cheaper options, but I don't know.

OXN939

WKR
Prouse seems to be legit. I went with Lithium, they last so much longer. You do need to or at least should, use a charger rated for Lithium. They take a higher voltage to fully charge iirc.

Noco genius 5 is like $60 and has a lithium charging mode that is unbelievably easy to use. I've had one mounted on my boat for the past year and am putting one in the boat I'm building now as a replacement. They seem to be great little units.

Anyone got any experience with Li batteries rated for cold? I had a Redodo 12V 100 Ah lithium battery in my boat and it died during the cold snap we had recently where it got down to like 15*F. Wouldn't accept a charge from anything after that

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve heard you can’t charge lithium’s if they are cold below 32*f, which has held me back from getting them, but when I need new batteries I’ll look at upgrading

OXN939

WKR
I’ve heard you can’t charge lithium’s if they are cold below 32*f, which has held me back from getting them, but when I need new batteries I’ll look at upgrading

Spot on. Never charged mine when it was cold, though. Had it about 50% charged beforehand, per the manufacturer recommendation for Li batteries, and then it was completely dead a few days later after it got cold... even took it to a Batteries plus and they confirmed it was shot. Running a cheap(ish) SLA now as a replacement and it's doing fine.

hiker270

WKR
Several of the Lithium LifePO4 batteries for marine use have heaters built in them. The battery is heated when it is too cold to charge and then when warmed it charges. Of course the batteries with heaters are more expensive.

jtevanMT

Lil-Rokslider
I purchased Ionics about 2 years ago. 3 x 50 ah for 36V Ghost Motor and 1 X 125 ah for cranking battery and electronics (2 X 12” Lowrance). I also purchased the Ionics 4 bank charger.

I run them very hard on many days. 12 hr days running the bank in the spring or spot lock in the wind on a main lake points. They have been great so far. I have drained the 36v system to 30% on a long day in the wind. If you want to run them more than 1 day without charging I recommend 100 ah batteries for your electric motor.

I purchased from ….

I went with ionics for my new tugboat i built. Extremely happy with them but they might be more than you wanted to spend. My friend uses some cheaper ones for winches and stuff and they work fine so far. He's had one for over 2 years using it fairly often, barely ever has to charge it and they're much lighter than AGM's

Several of the Lithium LifePO4 batteries for marine use have heaters built in them. The battery is heated when it is too cold to charge and then when warmed it charges. Of course the batteries with heaters are more expensive.
Yep my ionics have the heaters i believe

KHNC

WKR
I have used a Dakota 36v single to run my MG pro tour 109 for the last two years. Works awesome, but pricey , and had a 5 month wait to get it. I am in the market for a single 12 to run electronics. I have 4 Lowrances hooked to my AGM cranking battery , and it drains the voltage fairly quickly.

OP
ckleeves

ckleeves

WKR
I bought direst from LiTime from the “like new section”. They were “like new”, I couldn’t tell them from a new battery even the way they were packaged the post bolts were still In a sealed bag. Batteries arrived pretty quick, I’m guessing 6 days? Went with the

LiTime 12V 100Ah TM LiFePO4 Battery, Low-Temp Protection, Best Battery For Trolling Motor.​

They seem to work great, been out a few times with them and the NOCO still shows them 3/4 full after a full day of being on the motor pretty good.
Which ones did you purchase?
Where did buy from?
How long did the shipping take?

OP
ckleeves

ckleeves

WKR
I have used a Dakota 36v single to run my MG pro tour 109 for the last two years. Works awesome, but pricey , and had a 5 month wait to get it. I am in the market for a single 12 to run electronics. I have 4 Lowrances hooked to my AGM cranking battery , and it drains the voltage fairly quickly.
Ya I want to do the same thing. My BIL bought one of the mini 50ah models for his electronics and it’s tiny. I run my ice setup off a 30ah and it will still be at about half after a full day on the ice powering a 106 Garmin and livescope. I can’t imagine that 50ah will struggle powering the same stuff plus another 93sv.