Cheaper Mud Tire Recommendations

jsb04

FNG
I’m looking for some cheaper mud tires for a 1989 Chevrolet K1500 with 16 inch wheels. Any recommendations? The vehicle won’t see a ton of miles, maybe 7,500 miles per year on the high end. Mostly used for fishing, hunting and some farm work. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

General grabbers are decent.. You might want to try to get a set of 16.5" or 18" rims.

16.5" rims were popular for so long that tires in that fit them were the lowest cost. 18" rims are fairly standard on trucks nowadays so you might be able to find a set of used tires to fit 18's

if you're looking for a straight mud tires. Try looking for Interco tires. Interco makes some aggressive offroad tires that should do you well

Wrench

WKR
Best advice I can give for anyone running cheap or expensive mud tires is to invest in centramatic wheel balancers. I've got them on 3 trucks with big tires and they will keep tires from getting goofy wear patterns and they work after you get mud in the wheel....unlike a static balance like the tire shop does.

Weldor

WKR
Don't know your location, but PEP BOYS brand are cheap and wear pretty good. I ran a few sets through my jk's and they held up well averaged 25-30000 miles of wear. I think they were Difinity or futura

I’ve ran a couple of couple sets of Federal Couragia mud radials, they were decent and although I haven’t checked prices in quite a while they used to be quite a bit cheaper than BFG, Goodyear, Toyo, exc…. in the 35x12.50x18 variety.

Deals can be had on craigslist and marketplace. Dont overlook walmart either

I'm on my second set of mastercraft mxt's and pretty happy with them

180ls1

WKR
16's are going away rather rapidly, you very well may find a better deal on some 17's particularly a used wheel/tire set.

Also, know their limitations. Some of them are incredibly slippery on snow/wet concrete or asphalt roads if you travel on the street.

I’ll echo the recommendation to buy some used on Facebook. Particularly mud tires tend to be pretty common and inexpensive, I assume guys buy them because they look cool but dump them once they have to deal with the noise and gas mileage.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
7500 miles per year is still a good many miles for a vehicle. I would go the route of Buckshot Maxxis Mudders for that vehicle. I would hate to be using a cheap/used tire off the paved road and have a flat and have to deal with it. I've ran Buckshot's on several vehicles and they are great.