Cheese?

PMcGee

WKR
For guys that pack in string cheese or any other cheese for that matter. How long does it last without being refrigerated? I googled it and there were a bunch of different answers.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I had that babel waxed stuff out for 5 days last year and it was fine. Pretty chilly evenings helped I'm sure. I would do waxed small cheeses over string cheese, the string stuff never seems to hold up as well to me.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
You don't say what kind of temps you will be in, but I have kept string cheese 7-10 days in AK in July without issue and blocks of cheese 2 weeks or more. If the temps are warm they can end up a little bit greasy, but I have never had them mold or taste off...

JFKinYK

Lil-Rokslider
Cut cheese into 3-4 day hunks. Cut a square of cheesecloth about 12 in x 12 in. Soak the cloth in vinegar and ring it out. Wrap the cheese block with the cloth, then vacuum seal. Use a sharpie to write on how many days the cheese is for.

The vinegar keeps bacteria from making your cheese soft, slimy and moldy on the outside and doesn't really impact taste.

Was just out for 3 weeks on a trip with cheese prepared like this and temps from 30C to 5C. We had cheese left when we got home, threw it in fridge and then ate it over the course of the next week or two.

JG358

WKR
Cheese can go a long time with out refrigeration. The harder the cheese, the longer it will last.

Interesting tip about the vinegar soaked cheese cloth, thanks!
I know folks have been wax dipping cheese for eons.

I also hear that dipping eggs in oil will also allow un-refrigerated storage for a few months.
Hunt'nFish

JG358

WKR
Interesting tip about the vinegar soaked cheese cloth, thanks!
I know folks have been wax dipping cheese for eons.

I also hear that dipping eggs in oil will also allow un-refrigerated storage for a few months.
Hunt'nFish

Fresh farms Eggs don't need oiled or refrigerated... Washed and bleached from the store are a different story.

desertcj

WKR
I've personally done 4 days but it does get soft and starts smelling "ripe", not bad....just pungent.

Just finished up a hunt in the Gila in which I finished off all my BabyBel cheese on the 10th day. Temps averaged 70s and 80s for highs, and probably 50s for lows. It seemed just fine after 10 days, and I'd have no problem pushing it longer.

Terrapin

WKR
Be careful with the baby bel wax. If you let the wax melt on cloth, it will eat through it. Not sure what the chemical reaction is, but it eats through cotton and synthetics.

I'm pretty sure I ate a string cheese from 2014 deer season on the opening day of 2015 elk season.

rodney482

WKR
Im thinking the air tight string cheese would last a long time.

Prolly a lot longer in the creek

OP
PMcGee

PMcGee

WKR
I took a couple different kinds of the individual wrapped cheese up with me and it all stayed fine for the 12 days we were up the mountain. Thanks for the replies.