Chinook or Attack pants- early November MT

TNArcher

Lil-Rokslider
I just sold my Kanab 2.0's thinking they were too light for a early November MT hunt. I'm thinking the Attack's or Chinooks, but also open to others suggestions. What are you guys out west running that time of year?

Weekender

WKR
I don't own chinooks but have seen/felt the material and seem like they'll be warmer then my attacks. I have a feeling they are between guide and attacks. Very nice material IMO

charvey9

WKR
By themselves the Chinooks are a warmer pant and a little too heavy for hiking in warmer weather. I tried them out on some scouting trips this summer and sweated my ass off. Particularly at the knee pads, even if the vents were all the way open, my knees kept sweating and after a few days of skin rubbing on the knee pads I actually started to get a hot spot. They'd probably be better in November and with a base layer to cut down on the rubbing. I also found the material to stretch out a lot more. Pants that fit good at the trail head were really baggy after a few days.

I think the Attack are way more versatile and hold their shape better. Can always add a base layer(s) to add some warmth. I use them all year long.

OP
TNArcher

TNArcher

Lil-Rokslider
I'm really wanting to go with the attacks, because they do seem more versatile. If there are others having good success running them in that temp range of early November I think that's what I'll pull the trigger on

Weekender

WKR
As long as it's not real wet out attacks can be pretty much be worn everywhere just change out base layers to match conditions

LJ Buck

WKR
I have had both the attacks and chinook. I sold them both once I got the first lite guide pants. Love the fit.

OP
TNArcher

TNArcher

Lil-Rokslider
LJ, do you feel the FL guide pants will work in lower temps? Based off of everything I've read I was concerned they may not fit the bill for an early November hunt. Thanks for the feedback!

OP
TNArcher

TNArcher

Lil-Rokslider
Update- I purchased the Chinnook. These are without a doubt the nicest pants I've owned. Can't wait to get them in the field

I would definitely say go with the chinooks especially without LJ's under. The attacks are what I call "touch cold" much like putting hard plastic against your skin vs wool. The fabric seems to radiate cold more. The chinook has the soft waffle fleece inside that breaths but feels warmer. I love them in all but the hottest temps. Dual cargo pockets are nice but smaller than attacks. Knee pads are great but like every manufacturer, mounted too high.

OP
TNArcher

TNArcher

Lil-Rokslider
Gurr,
I haven't tested the knee pads out while crawling around, but they seem to hit about right. I'll put them through a serious test during early turkey season. I really like the thought of having them, but I'll need some more time before I can give an honest review.

What are your thoughts on the knee pads?

I really want to try the chinooks, but am nervous about not being able to remove the knee pads like sitka's pants... altho, I am shorter, so if they ride high, i might be in the money! Hoping they don't rub too much...

OP
TNArcher

TNArcher

Lil-Rokslider
Gurr,

I did a Nebuchadnezzar test last night and crawled around on my knees to test the pads. The pants themselves are a little long, I probably should have went with the 32. Because of this I do think the knee pads hit me perfectly. There is not that much padding though, so we'll see how they do on harder surfaces. Either way I think these will be incredible pants for mood to late season hunts.

Either are fine as long as you aren't crawling over and under deadfall...then you want Sitka Timberlines.

Stwrt9

WKR
I own both Attacks and Chinooks. Love both but if i had to choose just one for versatility i would go with the Chinooks hands down. The knee pads are super thin and hardly even noticeable, it's just added waterproof fabric with thin padding in between.

bates

WKR
I am currently sitting on just about all the kuiu pants: alpine, attack, Chinook and Tiburon pants

I have noticed first off to me that the Chinook and alpine have a different cut or fit, these pants to me fit bigger per size than the attacks or Tiburon pants.

after owning all of these pants to me the 2 real winners in the line up for me are the Tiburon and Chinook.

I was skeptical and initially thought the Tiburon's would be too thin and not very durable, but these are a great early season pant,

Then like the above poster said, I now think the Chinooks might be the most versatile pant in the line up, I don't feel to much of a difference vs the attacks as far as which one I would want as the temp heats up. both are warmer pants, the Chinooks are fleece lined while the attacks are brushed.

you wont go wrong with any of them, but I think I can get by on most hunts running either the tiburons or Chinook and not need any of the others

if I wanted to do it with 1 pant then the attacks would be that 1 pant to do it all for me but I like the other two better

I am currently sitting on just about all the kuiu pants: alpine, attack, Chinook and Tiburon pants

I have noticed first off to me that the Chinook and alpine have a different cut or fit, these pants to me fit bigger per size than the attacks or Tiburon pants.

after owning all of these pants to me the 2 real winners in the line up for me are the Tiburon and Chinook.

I was skeptical and initially thought the Tiburon's would be too thin and not very durable, but these are a great early season pant,

Then like the above poster said, I now think the Chinooks might be the most versatile pant in the line up, I don't feel to much of a difference vs the attacks as far as which one I would want as the temp heats up. both are warmer pants, the Chinooks are fleece lined while the attacks are brushed.

you wont go wrong with any of them, but I think I can get by on most hunts running either the tiburons or Chinook and not need any of the others

if I wanted to do it with 1 pant then the attacks would be that 1 pant to do it all for me but I like the other two better

Great info, thanks! You mentioned the Chinooks have a bigger cut than the attacks? would you order a size down? or same as attacks?