Choosing a Backup Compass

dblust

FNG
Carrying a backup compass is important for anyone doing serious back country navigation work.

I have long recommended three compasses for the back country – the Silva/Brunton Expedition 54, the Cammenga Model 3H or M27 lensatic, or the Francis Barker M73 or M88 prismatic. It would be a simple matter to recommend purchasing a second, identical instrument to the one you’re already carrying and it’s a great idea, but it’s very easy to talk about spending someone else’s money, as my three favorites run from between $90 and $450.

My favorite less-costly backup compass is the Silva Expedition 4. Basically, it has all the features of the Expedition 54 except the prismatic sighting system and runs about $30 - $35. One excellent source for the Expedition 4 is OutdoorGB in the United Kingdom at http://www.outdoorgb.com/, which also carries the Expedition 54.

Another good backup is the luminous Silva Explorer 203, at $20 - $25. Others include the Silva Polaris 177 ($12 - $15), the Brunton OSS 30B (about $20), or the Brunton 7DNL ($12), but bear in mind that these last three, while good little compasses, are not luminous.

Once you’ve selected a backup compass, take the time to become familiar with it. Practice using it regularly, just as you should your front-line compass; that way using it will be second nature should you need it in the field.

Attachments

• Silva Expedition 4.jpg
    Silva Expedition 4.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Silva 203.jpg
    Silva 203.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Brunton OSS 30B.jpg
    Brunton OSS 30B.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Brunton 7DNL.jpg
    Brunton 7DNL.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Silva 177.jpg
    Silva 177.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 18

LaHunter

WKR
I really like the Silva Explorer. Also, the Silva compasses have a lifetime warranty. I had a couple that developed bubbles and I returned them for new ones. for now charge.

I have 2 silva 4's. A compass on my watch, a compass on my GPS and a older brass compass that works but is more a good luck charm. I've been lost, hated it, don't want it to happen again.

OP
D

dblust

FNG
Elkhunter__241:

The Cammenga 3H/M27 is, in my opinion, highly underappreciated and under utilized in many circles. It's a great compass; you just have to know how to use it.

tipsntails7

I've always been fond of the Silva Expedition 4. It has seen a lot of use by the British Army; another great compass.

dblust,

When I first got the Cammenga M27, I was really disappointed to find out that it was in 5 degree increments and had just relegated it to backup duty should something happen to my Brunton.

Now that I know the math formula to convert mils to degrees and back again for map use, I'm much more impressed.

I still think the Brunton 54 has the edge on accuracy and ease of use with a map, but the Cammenga is much tougher.