Choosing an 8x32 Rangefinding Bino

I'm looking to upgrade my bino/rangefinder setup. I'm a rifle hunter out east who primarily hunts moose. I've convinced myself that I want to simplify my setup and save weight by getting a pair of 8x32 rangefinding binos. Currently using 8x42 Vortex Vipers that have served me well. I don't see a need for going to 10x magnification, especially with the smaller objective lens. Likewise, Leica Rangemaster 1600-b has served me well. Simple distance reading would do it for me... no need for a ballistic solution.

The options that I see on the market are the following:
  • Swaro EL Range 8x32
  • Leica Geovid Pro 8x32
  • GPO Rangeguide 8x32
Am I missing any others? I'm both a "bang for your buck" and a "buy once, cry once" type of guy. I'd love to hear people's opinions who have used one or more of these binos with regards to glass quality and ease of use. Leaning toward the Swaro/Leica but if the GPO is almost as good, I'd seriously consider it.

Thanks!

bigbuckdj

WKR
I have no comment, but I hope someone chimes in. I want to test a pair of the GPOs pretty bad. They are light and in the right price range for what I’m looking for.

eshunt

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair of Swaro El Range 10x42 and love them. Last weekend I had the opportunity to look through some of the other EL range binos. The 8x32's were great! I will be getting my dad a pair here soon. You will not be disappointed with them.

OP
dangerdude
Appreciate the feedback @eshunt. From what I hear, the Swaro 10x42 are known to be excellent and it doesn’t surprise me that the rest of their product line follows the same trend.

I also remember reading through a long thread last year on the Geovid Pros when they came out and they seemed to perform great. With the top end, it seems to come down to personal preference.

The GPOs have made me really curious. Fraction of the cost of the high end stuff is really interesting if the glass is good quality (knowing it’ll never be top of the line).

The geovid pro 8x32s have been excellent and problem free over 2 seasons for me in pouring wet, hot dusty and very cold conditions. The RF is great to 1000 but a bit finicky to 2000 but is very accurate and the AB verified bullet library is a great addon. The temp adjustment is slow, so consider leaving your binos in the truck over night if youll be shooting any distance on morning hunts. But otherwise the ballistics have been $ out to 900yds. Clarity and resolution is excellent. I honestly dont think you could have a better package short of adding image stabilization (but the 8s off hand are very stable as is).

JGRaider

WKR
Since you have no need for ballistic features, I'd go straight to the GPO without hesitating. I used a buddy's 10x50 Rangeguide and it was excellent, the best combination of optics and RF performance that I've used, and I've owned several Geovids. I see absolutely no reason to spend the extra cash on Swaro or Leica in your case.

OP
dangerdude
Awesome feedback. Thanks to those who chimed in! I think I’ll give Doug a call to chat more about the GPOs and relative value vs the high end models.

As a quick aside: I’ve been a long time reader of these forums but have never posted until this week. Thanks for the honest feedback, cordial replies and for generally making me feel welcome here. Peace.

bigbuckdj

WKR
I looked through the 8x32 sig kilos and didn’t like the blue tint. The backwoods pursuit review of rangefinder binos has the gpo 10x32 having similar blue tint, just something to think about. I’d still like to get my hands on a pair and try them out, I have the same use case as you.

Crews

FNG
Don't forget the Sig option. However, my experience with their LRF Bino's has been excellent electronics and rangefinder performance, disappointing viewing experience. Leica is NEVER a bad choice for this type of equipment. You'll keep it and use it for a very long time.

Article 4

WKR
The geovid pro 8x32s have been excellent and problem free over 2 seasons for me in pouring wet, hot dusty and very cold conditions. The RF is great to 1000 but a bit finicky to 2000 but is very accurate and the AB verified bullet library is a great addon. The temp adjustment is slow, so consider leaving your binos in the truck over night if youll be shooting any distance on morning hunts. But otherwise the ballistics have been $ out to 900yds. Clarity and resolution is excellent. I honestly dont think you could have a better package short of adding image stabilization (but the 8s off hand are very stable as is).
Gonna throw in with Str8. Run both swaro and Leica. LOVE the AB in the Leica but IMO the ranging and glass is just slightly leaning toward swaro.

JGRaider

WKR
Gonna throw in with Str8. Run both swaro and Leica. LOVE the AB in the Leica but IMO the ranging and glass is just slightly leaning toward swaro.
If you read the OP, he doesn't want or need the ballistic capabilities, just the RF. Why would anyone pay $1000+ more for a feature they have no use for?

Article 4

WKR
If you read the OP, he doesn't want or need the ballistic capabilities, just the RF. Why would anyone pay $1000+ more for a feature they have no use for?
Cause IME - better to have it an not need it. Why so mad? I am offering why I have each bino, and then talk about glass and which I think is better and why.

Utpikahtr

FNG
Following in here. I’m also in the market for a pair of 8x binos. I’m primarily a bow hunter but as soon as the archery season ends I’m also a rifle hunter and need ballistics out to 700 yrds. For archery I’m leaning towards a smaller more manageable pair for sneaking in and out of my bino harness. Also my main concern is top quality glass and wide field of view as these are binos first. Leaning towards swaro in either 8x32 or 42, or the Leica. Just can seem to land on a pair.

Article 4

WKR
Following in here. I’m also in the market for a pair of 8x binos. I’m primarily a bow hunter but as soon as the archery season ends I’m also a rifle hunter and need ballistics out to 700 yrds. For archery I’m leaning towards a smaller more manageable pair for sneaking in and out of my bino harness. Also my main concern is top quality glass and wide field of view as these are binos first. Leaning towards swaro in either 8x32 or 42, or the Leica. Just can seem to land on a pair.
I have Leica 8x32s for archery and muzzle loader, and also African Hunts. FOV is huge and the light gathering attributes are off the charts. Highly recommend them for the reasons you relay!!

Utpikahtr

FNG
Yes. Side by side. The Leicas have better data with applied ballistics but the swaro ranges through rain and bad weather better. Both range way out past 2000 yards depending on target.
I’ve ordered the Leica pro 8x32. Planning to compare them with the swaro NL 12x42. Not really a good apple to apple comparison however I think that would be a great combination of glass for western hunters.