Choosing the right boots

ChaseH

FNG
I have a question for the people who are more experienced with quality boots. How do you know when you find the right ones? I’ve heard you need to put 50 plus miles on a pair before they’re broken in. It seems like if that’s the case they must feel really stiff and uncomfortable when you try them on which would lead you to believe they’re not the right ones.
Thanks!

I have a question for the people who are more experienced with quality boots. How do you know when you find the right ones? I’ve heard you need to put 50 plus miles on a pair before they’re broken in. It seems like if that’s the case they must feel really stiff and uncomfortable when you try them on which would lead you to believe they’re not the right ones.
Thanks!
I don’t give them long. I’ll wear them around my shop for a couple of days and if they aren’t working, they are down the road. I’ve been very fortunate in not having to fight footwear. I’ve worn Whites loggers for the better part of my life and have never had a blister.
I ordered a pair of Schnees Granites last fall and knew right away that they weren’t going to ever fit me right. Which was a bummer because they nice boots. I sent them back and decided to try a pair Meindls out. They are going to make the cut.

I've found that the boot should feel comfortable to stand in and lace up tight. Walking in them can be a bit stiff and awkward if you're not used to stiff boots but they should feel pretty decent standing and laced up.

What i look out for is any discomfort in length, width, footbed and any odd pinching when the toe bends.

7mm-08

WKR
You're smart to have the yellow caution light on with this decision. What I can say if you misfire is its expensive. I've only ever been able to sell used boots for half of what I've paid for them. That said, my feet really like Lowas. Good luck with your search.

I tried a couple Lowas, zamberlins and scarpas when I committed to backpack hunting in 2017. They were all in 200 to 300$ range. None of them called out to me. So I said what the heck, try the Hanwags at 350. They were Cadillacs compared to the rest! Instant comfort and no break in period for me. Still wearing them . I don't use them except for the hunt and scouting. Had a problem last year when I tried some more cushioned insoles : made my heel too tall and blistered badly on first mile of a ten mile 2 day trip. Just kept going as it was only time I had for scouting. Treated them and was ok on hunt 2 weeks later.

Hope you find the perfect boot for you!

OP
C

ChaseH

FNG
Thanks for the help. I appreciate all the responses. My foot is long and narrow. Being fitted for cowboy boots I was told my foot is an 11 B. Any suggestions from the narrow foot crowd for brands to start with? Thanks again.

mtbkr

FNG
I have the same foot "specs" as you, (aka size 11 and narrow.) I have a pair of Lowa's that are just awesome for my feet. After 7 seasons they're showing their age and mileage so like you, I'm starting to look at replacements.
When I first tried these on in the store they fit like a glove. Instantly comfortable, with really good heel retention. They've been great ever since.

My replacement pair might also be Lowas but I'm also eyeing lighter synthetic boots purely for weight savings. The other day I tried on a pair of synthetic Scarpas that fit like a glove. They were awesome, but not high enough. Next boot I try on will be a high-top Scarpa.

Couple things I do when trying out boots:

- I bring my orthotics with me. I pronate a lot and so the corrective footbeds make a big difference in any boot. If you have a specific insole you'll be hiking with, it only makes sense to try out boots in the store with your specific insoles.
- Lace up, walk around, and check for any heel lift. I've found if a boot is not giving you really good heel retention, the likelihood for blisters on the back of your heel is very high.
- A good boot should feel comfortable right away in the store. No obvious pressure points, heel lift, "slop" from being too wide, etc.

Just my two cents.
Good luck boot hunting!

Thanks for the help. I appreciate all the responses. My foot is long and narrow. Being fitted for cowboy boots I was told my foot is an 11 B. Any suggestions from the narrow foot crowd for brands to start with? Thanks again.

My feet are very narrow as well, size 11 to 12 (depending on manufacturer).

For hunting, I wear Scarpa, LaCrosse, Whites, Miendl and Redwing.

inkedspot

FNG
Italian vs German are certainly different. Some of the Meindl are made in Italy and some are made in Germany. The German made ones fit me well, but the Italy made ones do not.

So even within the same company can be big difference.

So even within the same company can be big difference.

Not usually. But, if you're a first-time buyer, I wouldn't purchase online, sight unseen. If it's your first go round with a particular boot manufacturer, I'd recommend shopping in-store. If you're unable to shop in-store and must buy online, know the boot manufacturer's return policy well, before purchasing.

I ended up with Crispi boots. I usually wear a size 12, but got them in an 11 wide and they worked great for my medium wide foot.

JBrown1

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks!
Yes, mountaineering or backpacking boots will feel very stiff at first and will require a lot of miles before the “break in”.

Even so, a boot that fits you perfectly will feel comfortable from the first moment that you try it on. Stiff, but comfortable.

Boots that don’t fit correctly will most likely never break in to the point that they feel right.

In my experience, stiff boots(mountaineering/backpacking boots) are far less forgiving in fit than regular athletic shoes or standard hiking boots. Stiff boots just done have the ability to conform to your foot the way normal shoes can.

Try on as many different models of boots from as many of the top manufacturers as you can. You will find that even when the size of is correct, the difference is unbelievable. Also, most brands have a specific “fit” that they are know for(Italian brands tend to be narrow, etc.) but this is often inconsistent because boot manufacturers will design different models off of different lasts(the last is the wooden “foot” that a boot is built around), so one model might be completely different than another, even within the same brand.

Try on as many as you can, sticking with boots that fit your application. Buy the one that fits your foot best.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Scarpa and La Sportiva tend run a little narrower than some of the makers; but even within the same brand they will use different lasts with different boots- different lasts = different fit.

Unless you happen to get lucky, expect some trial and error. The good news is once you find a boot that fits well, you'll be golden- well unless they discontinue that boot, so might be worth getting a couple of pairs once you find that perfect boot :D

< Crispi boot user here, but I don't have a narrow width foot either

For the more experienced guys, what boots would be good for an eastern Wyoming antelope hunt in early October?

Would a hiking style boot be better or a mountain style boot?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

jaked101

FNG
Crispi is my new boot of choice, my foot is wide 10 EE and I’ve had no problems fitting into them. I’ve been using redwings for years before with no issues as well.

JBrown1

Lil-Rokslider
For the more experienced guys, what boots would be good for an eastern Wyoming antelope hunt in early October?

Would a hiking style boot be better or a mountain style boot?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

There is a style that falls between hiking boot and mountaineering boot, and that is the backpacking boot.

I used to live in Wyoming. I never hunted the eastern half but I have been through a lot of it.

For antelope in eastern Wyoming any hiking boot will be fine. Heck, tennis shoes would probably work just as well. Antelope tend to stick to open rolling grassland so you don’t need a stiff, heavy boot.

Have fun, antelope hunting is a blast.