chore knife

desertcj

WKR
That Gerber Parang looks pretty mean! I saw one the other day at Wal-Mart. They are very large for a knife, I would say it falls more on the machete end. I've been wanting to get a Kabar potbelly for a while now. They are a bit heavy, but combined with a Havalon Piranta...should make a decent knife system. I'll probably pick one up soon...shopping.jpg

OP
fillthefreezer
i have a mora 2 that i believe is 1095, i like it but i would like a folding knife. the knife im currently using is a kershaw blackout. i believe its 440a and it just doesnt seem to get all that sharp

oldgrowth

Lil-Rokslider
Another steel i havent seen mentioned yet is M390. I have a knife with this steel that has been awesome. Sharpens easily, and holds a keen edge. Last year i skinned two deer and it could still scare the hair off my arm.

COR

FNG
A chore knife? Not sure what kind of new type this is but I use a Nessmuk design by BHK. While a large pseudo machete knife may look good in a movie or in some colorful advertisement with a tv star...I find they are not an efficient use of space or gear. If you are going to mess with a knife that size just get an axe and be done with it. "Batoning" is not something I find myself doing while hunting although mine is more than capable. Maybe for one of the Self Reliance courses it is a need but not in my real world of hunting.

My steel choice is 01 tool steel. I always take an oily rag for my handgun so I can just wipe the knife as I need.

chorpie

FNG
I use an esee-4 or an esee-6, but if the knife you currently use is sharp and you don't have any issues with it there no need to get anything else.

OP
fillthefreezer
so im looking at the benchmade mini griptillian in 154cm, the kershaw blur in s30v and the sog flash II in aus8. anyone have anything to add or similar options that might be superior?

I like the griptilian for my skinning knife and carry a smaller leatherman( squirt) as secondary knife. It weighs 6 ounces, I use the saw and pliers enough to justify having it, and the blade is pretty easy to sharpen too. I know you like the havalon for breaking own game, have you considered the leatherman for its multiple use?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've carried a full size griptillion in 5 countries and opened million mres with it. I have a few other benchmade knives an Osborne in sv30 steel holds an edge better than any other knife I've ever seen. You can get a custom mini grip with the sv steel blade I got one for my grandpa with his name on it. I think with benchmade life sharp it would fit your needs perfectly

boom

WKR
chore knife?

high carbon steel. nothing gets as sharp. nothing is as easy to sharpen. the only down side is that it will rust. you just have to add that one step of drying the thing. i love it.

my chore knife is a $5 knife i picked up at an antique store. some Forgecraft butcher knife..probably from the 1950's.

unm1136

WKR
My favorite, after chatting with Spyderco's chief metallurgist I fell in love with VG10, S30V is another excellent choice. I have tried most brands of knives and types of steel out there, and from a reputable manufacture, you really can't go wrong. Due to some overhardened ATS34 I tend to avoid that steel, but many people I respect love it. For carbon steel, if you can find a Benchmade with D2 or M2High Speed Steel, those are my favorite carbon knives. I think the sharpest knife I have ever owned and was very surprised to see how easy it was was to sharpen was my AFCK from Benchmade in M2 HSS. I treat that blade like a princess now, because replacing it would be a bear!

pat

Birddog

FNG
That Griptilian is a good one. I've cleaned a bunch of deer with one, and they hold an edge better than your average knife. Mine had 154 cm in it, and I believe s30v and d2 are both a good bit harder. The cutco referenced in this thread is a dang handy knife to have also. Others...Bob Dozier makes a really nice blade, of which I have one in D2...the Kestrel titanium is a nice one, but takes getting used to because of the micro serrated blade. I have a KOA Alpha Wolf in s30v that is pretty nice also. If I had to have one, I'd go with the Dozier in d2.

I actually just bought a second havalon. I keep one in my kill kit but will now be carrying a second havalon in my pocket as a chore knife and can function double duty if needed to cut up game.I lost my trusty Benchmade this year. Slipped out of my pocket while sitting oractually probably laying down in some elk meadow. So for me perfect time to upgrade with another havalon, got the new one with the thicker blade.

OP
fillthefreezer
I actually just bought a second havalon. I keep one in my kill kit but will now be carrying a second havalon in my pocket as a chore knife and can function double duty if needed to cut up game.I lost my trusty Benchmade this year. Slipped out of my pocket while sitting oractually probably laying down in some elk meadow. So for me perfect time to upgrade with another havalon, got the new one with the thicker blade.

only problem i see is some of the tasks i ask of my 2nd knife a havalon cant do. getting inside logs for dry tinder mostly, with some batoning sometimes and other tasks that i dont have the proper tool for