Brief 2023 hunt writeup / breakdown

Gerbdog

WKR
Hey all,
Doing a follow up of my 2023 season.

This year took place in a point unit in CO and.... what a difference from OTC. This year gave me a ton of experience / learning / aggravation with calling in bulls.

I think i had a total of 8 heart pounding encounters, and then another handful of bulls that snuck in. I posted some threads on here asking for advice on situations that were happening to me and thank you all for the advice, it all ended up making a difference in the end and with the end of the season closing in i sealed the deal on a bull that sure looked sizeable to a relatively untrained eye, had some ground shrinkage but i'm happy.

The encounter that played out with the kill went something along the lines:
Climbed up a slope across from the deep timber first thing in the morning. Location bugle. Get a bull down and across the canyon from a bull that liked to talk a lot, he was still there from the day before. So i start heading his way.

Get towards bottom of valley, a bull bugles off to my side, much closer. Close distance probably 80 yards.

Set up.... and actually set up, with where i think he is, where i think he's going and this was something i wasnt doing properly at beginning of the season.

Bugle: nothing - Rake : Nothing - but i cant help but know he's nearby .... so i bugle one more time and then he comes out of some timber about 50 yards from me from behind some trees.... Except: he's going the way i didnt think he'd go, he walks straight out into the open with no cover between him and I.

With nothing to do i draw and chirp on the draw.... he busts me, turns and runs.

I drop the draw: turn my head and bark/challenge him : He turns again, back down the slope, and goes into the timber i thought he'd go into, puts his head behind a tree and gives me his vitals.. Estimated at 30 yards. Elk 2023.jpg

Was a long September of hunting - 20 days total of hunting for me - exhausting but i sure did gain a whole ton of experience - Cool note: my buddy who just started elk hunting took a bull here in CO - super proud of him for getting it done in another unit on his first year

Still to come : Brothers wife's got a first season rifle hunt in the Gila, Sister has a Mule deer hunt in November in the Gila

What worked:
* Setups working great so far, camo, pack, rations, water, the whole nine yards, years of dialing seems to have me tuned
* New this year - Helle knife - loved it, fast sharpening, cut through hide, muscle, sinew like butter
* Will re-iterate a cheap pair of leather working gloves for dismantling the elk

Less impressed with:
* Synthetic shirts, man they stink fast, guess i didnt appreciate the difference between wool and synthetic more until this year
* my Benchmade looked like butt cheeks next to the Helle knife. I may be a knife dunce but it didnt hold an edge as long.
* trying a new arrowhead next year - This is the third helix ive broken the flanges off on after it passes through an elk, for a solid piece of steel i expect it to hold together on a pass through.

Last edited:
That's awesome it came together and congratulations on getting your bull! Archery elk hunting is continually humbling and I wouldn't let your head spend too much time on ground shrinkage. I had read your other posts as well asking for advice and got a few nuggets myself reading through the comments so I appreciate you posting up your experience for others like myself to learn from.

gelton

WKR
@Gerbdog nice seeing you on the mountain. Congrats man!

I’ve been in em every day just can’t seem to close the deal. I am sittting on top of a ridge now trying to strategize. Oh and I blew out my ball joint on my pickup and had to limp into town so that took me outta the game for a couple days.

Currently spiked camped into a drainage where 4-5 different herds filter through. Crunch time.

OP
Gerbdog

Gerbdog

WKR
@Gerbdog nice seeing you on the mountain. Congrats man!

I’ve been in em every day just can’t seem to close the deal. I am sittting on top of a ridge now trying to strategize. Oh and I blew out my ball joint on my pickup and had to limp into town so that took me outta the game for a couple days.

Currently spiked camped into a drainage where 4-5 different herds filter through. Crunch time.
Swell meeting you as well! You guys find a place for your Dad to hunt?

ElkNut1

WKR
Gertbdog, congrats bud, well done!

gelton, no time to be passive, season is winding down! Get down to within 200 yards (closer if possible but don't push it) or so in good cover & wind. Your setup needs to be tight, force them to come within your range before seeing source of calling. Now go to the Breeding Sequence as shown on the App, (I know you have it) Start slow with elk lingering in for a minute then slowly ramp it up the next 2 minutes & keep up that variety of cow chatter & bull moans, light chuckling. groans & pants plus raking & stomping your feet/heels, make it real. Do this a minimum 30 minutes with slight pausing to watch & listen.

You do not want to see the elk you're working at anytime, you MUST be hidden. If you have a shooter put him 40 yards up front, if not, no worries, sound believable & good things can happen! Good luck!

P.S. they or he will most likely come in silent!

ElkNut

Last edited:

gelton

WKR
Swell meeting you as well! You guys find a place for your Dad to hunt?
I packed into an area and then went back to the trailhead and packed 1/2 his stuff in, so he is in here w me since yesterday anyway. Working several different herds each w heard bulls and they are call shy and drop about 2k ft in elevation every night and ambushing em isn’t working out so far. Getting screwed by thermals. They are in bed by 7 every morning.

gelton

WKR
Gertbdog, congrats bud, well done!

gelton, no time to be passive, season is winding down! Get down to within 200 yards (closer if possible but don't push it) or so in good cover & wind. Your setup needs to be tight, force them to come within your range before seeing source of calling. Now go to the Breeding Sequence as shown on the App, (I know you have it) Start slow with elk lingering in for a minute then slowly ramp it up the next 2 minutes & keep up that variety of cow chatter & bull moans, light chuckling. groans & pants plus raking & stomping your feet/heels, make it real. Do this a minimum 30 minutes with slight pausing to watch & listen.

You do not want to see the elk you're working at anytime, you MUST be hidden. If you have a shooter put him 40 yards up front, if not, no worries, sound believable & good things can happen! Good luck!

P.S. they or he will most likely come in silent!

ElkNut
Love it. Thanks @ElkNut.

Read1t48

WKR
* New this year - Helle knife - loved it, fast sharpening, cut through hide, muscle, sinew like butter
Congrats on your bull. Way to stay with it. 20 days is a long time. Regarding the Helle knife... is this the Norwegian company you are referring to? If so, which model and where did you purchase? Good looking knives. How do you typically sharpen? Over the last couple years, I have really come to appreciate a fixed blade knife outside of my havalon. They stay sharper longer, and I don't have to be as gentle, which allows me to go faster - and faster means less bees and flies, especially hunting solo!

Congrats on the bull. My younger brother bought all the men in the family a Helle knife for Christmas several years ago and I love mine as well.

LVaughn

FNG
Hey all,
Doing a follow up of my 2023 season.

This year took place in a point unit in CO and.... what a difference from OTC. This year gave me a ton of experience / learning / aggravation with calling in bulls.

I think i had a total of 8 heart pounding encounters, and then another handful of bulls that snuck in. I posted some threads on here asking for advice on situations that were happening to me and thank you all for the advice, it all ended up making a difference in the end and with the end of the season closing in i sealed the deal on a bull that sure looked sizeable to a relatively untrained eye, had some ground shrinkage but i'm happy.

The encounter that played out with the kill went something along the lines:
Climbed up a slope across from the deep timber first thing in the morning. Location bugle. Get a bull down and across the canyon from a bull that liked to talk a lot, he was still there from the day before. So i start heading his way.

Get towards bottom of valley, a bull bugles off to my side, much closer. Close distance probably 80 yards.

Set up.... and actually set up, with where i think he is, where i think he's going and this was something i wasnt doing properly at beginning of the season.

Bugle: nothing - Rake : Nothing - but i cant help but know he's nearby .... so i bugle one more time and then he comes out of some timber about 50 yards from me from behind some trees.... Except: he's going the way i didnt think he'd go, he walks straight out into the open with no cover between him and I.

With nothing to do i draw and chirp on the draw.... he busts me, turns and runs.

I drop the draw: turn my head and bark/challenge him : He turns again, back down the slope, and goes into the timber i thought he'd go into, puts his head behind a tree and gives me his vitals.. Estimated at 30 yards. View attachment 607469

Was a long September of hunting - 20 days total of hunting for me - exhausting but i sure did gain a whole ton of experience - Cool note: my buddy who just started elk hunting took a bull here in CO - super proud of him for getting it done in another unit on his first year

Still to come : Brothers wife's got a first season rifle hunt in the Gila, Sister has a Mule deer hunt in November in the Gila

What worked:
* Setups working great so far, camo, pack, rations, water, the whole nine yards, years of dialing seems to have me tuned
* Will re-iterate a cheap pair of leather working gloves for dismantling the elk

Less impressed with:
* Synthetic shirts, man they stink fast, guess i didnt appreciate the difference between wool and synthetic more until this year
* my Benchmade looked like butt cheeks next to the Helle knife. I may be a knife dunce but it didnt hold an edge as long.
* trying a new arrowhead next year - This is the third helix ive broken the flanges off on after it passes through an elk, for a solid piece of steel i expect it to hold together on a pass through.
Congratulations