Christensen Arms Mesa 6.5 PRC Question

muleymemories

Lil-Rokslider
So, I finally got the opportunity to shoot my new PRC the other day. Loved the rifle and how it shoots but having a issue with ejections. I put 30 (factory hornady 143 and 147) rounds through the rifle and followed break in procedures. So after firing the rifle I could lift the bolt to the point of pulling it rearwards but it was super sticky and tough to bring the bolt back. This happens only after the shots were fired, feeding a live round with no issues. It appears I have some small marring on the brass after ejections coming from the bolt face.

I have not contacted CR yet with any questions. In short of lubing the lugs and such, any other ideas?

I just shipped my .300 PRC ridgeline to CA on Thursday for the exact same issue. There are multiple threads that I've seen in the last few weeks about the same thing. I spoke with their CS, and the guy said "this is a problem we've seen with this caliber", but it sounds like they have a much larger problem on their hands. I'm probably going to sell mine after i confirm that the issue is fixed and stay away from CA in the future.

OP
muleymemories

muleymemories

Lil-Rokslider
Talked to CR today. Told me to take heavy solvent to the chamber. I asked if there is anything else and the guy told me "nope unless you want to send it back to the factory." Huh, we will see

Dhbwa

WKR
What’s your head stamp look like on the brass
This^^
A new ejector spring won’t fix sticky bolt lift....
A great many CA run just fine. Both of mine do but neither are a 300 of any type. One is a 6.5CM the other a 6.5 PRC.
Co-worker has a 300WM runs and shoots like a champ....

OP
muleymemories

muleymemories

Lil-Rokslider
Head stamp is marred

Attachments

• IMG_20200817_190831.jpg
    IMG_20200817_190831.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_20200817_190918.jpg
    IMG_20200817_190918.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 85

Fourteen

Lil-Rokslider
This^^
A new ejector spring won’t fix sticky bolt lift....
A great many CA run just fine. Both of mine do but neither are a 300 of any type. One is a 6.5CM the other a 6.5 PRC.
Co-worker has a 300WM runs and shoots like a champ....

Just ordered a 28 Nosler Ridgeline. Hoping there is no issue. Now I’m sweating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Head stamp is marred
My brass was a little marred up too. Then I switched to ADG brass, problem went away. I think Hornady makes better-than-average factory loads, but their brass is pretty weak, tolerances dont seem tight at all. Might not be the problem with your rifle, but it fixed mine.

My brass was a little marred up too. Then I switched to ADG brass, problem went away. I think Hornady makes better-than-average factory loads, but their brass is pretty weak, tolerances dont seem tight at all. Might not be the problem with your rifle, but it fixed mine.

I’ve heard this from multiple people as well. The hornady brass seems to be softer than adg

Dcrafton

WKR
This is not the first time CA has had issues. It still surprises me how many people spend that kind of money on them. Many other options out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
muleymemories

muleymemories

Lil-Rokslider
I guess I will clean chamber and lube the lugs and see what happens. Might have to try different brass too.

While you were breaking in and cleaning were you making sure no solvent was left in the chamber? This can cause pressure issues.

^^^^this^^^^

What you are describing happened to a buddy while we were breaking in his Mesa. It had absolutely nothing to do with the fact it was a CA, but simply a result of a wet chamber from all the cleaning solvent.

He had severe pressure signs from factory ammo, and somewhat sticky bolt lift. We dried out the chamber and the problem disappeared.

As I understand it, wet chambers increase pressure because liquids don’t compress, and also because the lubricant prevents the brass from grabbing onto the walls of the chamber as it expands during firing, causing the brass to slam backwards with more than usual force.

Hopefully, that’s all that’s wrong with yours.

FWIW, with a sample size of two, we really like these Christensens. My Mesa LR 7mmRM is incredibly accurate, and will shoot a sub-0.3 MOA group including a cold-bore shot (which is pretty unusual in my experience).

Elk Larry

FNG
I just bought a mesa in 28 nosler, very smooth bolt and no cycling issues. Although I've had a few Precision Hunter loads that didn't chamber, but CA has a tight chamber, just kinda surprised me from hornady. Super sweet & accurate gun!

Sounds and looks like your factory ammo is over pressure. ADG brass might hide pressure signs better than hornady but that doesn't mean the pressure is gone.

I'd guess the ammo is loaded hot or something about your chamber causes it to develop pressure early. It sounds like they may be prone to having tight chambers.

Wapiti1

WKR
The swipe on the head of the case tells me it is sticking in the chamber, likely due to a rough machined surface or pressure issue.

Given the ammo is factory Hornady, I wouldn't think pressure issues. I also see no ejector mark on the case head, just the swipe from the button during bolt rotation.

I would want a look at the chamber and see if it should be polished which can be done without tearing the rifle down.

Take a photo of the sidewall of the case. A rough chamber will imprint on the case and you should see the machining marks from the reamer.

Jeremy