Chugach sheep hunt 24

ScottP

WKR
Hello fellow sheep enthusiasts-

I was super fortunate to draw DS165. Have to admit, I'm a pretty new AK resident and this will be my first real dall's hunt. I have a couple of questions for anyone that's done this hunt (or similar) before.

- Timing -- Aug 10 - Sept 20 is the season, any reason to get in the 'race' for Aug 10 opener? I'm very flexible with my hunt dates. I'm flying with Meekin, and a couple of the days before Aug 10 were already full by noon of the draw result day. haha. So I haven't picked a date as I was also getting a hunting partner in place. But I have no concept of how the sheep are distributed in this massive area - so can't really anticipate how hunters are generally distributed out there either.

- Crampons or microspikes? I have hill sound microspikes, wondering if those are sufficient.

- Lightweight hip waders? What's the thought on these, useful or better to pull boots and cross in crocs?

Any other advice happily accepted. DM is fine too if you prefer. My gear is pretty dialed for a week+ hunt via super cub, so in that department I'm probably ok given it's only February.

t_carlson

WKR
I have zero experience with dall sheep, but I do have mountaineering experience.

Micro spikes will NOT give you adequate purchase on a glacier with any significant amount of slope to it, and the Alaskan wilderness is no place to go skipping down the ice. In addition, take at least one trekking pole to maintain three points of contact while crossing.

You can find lightweight aluminum crampons, which I would suggest over steel ones on a backpack hunt. Just take them off before walking on any rocks.

OP
ScottP

ScottP

WKR
I have zero experience with dall sheep, but I do have mountaineering experience.

Micro spikes will NOT give you adequate purchase on a glacier with any significant amount of slope to it, and the Alaskan wilderness is no place to go skipping down the ice. In addition, take at least one trekking pole to maintain three points of contact while crossing.

You can find lightweight aluminum crampons, which I would suggest over steel ones on a backpack hunt. Just take them off before walking on any rocks.
Thank you for the insight. I always use two trekking poles.

No experience or help, but super pumped (jealous of) for you. I put in for the same tag.

Please come back and give us a trip report!

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
For early season, crocs are great for river crossings. You’ll probably have too high of water to cross in UL waders (Wiggy’s glacier sock style). They also double up as camp shoes.

I would leave the spikes at home, sheep live lower than the goats and generally stay below the snow line that time of year. Crampons are nice for super slick grass if there’s heavy august rains.

Bambistew

WKR
Its a large area, they cut the tag numbers in half this year compared to what was in the supplement (8 vs 16 in the sup). In 2022 they gave out 16 res tags, and 3 NR., The year before that was 20 and 5. That should give you an idea of what's going on out there. The harvest rate was decent last year ~45%, so I'm unsure why they would have cut it so much. Historically for all draw tags about 30% of those who draw don't hunt. I doubt you'll have much company if any. Based on that there will be 2 NR and 6 residents total for the season.

Hunt near the glaciers.

Skip the micro spikes, get a set of 4 or 6point instep crampons. I cant imagine needing more than that, or even needing them, to be honest.

Early the sheep are high, later they are lower. The population is a shell of its former self. There a a number of guys on here very familiar with that area.

I'd get a date nailed down an a flight lined up ASAP.

For a first sheep hunt, you got a doozy in terms of trophy potential and difficulty.

Good luck!

I'd go early if possible, get to base camp a few days before season start. Nothing would be sadder than making a plan and showing up on the 12th and seeing people walking out with horn on heavy packs and rams blown out of the country.

Skip the micro spikes, get a set of 4 or 6point instep crampons. I cant imagine needing more than that, or even needing them, to be honest.

What in particular makes you say that?

My take: Microspikes are relatively light and work very well on frozen tundra, ice and snow.
I havn't use them a lot while sheep hunting, mostly while after goats. However I used them extensively on my Bighorn hunt this November and they were a crucial part of my gear. Hunting on a glacier, they would also be vital. You are not on blue water ice, a glaciers surface is rotten and easy for Microspikes to grip into.
If there is any chance of hiking, and especially packing heavy on a glacier, these should be mandatory in your kit. Theres nothing worse than tentatively walking slowly and trying not to slip while wearing a heavy pack. Microspikes will allow you to walk confidently and safely.

Instep crampons do not give any grip to your forefoot. If a person needs traction on ice, you do not want one part of your foot gripping and the heel or forefoot slipping as you hike and scramble around.

Micro spikes will NOT give you adequate purchase on a glacier with any significant amount of slope to it,.

You have to take into account that 99% of hunters have no business being on hard ice with a heavy pack on. Wearing crampons when one has little to no experience using them is also asking for trouble. Microspikes give great traction on glaciers up to a moderate degree of angle. I've spent quite a lot of time using them just for this purpose.

OP
ScottP

ScottP

WKR
I'd get a date nailed down an a flight lined up ASAP.

For a first sheep hunt, you got a doozy in terms of trophy potential and difficulty.

Good luck!
Well stated. I did realize that going into it, so I'm preparing for it now mentally and physically.

OP
ScottP

ScottP

WKR
You have to take into account that 99% of hunters have no business being on hard ice with a heavy pack on. Wearing crampons when one has little to no experience using them is also asking for trouble. Microspikes give great traction on glaciers up to a moderate degree of angle. I've spent quite a lot of time using them just for this purpose.

I appreciate all of the discussion. My intent is not to walk around on the ice, but I've seen that there's some strips on the glacier edges so some amount of navigation over the ice may be required to get on/off and to/from hunt-able drainages?

I'd rather not pack the weight, but don't want to get myself in a tough spot right out the gate.

t_carlson

WKR

Yeah, I guess that's the conundrum. If you end up needing crampons, you'll need them BAD, but carrying them might encourage taking risks.

dallen

Lil-Rokslider
On timing….opening day is nice because the rams haven’t been taken yet, but the downside is pressure. I always hated “competing” for a ram with other hunters around. Great way to blow sheep out if you get someone who doesn’t care your already making a move….back in the days that 14A was all OTC, I actually preferred going in after the first 10 days of the season were up. Old sheep move around that first couple of days, then it seems like everyone quit hunting and they settle right back down nicely. That’s been my experience anyways. Crampons/spikes….Ive personally never carried any with me….but surely country dependent .

Bambistew

WKR
What in particular makes you say that?

My take: Microspikes are relatively light and work very well on frozen tundra, ice and snow.
I havn't use them a lot while sheep hunting, mostly while after goats. However I used them extensively on my Bighorn hunt this November and they were a crucial part of my gear. Hunting on a glacier, they would also be vital. You are not on blue water ice, a glaciers surface is rotten and easy for Microspikes to grip into.
If there is any chance of hiking, and especially packing heavy on a glacier, these should be mandatory in your kit. Theres nothing worse than tentatively walking slowly and trying not to slip while wearing a heavy pack. Microspikes will allow you to walk confidently and safely.

Instep crampons do not give any grip to your forefoot. If a person needs traction on ice, you do not want one part of your foot gripping and the heel or forefoot slipping as you hike and scramble around.
I've found that micro spikes slip off your boot if you put any pressure on them when climbing, even if you tie them on they are not as solid. They work pretty well for most things things, but not my first choice. I've lost more than one climbing and its pretty dicey when it happens.

I'm very familiar with hunting and traversing glaciers, and crampons are rarely a thought for me. The half dozen or so I've crossed could be done so with just boots. Its pretty easily to pick your way across on the rock cover, and pick your way through the ice chutes as needed. Your are correct that instep crampons do not offer as good of purchase on the toe, but when hiking up/down you use a sidestep and they are very effective. They are also very effective on wet grass, flat ice, icy trails etc. and most importantly they don't slip off. I have an inexpensive pair of Hillsound 10pt crampons that I use for winter hunts.

I'm hardly an avid sheep hunter, only been on a few dozen hunts, in AK and in MT but I've only wished I had crampons 2x, once on a retrieval of a ram that died in a snow filled avalanche chute (my buddy luckliy had a pair of 6pt crampons), and once crossing wet grass slope (which we had to climb back up to avoid). Both instances would have been more than doable with instep crampons, or microspikes, but as I said I'm not a fan of the later. The instep crampons are just as light or lighter BWT.

I've found that micro spikes slip off your boot if you put any pressure on them when climbing, even if you tie them on they are not as solid. They work pretty well for most things things, but not my first choice. I've lost more than one climbing and its pretty dicey when it happens.

I'm very familiar with hunting and traversing glaciers, and crampons are rarely a thought for me. The half dozen or so I've crossed could be done so with just boots. Its pretty easily to pick your way across on the rock cover, and pick your way through the ice chutes as needed. Your are correct that instep crampons do not offer as good of purchase on the toe, but when hiking up/down you use a sidestep and they are very effective. They are also very effective on wet grass, flat ice, icy trails etc. and most importantly they don't slip off. I have an inexpensive pair of Hillsound 10pt crampons that I use for winter hunts.

I'm hardly an avid sheep hunter, only been on a few dozen hunts, in AK and in MT but I've only wished I had crampons 2x, once on a retrieval of a ram that died in a snow filled avalanche chute (my buddy luckliy had a pair of 6pt crampons), and once crossing wet grass slope (which we had to climb back up to avoid). Both instances would have been more than doable with instep crampons, or microspikes, but as I said I'm not a fan of the later. The instep crampons are just as light or lighter BWT.
Thanks for your perspective as well.

smg

FNG
Does anyone have any crampon brands that they like over others when walking or side hilling on a wet grassy slope?

If you're in the market for micro spikes I'd recommend the Grivel explorers over the more common katoolas. The grivel spikes are longer and more aggressive than the katoolas and they fit better on boots for me.

I agree with Ben on micro spikes vs crampons. I find that usually crampons are overkill and I can just as easily move around with micro spikes. It really depends on where Meekins drops you off at whether you'll need them or not. There's plenty of places you can get dropped off for a ds165 hunt and not be around the glaciers.

If you already bring crocs I'd skip the waders, it's just one more thing weighing you down.

What micro spikes do you like? I’ve used those shorter Kahtoola and they seem pretty good for goat.

View attachment 680492
Those would probably be a great option for goats. A ‘lite’ crampon.
Also the Grivel Explorers that GoatBoat mentioned look like a worthy alternative to Microspikes.
Microspikes are the model of Kahtoola, not to be confused with the myriad of other crappy traction devices out there.
I use either Kahtoola Microspikes or Camp Aluminum Crampons.