Chugach -vs- Boundary Stormtight

Vandal 44

WKR
I need new packable rain jacket and I have narrowed it down to the Kuiu Chugach XL and the First Lite Boundary Stormtight XL. I do not have access to either of theses jackets, can someone tell me what the weight is for an XL and show me a picture of how small they pack down. Any help would be great. It looks like these two are the best of the best in my opinion. Thanks for the help.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have both but in size medium. You won't go wrong with either jacket. The First Lite is a roomier fit, the Chugach a more athletic fit.

Olydog09

Lil-Rokslider

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Chugach has slightly superior breathability and they both have the same waterproofing according to the specifications listed by the manufacturers.

Check out the specs on each:

https://store.kuiu.com/products/clothing/chugach_nx_rain_jacket/?category_name=outerwear

http://www.firstlite.com/product_detail/687/boundary-stormtight

Chugach is 20,000mm waterproof and 40,000 MVTR breathability.
Boundary is 20,000mm water proof and 30,000 MVTR breathability.
On paper yes, but so far in in my tests they perform fairly close. Close enough its hard to note the difference. I'd make my decision based on the specific features of each jacket. Breath-ability differences will be hard to tell, at least that is what I experienced thus far. Chugach NX may be better, but its hard for the regular use to differentiate this, IMO. Both companies are rock solid, so either choice is a winner.

Olydog09

Lil-Rokslider
Agree with the above statements. As close as they are fit and use should come into play if you can compare them first hand. I heard rumors of the Chugach being somewhat less durable though I can not confirm that to be true.

Olydog09

Lil-Rokslider
I see that you are looking at good rain gear after hunting elk in N. Idaho last week. Same thing i did and am looking into now. We got poured on most of the week and ended up drenched so bad we had to hike out and make a run to the nearest town to dry our clothes at the laundry mat. I had a couple pairs of decent rain gear for me and my partner and it all got drenched. It made for a tough hunt. we saw alot of bulls but with the crappy weather and the bulls not bugling it made for a tough hunt. I hope your ankle heals up.

OP
Vandal 44

Vandal 44

WKR
Ya, this was this wettest elk season I can ever remember. I hunted 12 days and in this September and it rained on me all but 2 of the days.

I am looking at these two jackets because I think they are the best on the market, I am looking for something that is lite and packable. I think the Kuiu and First Lite rain jackets would be to close to call on breathability and waterproofness.

Olydog09

Lil-Rokslider
Ya, this was this wettest elk season I can ever remember. I hunted 12 days and in this September and it rained on me all but 2 of the days.

I am looking at these two jackets because I think they are the best on the market, I am looking for something that is lite and packable. I think the Kuiu and First Lite rain jackets would be to close to call on breathability and waterproofness.

That is true. One thing to consider is that the Kuiu has been out a few years and there has been time to fine tune the product and work out the bugs. The Boundary is a newer product and even though First Lite is top notch you may be better off going with the established jacket of the two with everything being so close. I seriously doubt that you could go wrong with either jacket though.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Neither sounds like paper, at least to me. Most of the newer jackets have a lot of flex to them so they are a lot quieter than the GoreTex jackets of the 90s.