Class/clinics in the SE

fwafwow

WKR
I'm working on a NY resolution - no (less?) gear and more shooting. I would like recommendations on a LR shooting glass, ideally in the SE. I'm in GA and would prefer to drive with my gear. I'm open to a class, or 1:1. As far as the level of instruction, while I'm comfortable with shooting, I'd be fine with a basic or intro class. I'm doing some prep work with watching the @THLR intro video ("Long range shooting from scratch") and Jacob Bynum's videos (thanks for the suggestions @Dobermann). I also belong to a gun club that hosts quite a few matches, so I may head over one weekend to watch.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I'm working on a NY resolution - no (less?) gear and more shooting. I would like recommendations on a LR shooting glass, ideally in the SE. I'm in GA and would prefer to drive with my gear. I'm open to a class, or 1:1. As far as the level of instruction, while I'm comfortable with shooting, I'd be fine with a basic or intro class. I'm doing some prep work with watching the @THLR intro video ("Long range shooting from scratch") and Jacob Bynum's videos (thanks for the suggestions @Dobermann). I also belong to a gun club that hosts quite a few matches, so I may head over one weekend to watch.

Hunting, PRS, or “tactical” oriented?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Sorry - hunting.

There aren’t any. The “hunting” courses that are offered are nothing but poorly done PRS or “tactical” courses at best.

Your best, or closest best is a Rifles Only Course with Jacob Bynum. At least he has fundamentals and practicality in his courses.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
There aren’t any. The “hunting” courses that are offered are nothing but poorly done PRS or “tactical” courses at best.

Your best, or closest best is a Rifles Only Course with Jacob Bynum. At least he has fundamentals and practicality in his courses.
Thanks. I’m ok with the training not focusing on hunting, as I hope this will be my first of several courses. I’m looking at Rifles Only but open to others.

Mcwhorter rifles in Doerun GA offers a shooting class.
James Eagleman at Barbour Creek in Eufaula AL offers courses on long range shooting, as well.
Not sure if their style fits your need….
As far as I know these guys don’t require a rifle purchase but, they certainly use the courses to promote theirs.
good shootin’

As far as I know these guys don’t require a rifle purchase but, they certainly use the courses to promote theirs.
good shootin’
From Barbour Creek's website you can't even use your own rifle during the course. You have to use theirs and then after the course is done you can shoot yours a little if you want.

Dobermann

WKR
To clarify slightly ... I mentioned to @fwafwow that the LR course I did here had a requirement of watching @THLR's and Jacob's videos beforehand, which helped get some things up to speed before we were in the field (with the caveats that Thomas says his long video is now so old he doesn't remember what's in it, and Jacob's videos will teach buttpad on collarbone) ...

But my suggestion to @fwafwow was to go and train with @Formidilosus via Shoot2Hunt University.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
To clarify slightly ... I mentioned to @fwafwow that the LR course I did here had a requirement of watching @THLR's and Jacob's videos beforehand, which helped get some things up to speed before we were in the field (with the caveats that Thomas says his long video is now so old he doesn't remember what's in it, and Jacob's videos will teach buttpad on collarbone) ...

But my suggestion to @fwafwow was to go and train with @Formidilosus via Shoot2Hunt University.
Sorry to have tagged you without permission, and hope my paraphrasing wasn’t too far off. I’m hoping to go to S2H University, but I need to go to JUCO first.

Dobermann

WKR
Sorry to have tagged you without permission, and hope my paraphrasing wasn’t too far off. I’m hoping to go to S2H University, but I need to go to JUCO first.
No problem on the tagging, and the paraphrasing wasn't too far off.

My guess is that you'd still learn a lot from Form first up.

But Jacob's focus on the fundamentals of natural point of aim, sight alignment/sight picture, breathing, trigger control, and follow-through would be a useful platform. Learning those either through his course or vids (and Thomas's), and then applying with both Form's drill (here on the Slide) and the Riflekraft drill would probably put you ahead of most.

My recommendation for going straight to Form is that, having trained in other things, I know how hard it can be to untrain/re-train.

Story time: years ago, I wanted to train in a highly particular subset of the martial arts/CQC. One of the leading instructors for this was in the US, and he was offering a course for the first time in some years. I lived on the other side of the world, had minimal income at the time, had zero experience in what he was teaching, but rang anyway. His immediate response was to tell me that if I could make it happen to pay for the flight and course, then he'd offer for me to train with him, one-on-one, for three days beforehand - for free. It's a bit hard to describe what this offer was like without naming him - let's just say that his daily fee was usually US$1000, and it would be as if I'd wanted to learn guitar and Eric Clapton (or insert your own guitar legend here) said to come over for free personal lessons at his ranch for three days.

Point of the story? Yes, it was like drinking from a firehose. Yes, it was intimidating. Yes, I only learnt a fraction of a percent of what this guy knew. But at least I got the basics from the source - and I saw what excellent looked like. And I got hands-on correction from someone who actually knew what they were doing.

If I lived in the US, I'd be at S2HU in a heartbeat.

Ibex

FNG
Not to hijack the thread but any good courses in Texas or surrounding states?

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
No problem on the tagging, and the paraphrasing wasn't too far off.

My guess is that you'd still learn a lot from Form first up.

But Jacob's focus on the fundamentals of natural point of aim, sight alignment/sight picture, breathing, trigger control, and follow-through would be a useful platform. Learning those either through his course or vids (and Thomas's), and then applying with both Form's drill (here on the Slide) and the Riflekraft drill would probably put you ahead of most.

My recommendation for going straight to Form is that, having trained in other things, I know how hard it can be to untrain/re-train.

Story time: years ago, I wanted to train in a highly particular subset of the martial arts/CQC. One of the leading instructors for this was in the US, and he was offering a course for the first time in some years. I lived on the other side of the world, had minimal income at the time, had zero experience in what he was teaching, but rang anyway. His immediate response was to tell me that if I could make it happen to pay for the flight and course, then he'd offer for me to train with him, one-on-one, for three days beforehand - for free. It's a bit hard to describe what this offer was like without naming him - let's just say that his daily fee was usually US$1000, and it would be as if I'd wanted to learn guitar and Eric Clapton (or insert your own guitar legend here) said to come over for free personal lessons at his ranch for three days.

Point of the story? Yes, it was like drinking from a firehose. Yes, it was intimidating. Yes, I only learnt a fraction of a percent of what this guy knew. But at least I got the basics from the source - and I saw what excellent looked like. And I got hands-on correction from someone who actually knew what they were doing.

If I lived in the US, I'd be at S2HU in a heartbeat.
Thank you for the above. S2HU is sold out for 2024, so at best I can do 2025, or HAHA (but my read of the latter is that it would be best to come with more knowledge than I presently have).

If you could travel around the world for the above, I should be willing to go a bit farther than driving distance. Texas isn't too far, and I'm trying to find out where Chris Way is going to be in 2024, which appears may include FL and VA, which would be easier to get to.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Thank you for the above. S2HU is sold out for 2024, so at best I can do 2025, or HAHA (but my read of the latter is that it would be best to come with more knowledge than I presently have).

No. The S2H course starts at “this is a rifle” and goes from there. Every foundational aspect is conditioned in- that’s why it is 5 days long.

Not trying to sell anything as it’s not my gig, just want to be clear for everyone.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
To all-

There are “lay on the ground or sit at a bench and hit steel plates on a flat range” courses. There are “go prone from a bipod, standing from a tripod, and game changer bag on a barricade” courses. There are even a couple “prone from a mountain and shoot to another mountain after taking 10 minutes to setup” courses. The reason I have agreed to do the first (at the moment) S2H course is because there isn’t anything for hunters. I do not want to be a “trainer”. But since there isn’t a single course I could recommend someone personally to go to learn solid riflemanship for hunting, here we are.

There are no legit hunting rifle courses that I, Ryan, or anyone I am around are aware of. There are no “take a your 7lb rifle, backpack, and hiking sticks, learn optimized gun handling, bolt manipulation, the correct shot process, and rapid shooting. Do it from prone, sitting, kneeling, and offhand. Then do it under time constraints. A streamlined and clear way to use ballistic apps, read and call wind, and optimum spotter and shooter dialogue. Then do it from really jacked up mountain positions/scenarios using available items for support. Then do it under time constraints. Legitimate terminal ballistics discussion and education. Gear education, etc.- An actual hunting rifle course.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
No. The S2H course starts at “this is a rifle” and goes from there. Every foundational aspect is conditioned in- that’s why it is 5 days long.

Not trying to sell anything as it’s not my gig, just want to be clear for everyone.
My reference to "the latter" was to the Half Ass Hunting Academy (HAHA) two day course. My read of that event description lead me to believe it would not be as all encompassing as the S2H(U) 5 day course you described.
To all-

There are “lay on the ground or sit at a bench and hit steel plates on a flat range” courses. There are “go prone from a bipod, standing from a tripod, and game changer bag on a barricade” courses. There are even a couple “prone from a mountain and shoot to another mountain after taking 10 minutes to setup” courses. The reason I have agreed to do the first (at the moment) S2H course is because there isn’t anything for hunters. I do not want to be a “trainer”. But since there isn’t a single course I could recommend someone personally to go to learn solid riflemanship for hunting, here we are.
I probably should have signed up when there were still spots. I might be reading too much into the above, but if you open up another class for 2024, please let us know.
There are no legit hunting rifle courses that I, Ryan, or anyone I am around are aware of. There are no “take a your 7lb rifle, backpack, and hiking sticks, learn optimized gun handling, bolt manipulation, the correct shot process, and rapid shooting. Do it from prone, sitting, kneeling, and offhand. Then do it under time constraints. A streamlined and clear way to use ballistic apps, read and call wind, and optimum spotter and shooter dialogue. Then do it from really jacked up mountain positions/scenarios using available items for support. Then do it under time constraints. Legitimate terminal ballistics discussion and education. Gear education, etc.- An actual hunting rifle course.
The above sounds great, and would be ideal for me. If there is not another course offered in 2024, I'd still be tempted to wait for 2025 and see what I could DIY in the interim.