Climbing Tree Stands

So I am curious what people think about a couple things regarding mobile tree stands.

I currently have a couple year old Summit climbing tree stand. I hunt on public land and have to get down and climb up for every single hunt. It's a good stand. Comfortable, still in good shape.

However, that thing is kind of quite a bit to carry around when I went to go on longer walks to find a good spot. You know, the 1-2+ mile walks. It's just a lot to carry around, especially when there are weeds on the ground and it's snagging stuff here and there.

So my question is.. for those kind of walks, would people recommend possibility looking into a lighter climbing stand? Something a little easier to move around in, especially for the longer walks and having to go up and down a tree every time.

And if so.. any recommendations? I'm not really sure what are the best options outside of the more bulky climbing stands such as that.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Macintosh

WKR
Are most of the trees where you hunt friendly for a climbing stand? around me the answer is often no, so a climber is an awkward fit regardless of how it carries, so folks either use a loc on, or a saddle for the most part. I have very little experience with climbers, but every time the subject of light stands comes up a guy with a climber chimes in and says they can be very light...so it may just be a bulk issue (??). Is a loc-on and sticks any less bulky? (I dont know). A saddle and short sticks or a saddle and 1-stick is sure to be a lot less bulky than any stand, though, and I think significantly lighter as well.

Last edited:

roosterdown

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting topic. I have a 20+ year-old Lone Wolf hand climber that's ~15 pounds. It sees service maybe once per year these days (next week!) as I mostly hunt fixed stands, but it still works perfectly.

I've often thought that a relatively petite climber could probably be manufactured in the sub-10# range. Likely Lone Wolf Custom would be the guys to do it if anyone could. I recall there was a small brand that made one in the 12# range many years back, but it was surprisingly bulky.

Other commenters are right - they don't work for all situations. Certainly the super-light hang-ons and some steps with aiders will come in much lighter and be more versatile.

However...those require a certain level of fitness. As I age I know my days of being able to climb trees like a monkey are numbered; the climber is easier to use than the steps/aiders + hang-on.

OXN939

WKR
I've often thought that a relatively petite climber could probably be manufactured in the sub-10# range. Likely Lone Wolf Custom would be the guys to do it if anyone could.

They did. The MSRP is, not kidding, a grand.

If anyone is a welder looking for a side hustle, I've got one for you. Pretty easy set of parameters to meet, honestly. Under 15 pounds and under 500 bucks. Two stationary pieces of metal we're talking about here, not the Hubble telescope. Crazy to me that Lone Wolf or whatever they've become would price their stand above what a nice rifle costs.

OP
I
Are most of the trees where you hunt friendly for a climbing stand? around me the answer is often no, so a climber is an awkward fit regardless of how it carries, so folks either use a loc on on a saddle for the most part. I have very little experience with climbers, but every time the subject of light stands comes up a guy with a climber chimes in and says they can be very light...so it may just be a bulk issue (??). Is a loc-on and sticks any less bulky? (I dont know). A saddle and short sticks or a saddle and 1-stick is sure to be a lot less bulky than any stand, though, and I think significantly lighter as well.

Pretty friendly area for climbing stands.

SloppyJ

WKR
At that point I think most people go with a saddle setup. I love my Summit Goliath. I hunt mainly private stuff where I can set it up before hand. If I had to walk in quite a ways with it I would not be using that model but it's so damn comfy and I've had nothing but great luck with it.

In your shoes, I'd look at a saddle as much as I hate to say that. Just don't use a saddle AND use a 6.5 creedmoor.

OXN939

WKR
my frugal ass is not a buyer at even half that price.

Frugal, or just not dumb? Climber I'm sitting in probably has about $30-$50 worth of material in it. Lone Wolf has lost their skull.

Also, pro tip for anyone considering this idea- shooting for a 250 pound capacity instead of 300 makes everything about this a lot easier... the vast majority of dudes hiking in long distances to bowhunt are not the size of NFL linemen

I think a climber stand has its place. A fixed stand also has its place. Lastly, a saddle set up has its place. I will likely have 3-4 fixed stands eventually.
I used a climber for ~18 years. I like them because the give teh flexibility to adjust your position.
I love teh saddle setup because its even more flexible and allows me to get into a tree that a climber cannot get into. I do miss having a seat though

I've been on a mobile hunting journey the last few years. Back in high school over 20 years ago my dad bought the two of us API Grandslam climbers. They were a bear to carry around but they were comfortable and we shot a bunch of deer out of them. A few years ago I bought a saddle with hawk helium sticks and all kinds of gadgets. I thought the saddle was actually pretty comfortable and I felt super safe being attached to ropes at all times. But I really didn't like setting up the sticks. I guess I'm just slow at it, and the sticks I had were heavy and didn't pack down well. I know there's a lot better options out there now. Also I got tired of all the ropes and carabiners, and auto blocks, and prussic, and all the crap that gets tangled up or lost or whatever. I've also used climbing spurs to get rid of toting the sticks but I never felt quiet as safe doing that. Gaffing out is no fun. I hunted out of a lock on last year but it wasn't as comfortable as the saddle. Now I'm back to a climbing stand. I hunt in Alabama and we have nice straight trees everywhere. I was always thinking man if I had a climbing stand I could just attach to the tree and climb right up. It took me forever to get set up with sticks and a saddle or lock on. I ended up getting an XOP climbing stand. It weighs 18lbs and packs down to a pretty slim profile compared to a API or a Summit. It's been working ok but there are definitely some things I don't care for with this stand. If the new Lone Wolf stand turns out to be pretty awesome I may sale all the stands and climbing stuff I have and buy it. Although I shot one deer out of a pine tree last year that only a lock on would have worked on. It's nice to have options. I bought a TX5 tree stand hauling pack this summer and hooked it up to my climber. It's a game changer for carrying the climbing stand with. If there was a super nice climber in the 12-15lb rand with one of those packs you would be golden.

Nockemdwn

FNG
I’ve always used an old school ol’ man climber. Never once had it shift or slip and went 20 - 30 feet

I did lose the bottom platform ONCE ! Thank god it had the tether on it ! That was when I was going up. I was probably 15 feet up when it happened.

Yoder

WKR
If you want to spend around $1000 for sticks and a lock on stand, you could get a Beast stand or a LWCG setup. Those are about as light as you can get. Anything reasonably priced is around 12lbs, add sticks an you up around 20 lbs. My LW sit and climb is 22lbs. Most "mobile" setups really don't save you much compared to a climber. The lightest way to go is a saddle with high quality sticks. I either use my sit and climb or a LW Alpha lock on with three Hawk Helium climbing sticks and an aider. The climber is way quicker and easier to setup but the sticks allow you to sit in a wider variety of trees.

knale87

Lil-Rokslider
Hunted with a summit open shot for a long time. Switched to a saddle set up 5ish years ago and never once wished I had a climber or a hang on.

LostArra

WKR
My LW hand climber packs down pretty small and is easy to carry with just shoulder straps.
Yes, you need the right tree but I only take it when I know there are good tree possibilities.
It's faster than sticks and lock-on for me.
It's not the most comfortable seat for long sits but I use a bungee on the seat so I can fold it up and just stand or lean back in my rock climbing harness.

Rich M

WKR
I have an aluminum Summit - supposedly weighs 18#. You are gonna have trouble getting into much anything else that weighs significantly less. An 8# lock-on and 4 - 1# sticks is 12# and will set you back close to a grand.

You can put shoulder straps onto your stand. I'm 50-something and lug my Summit Climber a mile or more many hunt days. Wear it like a back pack and go shoot you a deer.

Macintosh

WKR
Yep. My novix lighter weight stand (helo? Whichever their smaller one is) was $200 when I bought it and weighs 9lb. My carbon fiber sticks are 1lb each, so youre at 13lb already, and at this point up over $800 or $900. Beast stand is like 6lb so you cut 3lb off, but youre still 10lb+ and you’re well over $1000.
Any old saddle and mediocre sticks and youre not much more than half the price, tops…but youre also only a bit over half the weight, too.
You want light, one of the one-sticks with an integrated platform and use one-stick climbing, and youre at about 3.5-4lb or so and even less $. Thats where the flat brim, the creedmoor and the “hey, I do crossfit” personality kicks in though!

Last edited: