Closing the distance (Archery)

I used to freeze when a mule deer had me pinned. Now if I am in range, I range, draw back and release. A lot of times we have more time than we think we do and can get away with more than we think we can. I’ve seen the opposite happen too where they bolt with the slightest movement. I’d rather get busted drawing my bow than getting busted with my dick in my hand 🏹🏹🏹

My experience with elk:

If they won’t come any closer, I’ll knock an arrow, latch up my release, and start stomping right at em, all the while mewing like a lost cow.

You better have your head on a swivel, be a good judge of distance, and be able to draw on a moment’s notice.
Those bulls will stand their ground longer than you think

Stay in shadows (NEVER STEP INTO THE SUNLIGHT IF YOU CAN HELP IT).
Keep wind in your face.
Go slow then, go slower.
Wear bears feet on bottom of boots.
Interesting on the bear feet, I prefer to hunt in trail runners as they seem much quieter, but it was too cold for that this last go round.

I don;t believe asking what percentage of stalks end with a kill is the right question. If I stalk within my effective range whether I shoot or not is a successful stalk. I would try focusing on successful stalks and not worrying about kills as the measure of success.

I like this. I get to watch the deer run away and keep hunting. Everyone wins.

Something that has helped me a lot is spot and stalk on whitetail does. Those critters are always"switched" on. Sometimes it will take me an hour to move 60 yards in,take one small step and wait and look and listen,then one more step. Rinse and repeat.

Another vote here for the pause and/or stop process. Too many people are hung up on the celebrity hunting on TV where they're always chasing bugles, chasing this one, chasing that one. Depending on the circumstance and, in my experience, more often than not, if you put yourself in their area, your movement needs to almost stop. You might be following a bugle but, there may be an opportunity missed by that silent one you're not paying attention to. Find where the elk are and then slow down. Use your calling and (mainly cow calls) see how things play out without just blasting through the underbrush. All but a handful of encounters for me annually are with bulls that come in totally silent. Even if I'm calling another one that's to one side. Just a suggestion. YMMV.

Back