CO 2014 Non Resident fee increase?

Roy68

WKR
Guys I hunt with in Colorado said their local paper had an article on Non-Resident big game fees possibly increasing. Apparently the DOW commission is reviewing or has voted on this at the Lamar meeting recently. I was able to find this link and as I read it appears that it is a done deal. Anyone else hear of this or have more information? In the end it doesn't matter as I will still apply, just have to increase my hunting debt ceiling.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteCol...2013/Nov/ITEM10-ChW-2-BigGameCPIandChW-15.pdf

dotman

WKR
There is an annual increase every year, I believe when they put the current structure in place they had language that allowed an annual tag increase due to the commissions discretion. If you have been hunting in CO for awhile you would notice it has gone up every year for awhile.

Something I did notice that they bumped the antlerless tag $100 this coming year.

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
Here is what the annual increase is based off.

Basis and Purpose:
H.B. 00-1448, which was passed into law in May 2000, provided for the annual adjustment of nonresident
big game license fees based on the Consumer Price Index (CPI): "The nonresident big game fees
described in subsection(1.4) of this section shall annually be adjusted in accordance with changes in the
United States Bureau of Labor Statistics Consumer Price Index for the Denver-Boulder consolidated
metropolitan statistical area for all urban consumers, all goods, or its successor index." §33-4-102 (1.6)(b)
C.R.S. Consumer Price Indices for the Denver-Boulder metropolitan statistical area are compiled by the
United States Bureau of Labor Statistics. The chart below shows the average CPI for the first half of each
year.
Consumer Price Index - All Urban Consumers
Denver-Boulder-Greeley Metropolitan Area
First Half, 2000 171.40
First Half, 2001
Annual Percentage Change
5.4%
First Half, 2002
Annual Percentage Change
2.2%
First Half, 2003
Annual Percentage Change
1.7%
First Half, 2004
Annual Percentage Change
-0.7%
First Half, 2005
Annual Percentage Change
1.4%
First Half, 2006
Annual Percentage Change
3.8%
First Half, 2007
Annual Percentage Change
2.5%
First Half, 2008
Annual Percentage Change
3.7%
First Half, 2009
Annual Percentage Change
-0.6%
First Half, 2010
Annual Percentage Change
1.7%
First Half, 2011
Annual Percentage Change
3.8%
First Half, 2012
Annual Percentage Change
1.8%
First Half, 2013
Annual Percentage Change
2.8%
Cumulative Percentage Change (Rounded) 33.7%
Source: U.S. Dept of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics
A lesser reduction has been applied to non-resident antlerless elk licenses under statutory authority
granted in 33-4-102 (1.6) C.R.S. These licenses have historically been reduced to encourage nonresident
participation in hunting of these species in order to help meet population objectives. Between
the 2002 and 2010 big game seasons, the Commission reduced the price of a nonresident antlerless elk
license from the statutory maximum to $250. The discount was created to encourage the harvest of
antlerless elk because at that time in many areas throughout the state elk populations exceeded

OP
R

Roy68

WKR
Dotman, I was aware of the small increases in the past, as I have paid them every year. I was just surprised by $100 jump for NR cow tags. I'm a meat hunter and rifle only as far as elk are concerned for the time being. Being on a budget also has caused me to pass on the bull tags in the past as well.

The language that they use (summarized) "...the licenses have historically been reduced to encourage nonresident participation...". I don't think the quotas have changed, that's set every 5 years correct, and not up for change for a couple more I believe. So it seems that a $100 jump could be perceived as a discouragement by some NR hunters. I for one will still be applying as an NR. Like I said I just found it interesting.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Radical changes in NR fees are never a good thing, and often that is how states end up never meeting quotas. If I have my history correct, Idaho and Montana made some drastic changes in their pricing and now there are OTC licenses left. In the past they used to sell out in the draw.

We fought hard last year in Wyoming to stop that kind of price increase. Sadly NR Hunters fund a large portion of Wyoming's Game and Fish budget. I really don't want to do that fight again this winter but I imagine we will be.

dotman

WKR
Dotman, I was aware of the small increases in the past, as I have paid them every year. I was just surprised by $100 jump for NR cow tags. I'm a meat hunter and rifle only as far as elk are concerned for the time being. Being on a budget also has caused me to pass on the bull tags in the past as well.

The language that they use (summarized) "...the licenses have historically been reduced to encourage nonresident participation...". I don't think the quotas have changed, that's set every 5 years correct, and not up for change for a couple more I believe. So it seems that a $100 jump could be perceived as a discouragement by some NR hunters. I for one will still be applying as an NR. Like I said I just found it interesting.

Yeah I bet they do away with the discount they have given for awhile, probably figure the NR's that only bought cow tags will still buy them at full price or just an either sex tag. Or I wonder if the herd stats are way off and this is a nondescrete way of trying to reduce the cow tags till they can change the quotas. It is an interesting move considering they didn't touch the other discounted tag prices.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yeah I bet they do away with the discount they have given for awhile, probably figure the NR's that only bought cow tags will still buy them at full price or just an either sex tag. Or I wonder if the herd stats are way off and this is a nondescrete way of trying to reduce the cow tags till they can change the quotas. It is an interesting move considering they didn't touch the other discounted tag prices.

Very good chance of it. They adjusted season dates here, made them shorter, in areas where success was very high last season. More than one way to adjust things.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Another piece could be that people with either sex tags didn't hold out for bulls like in years past.

What is the logic in adjusting quotas every 5 years?

Lukem

WKR
Another piece could be that people with either sex tags didn't hold out for bulls like in years past.

What is the logic in adjusting quotas every 5 years?
Causes for very close examination each time it's done and doesn't allow for changes to be made simply with the blowing of the wind. Decreases the constant up and down dependent on "political" pressure. I'm sure there are other reasons too.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Causes for very close examination each time it's done and doesn't allow for changes to be made simply with the blowing of the wind. Decreases the constant up and down dependent on "political" pressure. I'm sure there are other reasons too.

I am a fan of less political pressure....

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If you remember, when NR elk tags went up the most to around $500, there was no price difference for bulls or cows. Then they lowered the cow tag to $350 to encourage more NR hunters to apply. So I guess they see $450 as doable as well. Don't know their reasons. However, I do know that the statewide herd objective is close to what they want, so they've reduced the number of cow tags available overall. You know they still want their money...........so less tags means more expensive tags.

OP
R

Roy68

WKR
I always assumed the 5 year quota adjustments were done to manage each unit in specific manner regarding herd populations, species sex ratios, etc. And that trying to comprehend those numbers every year and to adjust those via hunters on a yearly basis would not be feasible so they use a 5 year plan. It sure seems plausible that prices could be used to short circuit the quota plan.

They just want to hold more of my money for the draw.

X2

I for one am real close to giving up on out of state hunting even though the hunting sucks where I live. Things start to loose their intrensic value when you start feeling like you're being taken advantage of. Sreekers nailed it, significant fee increases decreases applications.