CO - Confirmed Public Land Ptarmigan Populations in El Paso/Teller County?

RgrLW2012

FNG
I'm not asking anybody to give up their secret spot. The resources I've found depicting White-tailed Ptarmigan distribution in Colorado seem to be all over the board. Most are conservation focused, and I assume they are in many cases showing suitable habitat vs. hunt-able populations of birds. Some of them show distribution in western El Paso/eastern Teller counties vic. Woodland Park/Pike National Forest. Has anyone on the board hunted Ptarmigan successfully on any of the public lands in this area? The time investment to hike into these areas and attempt to confirm whether an opportunity actually exists is pretty prohibitive. Thank you!

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
I've seen them in the Pike NF in Park county but never in any sort of concentration that would make me think it would be worth the effort to hike around exclusively hunting them. Would rather go chase grouse.

Try White River near the ski mountains. Hike as high as you can and bring your Bino's. Connected on a few this year.

I will say they are more of a did it once hunt - they would flush 10 feet and land. Took about 6 flushes from the dogs for them to bomb down the hill for a sporting shot.