CO unit 65 questions.

crmiller84

Lil-Rokslider
So I've done a lot of research short of calling DOW so far, and if their info pans out I'll be heading to Colorado next September for my first backpack archery elk hunt. Of course, I'm not looking for anyone's spot or anything like that, just wanting some info on water, pressure, etc. I'm from Indiana, and with current work situations there is no way I will make it out there to do any boots-on-the-ground scouting. Sucks, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

So, I've intentionally left out the area I'm planning because I don't quite know the proper way to go about this. If it's acceptable to post it openly, let me know, otherwise, if you've hunted there and don't mind helping out an FNG, any help is greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah, I have already started my training. I can tell this area is steep, and I'm not going to let the one thing I have control over (conditioning) hamper my small odds of success :D

Felix40

WKR
There is a considerable amount of water available across most of the unit. You should be able to see it on google earth. There is plenty and I would even say too much some years. There is also a considerable amount of pressure across most of the unit.

Jarhead

FNG
I've hunted the wilderness area (uncompahgre) in 65 the last 10 years, with the occasional year off. The pressure there has increased exponentially in that time. The first 2-3 years I was there I didn't see another hunter. Last year there were roughly a dozen hunters basing out of the same trailhead I normally use for access. In fact, the pressure is such that each year we hunt closer and closer to the road because everyone seems to want to go as deep as possible. Takes a lot away from the experience bumping into another hunter a few times a day.

OP
C

crmiller84

Lil-Rokslider
Good to know on the water, and I kinda expected the pressure would be heavy. Sucks, but what can you do? I was hoping the steepness of it would push people another direction, but it seems that is not the case.

Dromsky

Lil-Rokslider
Not to thread jack, but how's the road acess around silverjack in late October. Main roads plowed frequently?

MesaHorseCo.

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Good to know on the water, and I kinda expected the pressure would be heavy. Sucks, but what can you do? I was hoping the steepness of it would push people another direction, but it seems that is not the case.

It does, if you go to the steep parts ;)

MesaHorseCo.

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Not to thread jack, but how's the road acess around silverjack in late October. Main roads plowed frequently?

Depends. And not really. sometimes a ton of snow, sometimes not. Bring chains. thats a nice road though.

rcairney

FNG
I'm actually looking at this unit, or surrounding units as well... is your comment based off of something particular, do you suggest any of the surrounding units? 70? 74? Picking out a unit to go to seems to be the hardest damn part of this, but I guess if someone from out west wanted to come down south to hunt gators, they would be as clueless as me hunting elk.

Thomas11

WKR
I'm actually looking at this unit, or surrounding units as well... is your comment based off of something particular, do you suggest any of the surrounding units? 70? 74? Picking out a unit to go to seems to be the hardest damn part of this, but I guess if someone from out west wanted to come down south to hunt gators, they would be as clueless as me hunting elk.
I think you have a decent unit picked out. Honestly u just gotta go give it a try! I always try and dissect units and they all have advantages and disadvantages but this is a unit I’ve considered as well. Not a terrible choice in my opinion