Coating the feet of Wiggys waders?

mcseal2

WKR
One of the guys hunting with me this year said he saw somewhere that people had coated the feet of their Wiggy’s waders with something that looked like bedliner for added durability. Anyone tried anything like that? Thanks.

Voyageur

WKR
About three years ago I had that idea and tried it with a pair of mine that had a small leak so I figured any damage could be tolerated. Anyway the "coating" I added to the tread reacted with what was already there and completely ruined the waders. Totally my fault and greater care in choosing a coating agent would have produced better results.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
What did you try so we don’t make the same mistake? Thanks.

Voyageur

WKR
I tried coating the tread with Plasti-dip. Reacted with the tread and made it a gunky mess. Total fail.

I tried to do it. Ruined them. Wouldn’t waste my time trying to do it again unless it was a spray product and I knew it would work with 100% certainty. Wiggy’s are the worst piece of equipment I own in terms of toughness and reliability, but there isn’t anything else out there just like them. I consider them disposable after one hunt. Some day a guy is going to figure out a way to make the same design using sturdier materials and charging over twice what Wiggy’s does. That guy is going to sell a bunch of those waders.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
I tried to do it. Ruined them. Wouldn’t waste my time trying to do it again unless it was a spray product and I knew it would work with 100% certainty. Wiggy’s are the worst piece of equipment I own in terms of toughness and reliability, but there isn’t anything else out there just like them. I consider them disposable after one hunt. Some day a guy is going to figure out a way to make the same design using sturdier materials and charging over twice what Wiggy’s does. That guy is going to sell a bunch of those waders.

I agree. I wish the Neos River Trekkers were still available, I’d have bought those. Our transporter said the Wiggys should be sufficient for our hunt. I’ll be wearing Crispi Hiland Pro boots that are similar to the Cabelas ones you use Kevin but far uglier and more expensive. I’m fine with both of those drawbacks if it lets me have knee high waterproofness and ankle support. The Wiggys will be a light supplement to those for deeper water.

I plan to call my transporter mid-week and make sure that a stouter wader isn’t needed. I have Simms G3 boots and Chota tundra hippies if I need something better than Wiggys. I’d prefer not to be hiking in them if I can avoid it though. They are not bad to hike in, but not as good as a real hiking boot.

We fly out a week from Tuesday, getting close!

In my opinion the NEOS River Trekkers were not well suited To Super Cubs and backpacking. A pair of them weighed nearly 3.5 pounds. They were fairly slow to put on and bulky to carry. I took mine to Alaska just once and then they saw no further use. I need something that packs small and carries light.

I’m just almost dumbfounded that one of the Rokslide custom gurus hasn’t spotted this business opportunity and jumped on it. For that matter Kifaru, First Lite, Seek Outside or other larger players could make these and do a far better job than Wiggy’s.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
I did not realize they were that heavy, thats a substantial amount of weight.

I agree, I hope somebody decides to build upgraded Wiggys. i’d buy a pair.

the things are not supposed to replace wading pants or hip boots. They are a quick alternative to cross creeks and rivers with out stripping down. They work great for what they are. if you think you will be wearing them more then just crossing a river a few times your better off just bringing wading pants and good solid boots you can hike in.

Afhunter1

WKR
Why couldn’t you use a felt sole from a wader and rig up a simple elastic attachment that will hold during crossing. With enough elastic it would hold and prob be light and durable. And less messy than some paint on coating

Unless the water & weather is really frigid and long, I usually strip my boots and pants off and walk across in Crocs. Not in snowy conditions though. So if ya ever see a big, half naked guy emerge from the water sporting a frightened turtle...then you know where Bruce is.

Beendare

WKR
I coated mine with shoe goo and added a strap to suck them tight.....works great.

I put my shoe inside and then coated them on the bottom and a couple inches up the side...once dry, its a custom fit...

The negative is it adds 4-5 oz and they don't roll up nice and tight like without.

___

Last edited:

Voyageur

WKR
Unless the water & weather is really frigid and long, I usually strip my boots and pants off and walk across in Crocs. Not in snowy conditions though. So if ya ever see a big, half naked guy emerge from the water sporting a frightened turtle...then you know where Bruce is.
Bruce, do you find you need to put your Crocs in 4WD or is 2WD sufficient? 😀