Cold Bow 2024.... QnA Thread

nphunter

WKR
Aren’t Sevrs the only expandables that lock like that?

I've heard of guys supergluing the blades closed on rages to practice with them, I'm sure it would work on a dead meat as well. A little soak in acetone and they would be as good as new. One thing for sure is you don't want to shoot a dead meat into a target, I did it one time and it took a lot of foam with it while pulling it out.

Rages, Evolution, Sptifire, and a ton of other mechanicals easily pull from targets without destroying them so there isn't a need to glue them closed other than to save from bending blades or destroying targets.

Yeah that's a big change for sure. Reducing the number of days will be interesting too, wasn't the original general premise behind this whole thing that effective range goes down as you start to stack days without practice? I don't recall the general trend from everyone last year, but my miss was day 4

dirtshooter

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be interested to see if the 100 people fill it since it is broad heads only.
Don't people practice with their broadheads? I am a newer archer and shoot VPA 3 blades (easy to sharpen) but I practice with them so that I know what to expect when I let an arrow fly. I just buy the cheap broadhead targets and if they get worn out I swap em.

sndmn11

WKR
Don't people practice with their broadheads? I am a newer archer and shoot VPA 3 blades (easy to sharpen) but I practice with them so that I know what to expect when I let an arrow fly. I just buy the cheap broadhead targets and if they get worn out I swap em.

Yes and no.

The archery club we belong to has a few couple hour long sessions in the spring and a handful in the fall where "supervised" broadhead shooting is allowed. We can go to the gun club anytime and that's about 3hrs round trip.

We shoot them as much as we are able, but being in Denver-metro we can't just jump in the backyard.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah that's a big change for sure. Reducing the number of days will be interesting too, wasn't the original general premise behind this whole thing that effective range goes down as you start to stack days without practice? I don't recall the general trend from everyone last year, but my miss was day 4
yes, but we also have limited manpower to run these and a tremendous amount of time goes into making sure members are following rules. Dropping it to 3 just makes it easier on us, but yes, doesn't show the decline of additional days of not shooting like 5 did. It was either this or drop the challenge completely.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Don't people practice with their broadheads?
that's what were aiming for.

I've never ever ever even once regretted starting my shooting year off with broadheads. (@les welch pushed me to start with BHs and he's right)

I used to think i was this great shot practicing with FPs all summer.

Expandables have helped the cause...but I was getting pretty good with fix blades too. *pretty good = relative to me

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Yes and no.

The archery club we belong to has a few couple hour long sessions in the spring and a handful in the fall where "supervised" broadhead shooting is allowed. We can go to the gun club anytime and that's about 3hrs round trip.

We shoot them as much as we are able, but being in Denver-metro we can't just jump in the backyard.
we understand that's hard.

but like I've answered the PMs I've received "at some point, gotta shoot a BH if you're hunting"

sndmn11

WKR
we understand that's hard.

but like I've answered the PMs I've received "at some point, gotta shoot a BH if you're hunting"

They haven't put broadhead days on the calendar yet, so there's a chance it might work out. I just moved things around on our bows to go from indoor target shafts to hunting shafts anticipating having broadhead tuning time soon.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
They haven't put broadhead days on the calendar yet, so there's a chance it might work out. I just moved things around on our bows to go from indoor target shafts to hunting shafts anticipating having broadhead tuning time soon.
serious archer ^