Coldest temp in Tipi

3pointer

Lil-Rokslider
What is the coldest anyone has tolerated in a seek tipi or tent with a packable wood stove , what exactly were u using , just trying to figure if it’s safe to be packed in wen it’s around degrees, thanks in advance

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hot tents are really only warm while your awake your sleep system is still going to dictate what temps your be comfortable at night.

Basically you warm up tent when get up and get dressed then go hunting when you finish for the evening you can run it for awhile to dry your gear out then load it full of wood and go to bed before it burns itself out. Those stoves don't have long burn times even with a damper so you'll need to feed it all night if you want to try keep it burning all night.

Last edited:

jolemons

WKR
Hot tents are really only warm while your awake your sleep system is still going to dictate what temps your be comfortable at night.

Basically you warm up tent when get up and get dressed then go hunting when you finish for the evening you can run it for awhile to dry your gear out then load it full of wood and go to bed before it burns itself out. Those stoves don't have long burn times even with a damper so you'll need to feed it all night if you want to try keep it burning all night.
This. Mountaineers don't use tipis and stoves, they have good sleep systems.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Tsnider

WKR
I have slept on top of snow a few times. About 3 inches of snow under my ground sheet. Sleeping bag/quilt of proper temp and you’ll be fine.

mcseal2

WKR
Slept comfortable at 0 in a Seek 8 man with stove and a Kifaru 20 degree slick bag. I had some layers on in the bag that trip. Stove works like others describe, only when awake and feeding it. I like to let it go out at night and build a stick fire for morning that will burn hot but not for long. In the morning i light the prearranged sticks and tinder from my bag and get out 10-15 minutes later.

reaper

WKR
-20°C was the coldest(-4F)with high humidity in Québec,Canada,was a killer for the bones...you need good sleeping bags and a lot of wood prep.

Envoyé de mon Pixel 2 en utilisant Tapatalk

JG358

WKR
Like other said, its more about your sleep system than the tipi/stove. I dont know anyone that keeps a backpacking stove stoked all night. Theyre nice for warming up and/or drying stuff out but you cant load them up and count on long term heat especially with crappy mountain fuel (spruce,aspen).

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I know some have went to -50 on a ski trip through Alogonquin Provincial Park, I also know Dave and Amy Freeman on their year in the wilderness had some -30F lows.

I have done testing in -25F , but have only spent the night in -10F .

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I hit zero degrees a few times this year. We gotter super hot to dry stuff.

The sleep system is key!

f91f66af1e20c7d082fdbceec0433d7d.jpeg
110041ed2a8481d71dcf37d6a2648b32.jpg

keepriding

Lil-Rokslider
I was burning wood scraps from my house in the stove...so the results may be a little slower with wood that's a little more moist....but i bet there would be no problem at all. I've had some nice hot fires with both eastern hard wood and western pine and spruce gathered from the forest. i've just never been out in a real bone chilling cold...so the test!

Lawnboi

WKR
I haven’t made it below zero but have hit single digits, without wind chill now multiple times.

Getting the stove cranking makes it t shirt weather inside, but that downy last long when you let it die, or lay on the ground.

KurtR

WKR
0 a week ago in Idaho that little stove is key to wanting to get out of the fart sack in the morning