Colorado GMU 181/18 update?

Seeing if anyone can share any updates on unit 181/18? I know it got scorched pretty bad a few years back but can't seem to find anything if its remotely recovered since. The last conversations I could find were from 2022. Not looking for spots or anything so keep those comments at bay, just a status update on the unit.

squirrel

WKR
Was scorched, is scorched, and many long run conditions have changed such as roads that no longer are roads and trails that aren't trails anymore. The good news is you can walk about anywhere due to the beetle kill is gone, that bad news is there is not much reason to want to walk there.

Let's hope everything green's up and grows back. I hunted there 1x before and would definitely like to go back.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
G
Sad sad.. I know people get touchy about mentioning specific units so I appreciate the responses. Hopefully in the next couple years this area can start some new growth and recover.

cnelk

WKR
In the summer Hwy 125 from Granby to Rand gets closed every time it rains due to mudslides.

OP
G
Seeing what they did for Wisconsin first hand I can tell you that you have a lot to look forward to...... it is beyond me how this is still happening. The liberals in the cities think it's great but they also don't have to live with them or deal with their problems. Anyone that runs dogs will surely love them.

SoDakGuy

Lil-Rokslider
Hoping it greens back up around there soon. I'll be visiting family there this summer and get to take a peek then.

Never understood the draw to those units. a lot of new R hunters find themselves there for whatever reason. I’ve been in some nasty areas in there for orher species and elk are always scarce and in pockets.

Gerbdog

WKR
Never understood the draw to those units. a lot of new R hunters find themselves there for whatever reason. I’ve been in some nasty areas in there for orher species and elk are always scarce and in pockets.
I ended up there as a new resident back in the day as you said.... exact experience i had. Lots of other species but not many elk

peaches

Lil-Rokslider
I had many successful backpacking hunts there. I drove up last October and about wanted to cry. Moonscape with charred skeletons of trees. I saw no sign of regrowth, yet there were trailers and horse tracks where hunters were giving it a go at a trailhead....no idea how a rabbit could find cover, let alone an elk.

Yeah, it's a moonscape because it burned so hot in places, the fire sterilized the soil and there's nothing for things to grow.

Divide93

FNG
I lived there for 25 years. Worked in the basin for many years. My old concrete boss sent me some photos from last year. It makes me sad to look at them!

peaches

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, it's a moonscape because it burned so hot in places, the fire sterilized the soil and there's nothing for things to grow.
This makes sense. I thought there would be some growth but I saw nothing. Used to hunt Troublesome Creek and it will be decades before it recovers.

I spent the night in Winter Park a talked with the girl at the Best Western about it. It must have terrifying yet striking to see the fire coming that way.

We hunted 18 for first rifle last year and everything mentioned above is our experience.

1. It's close to Denver, so it gets pounded by OTC archery hunters. I've hunted first season in several other units and still heard screaming bulls. The pressure there is so bad that the elk never made a sound.
2. The vast majority of the unit is burned, so it pushes the crowd to anything that still has dark timber. We did find elk on the Thursday and kept an eye on them. By Friday evening, there were 40 other hunters all looking at the same group. It got almost laughable and we said "These are the most popular elk in the county."
3. There are a lot of roads that can help some hunters, but when you get off the road, it's much steeper than you would think. With the burn you can get high and see a lot of country, but unfortunately we saw more moose, deer and bears than elk. Several in our group didn't see or hear and elk for the entire 5 days.

fishslap

WKR
We hunted 18 for first rifle last year and everything mentioned above is our experience.

1. It's close to Denver, so it gets pounded by OTC archery hunters. I've hunted first season in several other units and still heard screaming bulls. The pressure there is so bad that the elk never made a sound.
2. The vast majority of the unit is burned, so it pushes the crowd to anything that still has dark timber. We did find elk on the Thursday and kept an eye on them. By Friday evening, there were 40 other hunters all looking at the same group. It got almost laughable and we said "These are the most popular elk in the county."
3. There are a lot of roads that can help some hunters, but when you get off the road, it's much steeper than you would think. With the burn you can get high and see a lot of country, but unfortunately we saw more moose, deer and bears than elk. Several in our group didn't see or hear and elk for the entire 5 days.
How many people in your group?