Colorado GMU 181/18 update?

Seven(ish). Three experienced elk hunters and four first timers. We expanded the group and chose Unit 18 for tag availability and the amount of roads. One of the guys was looking to ride the ranger around maybe a little more than looking for elk.

We did run into one group of guys that kinda ruined the experience. We got there on Thursday morning and started scouting. Noted one road of interest had the gate open. Another group showed up Friday morning and set up camp next to the gate and parked all nine of their truck in front of the gate while closing it. It was the only road up the mountain and they essentially claimed the entire mountain section by doing so. Not sure on the legality of it, but definitely frustrating.

Fortboy22

FNG
That's a shame... in the early 2000's, it was still a pretty decent place to elk hunt, even though it was already starting to get busy. I killed my first archery bull in 18 and a couple more soon after. I hope the area returns to health, like many burn areas generally do. The overcrowding though is another issue. If CPW decides this spring to limit all seasons for res and non-res hunters, it may create some allocation standards that help on that front also.

fishslap

WKR
Seven(ish). Three experienced elk hunters and four first timers. We expanded the group and chose Unit 18 for tag availability and the amount of roads. One of the guys was looking to ride the ranger around maybe a little more than looking for elk.

We did run into one group of guys that kinda ruined the experience. We got there on Thursday morning and started scouting. Noted one road of interest had the gate open. Another group showed up Friday morning and set up camp next to the gate and parked all nine of their truck in front of the gate while closing it. It was the only road up the mountain and they essentially claimed the entire mountain section by doing so. Not sure on the legality of it, but definitely frustrating.

Nine trucks in one camp is wild. Who knows how many guys but one would assume 18 or more. You had seven in your camp with one guy riding roads. You have to take that all into consideration on hunt quality in a unit. I have a unit I’ve killed quite a few bulls in but it’s low on my list now due to the large groups that hunt it.