Colorado OHV permit

KsRancher

WKR
I called in today to get an OHV permit for my 4 wheeler. From reading I was assuming I would need all the info about it. VIN, make model and year. All I got asked was the make. The system is down and will be down for quite some time I was told. So no stickers would be mailed until after December sometime. But was told that all I needed was my confirmation number from my purchase. I just don't want to get myself into trouble with not having the right permit. I am taking it out for 4th season elk.

Is that all I need to be legal to drive my 4 wheeler on BLM and NF in Colorado?

Bluefish

WKR
Out of state the permit is easier than in state. You can pick them up at most motorcycle shops. Just ask for an out of state ohv permit. They might take down your name, hand them $25.25 and they will give you a sticker.
if you do it online you can print your receipt and it should cover you for 30-45 days. Fwiw I hated what they send for an online order, was just like a hunting license and you have to attach it to the ohv. The stickers they sell in state are nice sticker that are easy to affix. Btw jeeps need them too if on trails.
in state the ohv permit is effectively registration and they will want all your info.

OP
KsRancher

KsRancher

WKR
Ok. Thank you. I must have been looking at the in-state permit.

Yeah we just grab ours at Walmart when we get out there. They only ask for the make and just print it out right there for you.

def90

WKR
I called in today to get an OHV permit for my 4 wheeler. From reading I was assuming I would need all the info about it. VIN, make model and year. All I got asked was the make. The system is down and will be down for quite some time I was told. So no stickers would be mailed until after December sometime. But was told that all I needed was my confirmation number from my purchase. I just don't want to get myself into trouble with not having the right permit. I am taking it out for 4th season elk.

Is that all I need to be legal to drive my 4 wheeler on BLM and NF in Colorado?

Yes, that's all you need for driving on forest service roads. You can also buy permits in person at most motorcycle dealers.

Translation. If you were thinking they require the Out of state OHV permit to ensure that all the vehicles are safe for riders, emissions approved, OSHA approved, meet certain dimensions or specs, or anything like that, you are mistaken. All they want is the MONEY

Bluefish

WKR
Translation. If you were thinking they require the Out of state OHV permit to ensure that all the vehicles are safe for riders, emissions approved, OSHA approved, meet certain dimensions or specs, or anything like that, you are mistaken. All they want is the MONEY
This was vary obvious when they started to require them for licensed vehicles. Used to be you just had to be registered somewhere, so a plated vehicle was considered registered. Then everyone had to have a permit from Colorado even if you had plates. Even in state plated vehicles have to buy stickers now. Have had them checked on the trails. Even had a ranger park on the side of a trail one time to check stickers. Down side of this was shortly after Colorado implemented this, Utah dropped reporocity and now you have to buy a Utah sticker as well.
only good thing is part of the fee goes to search and rescue, so you are covered for that cost if it’s needed. Although as a hunter, you pay into it as well with your license.

def90

WKR
Yes, the money goes directly to maintaining existing ohv trails and opening new ones.