Colorado Unit 23

Hi all I have access to a smaller ranch (2000 acres) in this unit and curious if anyone has ever hunted here? The ranch is on the far west side of the unit very near the western boundary. Is it worth dedicating my 2020 CO season to the ranch? What kind of deer might one realistically find?

Dvidos

Lil-Rokslider
Can you ask the ranch owner? They’ll know the land better than most.
+1
BB.jpg

OP
T
I have the connection through a friend and am looking into what info is available from that route. If anyone out there has experience in the area let me know! PM if you prefer.

Stalker69

WKR
Could be, I grew up hunting units 23 and 24 with my family. I have not been back regularly for a long time now. We usually did ok to good as far as getting our animals ( both deer and elk, we hunted it rifle, black powder and archery over the years) We never were after nor killed any thing we would consider a trophy if that’s what your after. But it could be different now days. If your after an animal, and want meat I would for sure say yes it would be worth it, if your after trophy antlers it way work out for you but I wouldn’t bet it. If I had access to private land in either unit, I would for sure go. It should be better then the public areas we hunted. If you like to fish, the white river has good fishing, as does Avery lake. Does it require points to get a lic. now days in unit 23 ? If so I can’t imagine more then one or two.

OP
T
Thank you Stalker very appreciated response! It doesn’t take a point which was what was appealing to me given where I hunt public takes a point and I wanted to get a point this year. Priority will be meat! Second to that I am interested to hear about horns for sure mostly because I don’t want to pass a decent 3 point on day one if that is a representative buck for the area. Thank you for everyone’s feedback so far!

wannabemtnman

Lil-Rokslider
I've hunted that area and there are a decent number of mule deer around, have seen some pictures of good bucks but I have never personally seen anything huge. Unit 22 is better known for mule deer hunting but it's CO and there's good bucks in almost every unit. 2000 acres of low pressure private sounds pretty enticing though, if you go during 2nd or 3rd season you might as well pick up an elk tag as well.

OP
T
Makes sense! Thanks for the info. If I draw I’m going to hunt it. If I don’t I am still gonna hunt but will only have an elk tag. I got to talk to someone who has spent time on the ranch and their take was elk was pretty darn good. There is deer on the ranch quality is the question mark. Fingers crossed for the draw! Good luck to all.