Colorado unit 76

280rem

FNG
Thinking to use my points this year on unit 76 archery or first rifle season and quit chasing hunts I’ll never draw. Just wondering if anyone has any insight in that unit regarding how the trails are for getting around, plan to bring my own horses. Also if anyone knows what the elk are usually doing October 12-16th there, I’m kinda of torn weather to apply for the archery hunt or that rifle season, leaning more towards archery for longer window of opportunity and better weather and more rut activity. Also hoping to not end up fighting a bunch of deadfall trying to get somewhere. Thank you for any insight you can share.

chindits

WKR
Haven’t been there recently, but when I was in that unit a lot I don’t recall any trail issues any different from any where else I hunt. I was there for one snow event in October. It was less than knee deep but I was amazed at the herd I was monitoring just left. All the tracks went down the mountain and there wasn’t a thing up high except for me. My area was all beetle kill.

TexasCub

WKR
Spent 3 days scouting in 76 last year with a guy that drew a tag for 1st rifle. Trying to find areas without deadfall will be tough. Beetle kill is rampant in 76. If I were hunting it I would line out a packer for sure. There are good trail systems in the Weminuche and they go way back in there but getting one out quickly will not be easy. Saw a gorgeous chocolate phase boar black bear, lots of moose and good numbers of deer too.

BuckSmasher

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted 76 back in 2013, the year of the fire. Called in a decent 6 point to the edge of a place that had just quit smoking.

I can tell you where all I hunted and saw elk if you PM me. I would love to go back. Landowner vouchers were a bargain that year. Fire didn't hurt the hunt at all.

Elktaco

Lil-Rokslider
I've been on 2 hunts in 76 and had a blast on both. Not a lot of really big bulls but definitely should have a good chance at a decent 6x6

Check out the Colorado Parks and Wildlife page. I'm from Colorado and I've heard theres some changes going on down there. Apparently elk numbers are plummeting in the area. Just a heads up

88man

FNG
I hunted it in 2015 and helped a buddy in 2016. I can share some info if you pm me.

OP
280rem

280rem

FNG
Check out the Colorado Parks and Wildlife page. I'm from Colorado and I've heard theres some changes going on down there. Apparently elk numbers are plummeting in the area. Just a heads up

I didn’t run across anything on the CPW website but I might be missing something there idk.

I didn’t run across anything on the CPW website but I might be missing something there idk.
Yea let me look it up and I'll post the link or send it over. That's what the word has been here in the state that it's not what it used to be.