Colorado Wolverines

I didn't read to in depth on the topic, but the question that I had is where does Colorado propose to obtain wolverines from? I believe wolverines have ESA protection in the lower 48. I guess Colorado could try to get some from Alaska.

I don't really understand the push back. What's the issue?
Having an endangered species on the landscape can make things very prohibitive for counties, agriculture, multi-use etc. For instance we have a major highway shutdown right now due to some cracks in a bridge and we’ve struggled to get a detour for locals in place on a nearby county road, partly because there’s some endangered Gunnison Sage Grouse range nearby, which has made it difficult and time intensive just to get permission to improve the existing county road. There’s easily been tens of thousands of state and federal tax dollars spent on filing paperwork and coordinating between govt agencies over this (and that’s an animal that doesn’t even get much media attention). It just makes things very complex and adds lots of arguably unnecessary red tape. The more ESA animals on the landscape, the more the federal govt. has say in what happens in that landscape and the more tax dollars get spent paying people to oversee all those animals and regularly review paperwork associated with them.

Personally my issue is that I don’t think it’s a very logical or sensible use for tax payer dollars. It will cost a few million to reintroduce them initially and then who knows how many more millions will be spent down the road maintaining and overseeing their ESA status.

Seems like a senseless thing to waste money on for the state. Mental health issues are sky rocketing in this state but I guess that's not as important as an ESA animal. I don't care if they reintroduce them but have whoever wants them reintroduced pay for their release and monitoring privately.

Not quite the same, but I deal with the USFS and USFWS at times with Grizzly bears, and bear management zones, access and accountability.

From a Sportsman's perspective....they generally limit access in many of these areas. Meaning limit vehicle and snowmobile access. You can walk or bike in behind locked gates into some extremely pristine and unfukt areas. In my mind, it's a huge benefit to a hunter.

I don't see wolverines putting a dent in game populations. GNP arguably has the highest concentrations in lower 48 and you're still dodging sheep and goats on Going to the Sun.

Guess I can understand some funding frustration. In reality, if there was an ES in an area and construction has been done, there was a NEPA survey at some point and/or an EIS. I think a lot of that money is downrange.

Not my state. Just asking.

I could get beyond angry at free gender assigning surgeries, being a Phat Phuck is now a "disease" that you can obtain assistance, all sorts of free handouts and "Stamps" yet nobody has to piss in a cup or show active attempts to gain employment, and it's a BENEFIT to have a complete litter of children....you get tax money BACK from the Govt, yet I don't have any so I am taxed to the Heaven's and punished for keeping the US population lower.

I wouldn't vote for my taxes to go toward any of that schitt.

They will be used as an excused to shut down public access, especially hunting, in areas where they are planted. The current regime is vehemently anti-hunting, under the guise of "wildlife managing wildlife."

Back