Combining Elk and Bear

Uttlc

FNG
Planning a September Archery Elk hunt, likely in GMU 81, and was thinking of trying to pull an OTC bear tag to go along with my OTC Elk tag. Anyone done this and have pointers or thoughts? I know first time elk odds are pretty low for a non-resident, how about chances on a bear?

I've held deer and elk tags simultaneously and it never works out. I always have it in my head that if I see a buck worth shooting, then I have the tag. They are different animals and are hunted very differently (to me anyway) so I struggle with focusing on staying in tune with one species. Case in point, we hunt bulls in the rut and do very little glassing to find them whereas we glass for hours trying to turn up a mule deer. Bear may be different, but just some thoughts on having two different species at once.

I've held deer and elk tags simultaneously and it never works out. I always have it in my head that if I see a buck worth shooting, then I have the tag. They are different animals and are hunted very differently (to me anyway) so I struggle with focusing on staying in tune with one species. Case in point, we hunt bulls in the rut and do very little glassing to find them whereas we glass for hours trying to turn up a mule deer. Bear may be different, but just some thoughts on having two different species at once.

That was one thing I was wondering about. Trying to focus on two different things like this tends to lead to not focusing on one well enough to get the job done right. I guess I was thinking if we come across a bear on accident, at least I'd have the tag to take it. Elk is the goal, anything else would just be gravy.

Bear is a glassing game and would be more compatible with glassing for deer or elk. Jmcd, you ever see bear on your rifle deer hunts? I see bear during the spring but not much in the fall.

Bear is a glassing game and would be more compatible with glassing for deer or elk. Jmcd, you ever see bear on your rifle deer hunts? I see bear during the spring but not much in the fall.

I have but it is rare. I don't really look for them or pay them much attention. Off the top of my head, I've spotted more bears with my bare eyes than I have behind glass.

That was one thing I was wondering about. Trying to focus on two different things like this tends to lead to not focusing on one well enough to get the job done right. I guess I was thinking if we come across a bear on accident, at least I'd have the tag to take it. Elk is the goal, anything else would just be gravy.

That is exactly how I feel about it, especially with a bow. Definitely doesn't hurt to have the tag, but being a local I should probably push you more towards a wolf tag than bear so you can potentially help our herds out by getting rid of a wolf or two if you were lucky enough to spot one.

That is exactly how I feel about it, especially with a bow. Definitely doesn't hurt to have the tag, but being a local I should probably push you more towards a wolf tag than bear so you can potentially help our herds out by getting rid of a wolf or two if you were lucky enough to spot one.

You had me thinking that I missed an opportunity for a second, but then realized you're talking Idaho, and I'm talking Colorado!

I was thinking Colorado as well, I'm non res so for the $100 in colorado, I'll grab a bear tag. If I can't afford the bear tag I don't need to be traveling 1300 miles to hunt period.

Me and my hunting partner were talking about this at the gym this morning. I will have an elk tag this year, he won't. Pair that will be going with us is the same way. I think if I shoot an elk the first day we'll go into town and get a bear license and head back out while the other pair keep chasing elk.

I say that but we'll probably just sit at a bar and wait for our buddies to hail us to come help pack out their bull haha

You had me thinking that I missed an opportunity for a second, but then realized you're talking Idaho, and I'm talking Colorado!
Oops my bad haha! Not sure why I thought you meant Idaho...I don't think we even have a unit 81 here haha!

I'd have a cat and wolf tag. I called in a SMOKER of a Tom last year during a calling sequence. Wolves were all around all the time.

For the most part I avoid purchasing other tags that run concurrent with archery elk. Just creating shot opportunities at elk is hard enough and time consuming (never mind the pack out) . Prefer not be sidetracked chasing deer or bear when I only have a short month to chase wapiti. PS, not too crazy about bear meat anyway.

Last edited:
Bear and elk habitat is usually two different areas in sept. They can become one with the harvest of an elk and hunting the carcass Bear food is usually low and elk r usually high. I can’t speak for Idaho but where I’ve been this is the case

I've bought quite a few bear tags over the years with the expectation of sitting over the elk carcass to shoot a bear. But as it always turns out........by the time I pack out my bull, I'm ready to get on home and sitting over a carcass just doesn't sound as appealing as it did when I bought the tag.

The areas I’ve hunted in Colorado the elk and bears are often overlapping. If I had been buying a bear tag every year that I hunted up there I would’ve killed at least two with my bow by now. I don’t think I’ve gone a single year without seeing at least one.

Where I hunt it makes sense to have both tags if you want both. I hunt elk first and foremost. When I kill an elk there is often still much hunting season, and someone in camp is still looking. I can go and watch over the gut pile and get a bear. I saw five different bears one morning come in to mine last September. Attached is a picture of one.

Attachments

• 060.JPG
    060.JPG
    262.1 KB · Views: 27
Depends on where I am hunting. Some areas I hunt have a lot of bears and I see them, not often, but often enough to want a tag. Others don't have a lot of bear so I don't bother.

One year in New Mexico, I saw 7 in a week. Two were among the largest fall bears I have ever seen. One big guy had a small bear treed and was pretty intent on eating it. The bawling from that little bear could be heard for 1/4 mile, and I went over to check it out. I circled so the big guy would wind me, he skeedaddled, and that little bear jumped out of the tree from about 20 feet up and ran right past me. I thought he was coming in for a high five, but he just kept going.

Of course I had no tag, or that big guy would have been mine. Easy stalk when his attention is solely on lunch.

Jeremy

Back