Compact Spotter

EricBender208

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to upgrade my binos and spotting scope this year before i get back to hunting in S. Idaho. Was thinking of getting some Vortex Razor 12x50s and I’m pretty set on them but I’m stuck on a spotting scope. I like the 13-39 Razor, or the 16-48 Razor. Looking for compact since I dreaded packing around my old full size Leupold. (Sticking to compact, will eventually upgrade to full size for less backpacking style hunts).

There's not a lot a compact spotter will do that a 12x50 on a tripod already does. 12x with both eyes vs 39x with one eye and through a small objective. I wouldn't bother brining the spotter unless I really needed it; and I did, it would be something of at least 65mm but probably larger.

If willing to spend over $2k on optics like the total comes to with the two you mention, I'd suggest saving a little more to get the best binos in the world. Put them on a tripod and you'd likely see just as much useful detail as that 13-39 spotter.

There's not a lot a compact spotter will do that a 12x50 on a tripod already does. 12x with both eyes vs 39x with one eye and through a small objective. I wouldn't bother brining the spotter unless I really needed it; and I did, it would be something of at least 65mm but probably larger.

If willing to spend over $2k on optics like the total comes to with the two you mention, I'd suggest saving a little more to get the best binos in the world. Put them on a tripod and you'd likely see just as much useful detail as that 13-39 spotter.
Very well said

Tahoe1305

WKR
Doing a comparison between the two mentioned and the higher end models (both 50mm and 65mm) this weekend. Will publish the report when finished.

OP
EricBender208

EricBender208

Lil-Rokslider

That’s where Ive been in Limbo. All the spotter I’ve used in the past were 20-60s so they made a massive differenc, but I never felt I need that big of one. I’ll probably just go with the 16-48 and sacrifice a little bit of weight. Any recommendations on a tripod?

OP
EricBender208

EricBender208

Lil-Rokslider
Doing a comparison between the two mentioned and the higher end models (both 50mm and 65mm) this weekend. Will publish the report when finished.

Just added it to my bookmarks. I’ll be looking forward to your finding.

tony

WKR
I had a Hawke spotter I thought I needed. Very small size
There's a review here if you search Hawke. For the money it seemed pretty good the little I played with it.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I personally like the Gen 1 65mm razor over the mini Kowa. 1lb penalty and a tad bigger.

But view is better. Resolution on Kowa maybe a smidge better but not that noticeable. The FOV on it is rough.