Spotting Scopes

nm_nomad

FNG
I'm looking for a lightweight spotting scope for backcountry mule deer hunting. Any thoughts on Leupold Gold Ring HD 12-40 x 60 versus Vortex Razor HD 13-39 x 56? They're about the same weight 2 lbs 5oz and 2 lbs 6oz respectively. The gold ring is about $500 more than the vortex. Would the Gold Ring be worth the extra $500? Thanks in advance.

Tahoe1305

WKR
The gold ring is a slick setup. And arguably (IMO) the best balance of glass, weight, pack size and cost.

I sold mine. What I didn’t like is how tough it was to zoom and focus. Maybe I had a bad sample, I am not sure. I do miss it at times.

My favorite spotter (haven’t tried a swaro 65mm yet though) is the Gen I Vortex 65mm. I’ve compared it to the Kowa 55, Kowa 77, vortex 85, and the GR.

I really like the dual focus for my use. And it’s a great weight at 48oz. I did mess with the new mini vortex and was impressed. Don’t think it would be in same league as a full size spotter though, but I could be wrong.

The 55 I messed with had an amazing image (better than vortex 65), but I didn’t like the view. It was tight and eye relief sucked.

The bigger Kowa was a bit better too, but three times the cost and heavier.

Hope that helps.

OP
nm_nomad

nm_nomad

FNG
The gold ring is a slick setup. And arguably (IMO) the best balance of glass, weight, pack size and cost.

I sold mine. What I didn’t like is how tough it was to zoom and focus. Maybe I had a bad sample, I am not sure. I do miss it at times.

My favorite spotter (haven’t tried a swaro 65mm yet though) is the Gen I Vortex 65mm. I’ve compared it to the Kowa 55, Kowa 77, vortex 85, and the GR.

I really like the dual focus for my use. And it’s a great weight at 48oz. I did mess with the new mini vortex and was impressed. Don’t think it would be in same league as a full size spotter though, but I could be wrong.

The 55 I messed with had an amazing image (better than vortex 65), but I didn’t like the view. It was tight and eye relief sucked.

The bigger Kowa was a bit better too, but three times the cost and heavier.

Hope that helps.
Awesome, thanks for the info. I'll check those out!

w.travis

FNG
There are some good deals on the Gen 1 Vortex Razor out there right now. Can't beat their warranty and customer service.

4th_point

WKR
Any thoughts on Leupold Gold Ring HD 12-40 x 60 versus Vortex Razor HD 13-39 x 56? They're about the same weight 2 lbs 5oz and 2 lbs 6oz respectively. The gold ring is about $500 more than the vortex. Would the Gold Ring be worth the extra $500? Thanks in advance.
I like the FLP design that the GR uses, but some people have difficulty with the focuser mechanism. It creates more vibration, especially on a light duty tripod. For more conventional designs I do like helical or barrel focus on the baby Razor compared to small focuser knobs.

Neither scope are stunning optically from the samples that I have used. But I have only tried one baby Razor. And I find 40x low for my needs, but either may work for you and your uses.

I would not pay full retail for either, but the GR can often be found on the used market for a reasonable price. I keep an eye out for them, even with the low magnification and optics.

My local Sportsman's Warehouse stores have/had both. Don't know if that's an option for you, but if possible, check them both out in-person, side-by-side. Even indoors is better than nothing, but preferably outdoors.

ETA - I would not be surprised to see the baby Razor show up on the used market soon. Could be a good deal, but I would want to try it first unless it was a screaming deal.

Last edited:

4th_point

WKR
The scope that I would really like to try is another FLP, the GPO TAC45. It has a reticle, so I don't know if that is something that you even want.

Anyway, the scope was released this year and I don't know how many are out there but Doug has them on sale. Might be worth checking out.

I'm curious where it's made. The Bushnell FLP is MIC, and OK for shooting but not great for hunting.

BigStick

Lil-Rokslider
My Leupold 4-12x FFP TMR has been back to The Repair Factory three times.

While recently returned,it is ALL things not warm or fuzzy.

The GPOTAC45 is vastly superior,in all regards.

Vortex can't even begin to hang...............

BigStick

Lil-Rokslider
10x better,in all regards.

Time will tell,how it literally weathers storms,but the Leupold simply sucks..............

4th_point

WKR
Good to hear on the GPO.

Your Mark 4 disassembled itself at the EP-body junction if I recall correctly, right? All three times?

BigStick

Lil-Rokslider
It only puked it's guts and tossed innards outboard,once.

First PUKE

Second Puke was a Reticle Roll.

Third times a CHARM,was a lens delamination.

It's a dismal POS.............

Tahoe1305

WKR
That's true. What specific optical improvements do you notice with the swaro eye piece?
Wider field of view w/ 25-50. With wider fov the zoom is a tad less (that 25-50 I don’t think is actual zoom on the razor). That said I can resolve the same (tested with chart).

So wider for similar resolution. That said the eye relief is a tad more sensitive on the 25-50.

4th_point

WKR
It only puked it's guts and tossed innards outboard,once.

Second Puke was a Reticle Roll.

Third times a CHARM,was a lens delamination.
Quite the spectrum of failures. I thought the FLP was the one thing that they could do right.