Compare & Contrast Exo K4 5000 and Stone Glacier Sky 5900

PA_Hunter8

Lil-Rokslider
I'm interested in upgrading to a new pack system - I live in the eastern US and want something that can haul a whitetail plus gear for overnight backpacking deer hunts at home, but also works well for a 5ish day elk hunt out west every few years. I've narrowed my search down to the Stone Glacier Sky 5900 and Exo K4 5000. Both Stone and Exo seem like great companies, very similar volume, design, and price point. Plenty of people out there seem to absolutely love and swear by each. From the outside, it appears Exo is the trendy pick right now, but I'm more curious on specific differences worth noting between the two designs that aren't so obvious on paper or video. I personally like the bag design and included load shelf on the Stone Glacier, but people are raving about the K4 suspension system and overall comfort which seems legitimate.

I know that ideally I should buy both and load them with weight to do a true side by side comparison, but I am curious to hear opinions from anyone who has used both systems on some Pro's and Con's between the two. For reference, (in case one pack or the other caters best to a certain body type) I'm 6'3 and around 190 lbs.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

I’ve ran stone for years. I run the krux frame though because I have such a short torso. The 5900 is a great bag. Look at the col 4800 as well. I also have the new k4 system as well. 5000 25” frame. I wanted a shorter frame that’s why I tried the exo. Both are great. I’d look at the bag layouts to make your decision. Both haul weight great. I think you can be a bit lighter with the stone though on a krux frame if that’s a factor. Good luck

I have narrowed down my search to exactly the same two models, k4 5000 vs sky 5900. One thing to consider for you, SG only has 1 frame length, EXO has 4 frame lengths. Your height may benefit from the longest frame from EXO. I bought sky 5900 and I think you would be happy with it as well but you would need the Krux frame not Xcurve.

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
I switched last year from the stone 7900 to the K4 and I loved my stone I just got the itch to try something new. I don't think you can go wrong either way but the ease of use with everything on the exo was a huge seller for me. Taking the bag on and off the frame, nalgene holder and comfort of the lumbar pad for me made it an easy choice. I like the belt size better on the exo. They both have hauled out half an elk and just fine just less fuss with the exo. There's other little nit picky things but those for me were awesome!

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
I have tried both but prefer stone glacier. Should straps are more comfortable. Hip belt is not as tall allows for more freedom of movement in hips. Exo frame has too much movement for me. I also prefer the bag shape of stone glacier. I will say that the xcurve stays match my spine exactly. Stone glaciers shipping is 12 dollars and 12 dollars to return so no brainer to try that first. Exos shipping was 54 and 60+ to return.

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
I like my EXO and have no experience with stone glacier. To me the pack carry’s weight extremely well and the new upgrades to the K4 where well worth it. The bag has the right amount of organization to me and allows me to stash my more frequently used items for easier access. Like you I use my pack primarily for whitetail and do a backpack hunt here in Pa with it every year.

Depending on your location your more then welcome to try my K4 on. It’s currently loaded to 68lbs for training.

Last edited:

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I don't have a vote b/c I haven't used a K4 or handled one - but the different frame lengths they offer is really compelling. SG being at 26" works for a lot of folks - those with short torsos like mine can use them, but lower stays would be a bit better fit most of the time.

I can't see having an issue with Exo or SG on the CS front.

Vote for SG sky. I’ve had great luck with SG and their customer service is the best in the business IMO
Have you used the k4?

I can’t compare because I have only tried a SG on, never hunted in one or hauled heavy weight a long way in bad terrain… the 26” frame has always scared me off, I didn’t want that much frame sticking up in the brush

I was getting the itch to try one, but then K4 came along and for the first time, I don’t care about trying anything else, the K4 is a stand alone from any pack I’ve had, and does everything I need it to well, so I can’t compare them

Highlands Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
The K4 is a great pack, and the one I currently own. I had SG 5900, but the frame was to tall…..I loved their lumbar pad though. I called SG and ask them to make me a 24-25” frame and they told me no. So I moved on and bought an Exo, in fact I’ve bought 3.

I used the K4 for a season. It was one of their older models and it creaked…

It drove me crazy. So I made the switch to SG and couldn’t be happier

OP
PA_Hunter8

PA_Hunter8

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate all of the feedback. Sure seems like people who have each love them, hard to go wrong with either of these companies!

Yes sir. Think it was their first gen. Some of my buddies run the k4 and really like them.

I think they are a solid pack. But I have had really good luck with stone glacier.

I love my sky 5900, but mostly because the x-curve frame fits my back so well. It's a little tall and touches the back of my head when loaded, which can be annoying. If you have a curvy back I'd recommend sky 5900 with x-curve. I try not to carry 100+ lbs, but I weighed my bag with quartered out whitetail and it was 121 lbs to my surprise. Carried it well.

Ten Bears

WKR
Yes sir. Think it was their first gen. Some of my buddies run the k4 and really like them.

I think they are a solid pack. But I have had really good luck with stone glacier.

that isn’t the K4. that was an older Exo.

I have owned the SG 5900 on a Krux and on the X Curve.

Currently own the K4 5000.

The bags are both great and come down to personal preference.

However the frame on the K4 smokes the SGs frame IMO. Number one being comfort of handling weight. K4 carrie’s weight like a Kifaru without the extra 2lbs (I know the ARC just came out). The shoulder straps on the K4 are way more comfortable with weight. Pack sits and holds better. Both lumbar pads have things I liked. The ease of the K4 was great.

Both solid companies. I use gear from both just relaying my experience.

I have had a stone glacier 6900 sky talus for about 5 years and finally packing out a caribou this fall I said I’m done. It’s fine until there’s real weight to pack out then I have had issues with my stone. It doesn’t do well past 60-70lbs and bulky quarters. The side zip area and pockets on the 6900 are basically useless. Center zip is great. I’m switching to Exo vs a Barneys pack for this fall season in Alaska.

fatlander

WKR
I like the k4 bags more than the stone 5900. It’s got more organization, functional side pockets, the best Nalgene holster on the market, and I think it’s slightly more comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk